Welcome to the forum

Etape du Dales - 17th May 2015

edited April 2015 in General
Quite a few CCA entered with the Blue Train using Skipton for pre-ride accommodation.

Just starting this discussion to make sure we all connect before the event.

Comments

• edited April 2015
    I'm in. The delights of the Travelodge await me too

Thai Basil fed us well before the 2014 event, so I'm tempted to go back. It's at no1 Cavendish Street in Skipton (and if that's not a good omen for some classy cycling, I don't know what is)
  • I think meeting at the Thai Basil, as Jane suggests above, is a great idea. How about I book a table for 20:15?

Who's in?

Daniel
  • Yep - I'm in and happy to eat earlier if that suits others.
  • dropping down to collect stuff from Robbie and hopefully Daniel so will meet you all at the Thai for a meal and wish you all well. I'll be doing a circular ride on Sunday which brings me to Tan Hill so I can cheer you all on....we can discuss your estimated arrival times so I can get my ride timed to see you all.
  • Great idea! Thai. Mmmmmmm
  • Can we eat earlier, say 7pm? (That'd make a 5am start on Sunday a whole lot easier)

Daniel - I don't think John can join us, but hoping to see Tania, Martin, Pete, Robbie as well as Jeremy and Geoff
  • I am in for the Thai, not sure if Tania will see the post but I am certain she will want join in.
  • My place is available to anyone who would like to ride.

Contact me here to arrange the transfer if interested.
  • Sorry you won't be there Pete.
  • are you ok Peter? Hope all well with you and yours. Was hoping to catch up with you Saturday.
  • I have booked the Thai Basil for eight people for 19:00 on Saturday in the name of Daniel. See y'all there!
  • Sounds good. I'm hoping to get up to Skipton on Saturday with enough time to ride to Grassington and register. Take a chance to look around the start area/car parks and soak in the atmosphere.

Weather forecast looking ok at the moment. I heard the weather at last weekend's Fred Whitton was not so good.
  • Good luck to all those riding on Sunday. I enjoyed my ride in last year's event. Nice Thai restaurant too.

Save something for the hill after the last feed station. It's a good one...
  • What time you setting off Jeremy? Sounds like a good plan.
  • edited May 2015
    Going to aim to set off late morning (11am) and get to Skipton mid afternoon. You can register between 2 and 5pm.

Will text you when I get to the hotel.
  • Have a good ride everyone, watch out for those hills both going up and down....hope you have some decent weather.
  • I'm staying with family in Shipley so won't be joining you for the meal Saturday. What time are you planning on starting off Sunday. Just had a look at the weather and not looking too great at the moment, light rain and quite windy. A hard ride is looking like a very hard ride!
  • I intend to start riding at 07:00

Bad weather is kind of the norm for this area. Good caution from Graham, the descents are tricky. Oh, and don't look up after the last feed stop!

Daniel
  • edited May 2015
    Coal Road climb? I recall it being tough. Tougher, maybe: the descent a mile or two after! The switchbacks on the big drop down to Lea Yeat were a surprise and had the wheels screeching hot.

null

Check yer brakes! Have a great trip, team! Go For Gravy!
  • Good point Martin. The hot pies at the end are very fine, especially with mushy peas and as recommended above, gravy.
  • Are folks thinking of forming a Blue Train or riding as individuals to achieve a PB time?

FYI my preference is Blue Train.
  • The terrain is such that the hills will magnify the effect of different paces within a group, so holding a train together will be problematic. So, I for one, am not interested in holding back such an ensemble. We have a large group, so can accommodate different approaches.

Let's discuss this in the restaurant. (JT, let us know your thoughts)

Daniel
  • Forecast has improved slightly - roads might stay dry. Expected to be v windy though with gusts up to 40mph

From memory, Tan Hill is v exposed and with a 20mph headwind that could be v tough indeed. But hey, nobody said the Etape would be easy :o
  • I agree with you Daniel, keeping together will be difficult and I don't want people waiting for me at the top of every hill. It would be great to set off as a group at 7am then see how we go from there with individuals settling into their own pace.
    Jane if we time it right looking at the map those strong gusts you mentioned may blow us up that last hill a couple of you have already talked about above. I'm really looking forward to it whatever the weather, a bit of wind and rain will add to the challenge and let's face it 'it really is grim up north'
  • Trying to find registration information.... proving difficult. Anyone know a link or got an info pack?
    I've found the race HQ. Is that where we sign on Saturday afternoon?

Wharfedale Rugby Club
    Grassington, BD23 5BS

cheers
    R
  • I got an e-mail at the end of April. Just forwarded this to you Robbie! (You can sign in on Sunday.)
  • edited May 2015
    Sunrise 04:59 Sunset 21:10

Weather forecast details for Sunday 17 May.

Just checked local weather for Sunday guys....that 40-42 gusting will be mostly in your face from Arkengarthdale to Tan Hill. It's a tough climb with one or two minor descents but not much in the way of recovery. I'll come informed with the latest predictions on Saturday at the thai restaurant.

Weather Conditions
    Sunny Intervals Light Rain Shower Sunny Intervals

Temperature (°C)
    10°C 11°C
    Wind Speed (mph)
    Starts 07.00 Wind Speed 16 mph West South Westerly to Wind Speed 18 mph Westerly with Wind Gusts 40-42 mph Westerly from 09.00 to 15.00 Wind Speed 15 mph West South Westerly from 15.00 onwards.
  • Gonna be fun!!!
  • Good luck guys, ride safe!
  • All the best everyone - I'm very jealous!