Welcome to the forum

Advice on travel insurance for bikes

edited March 2015 in General
My bike is about to make its 1st trip overseas. I'm not really bothered about having insurance for the whole time I'm away, but I am thinking about buying a policy that'd cover my bike while it's in transit

The premiums look pretty high, which is off-putting, but on the other hand, that does suggest there's a pretty big risk of something going wrong

Have you insured your bike in transit? ... And (perish the thought, but) if I do need to make a claim, are insurers good about paying up?

Comments

• Bringing back to top ... Anyone got any advice on this?
  • If you cover the bike under your home policy under the all risks section this will normally cover it in the uk and abroad
    This is the cheapest way in most cases depending on your insurer
  • velosure?
  • Hi Jane,

We used British Cycling's insurance. Still v expensive but it goes by exact make, model, year of bike etc.

Lindsey
  • Hi

I can recommend Bikmo Plus. It covers bikes and kit year round, worldwide, including in-transit and includes competitions. Industry best!

https://bikmoplus.com/

Super simple steps to get insured. All done online. Backed by Hiscox. Very much a fresh broom in the sector.

For transparency: I should point I am a shareholder in the company, and I'm not peddling wares on the forum. Moreover giving good advice to Club members about a company I can 100% vouch for.
  • jane, i was speaking to velosure this week and they provide this as standard
  • Thanks everyone. I've looked at all the above
    It's not covered on my existing house insurance policy ... and I really only want single trip cover (rather than a whole year) ... mostly for when it's with the airline
    I also found this one from CTC which covers the bike in transit and includes the usual 'travel insurance' cover for me. (It's nothing fancy and doesn't provide new-for-old, but it does cover the risks that matter most to me right now)
  • Have a good time out there Jane!