Welcome to the forum

edited April 2018 in Time Trial

Comments

• Normal procedure is to swear loudly as soon as you hear the news, and be thoroughly grumpy all Wednesday evening whilst you're sat at home.
  • Borrow a steamroller and roll up and down the road repeatedly from now till Wednesday around 6.30pm?
  • seems a lot of s.cambs is peppered with gravel
  • edited April 2018
  • New event.... run with your bike on your back until Guilden
  • Indeed not good. Just come home that way and while a secondary road position in the left hand wheel track is ok anywhere else is very deep gravel.

Ill speak to James and keep you posted but much like last year when they did the top section we might have to give it a week to bed in.
  • I just rode over it, it was fine. As long as you stayed to the left and behaved yourself on any turns. The only problem is there are signs up which looks like they're going to be chipping the rest of the road through Guilden tomorrow and Wednesday in which case I think we can forget it.

Mountain bikes only TT?
  • The trouble is you cant necessarily stay on the good bit. If you have to overtake another road user, get blown by the wind, get squeezed by a car etc, you will hit gravel. we'll see what the gravel spreaders come up with in the next couple of days.
  • Tim,

So maybe this Wednesday is the time to see if any seniors can beat the youth riders' 10-minute time trial record around our grass track...? 16.0 laps to beat.

It would be freewheel bikes only - road bikes or CX bikes would both be fine if it's dry. Everyone starts together, but after that it's a free-for-all!

Mark F
  • The Hitchin Nomads had their 10 course blocked by roadworks and were able to switch to an alternative "emergency" course (there must be a procedure).

Could we switch to using the chain gang circuit for a couple of weeks whilst this stuff beds in/dissipates? Needless to say this is assuming those roads are not similarly afflicted.
  • take a break folks and try Mark's idea.....would be fun and the track is always there and ours. Try not to cut up the racing line though...ride off the tight inside line if you can.
  • edited May 2015
    I may pop along to that at the grass track! sounds like a nice idea. not going for any record but just spinning round the track on a road bike sounds like a blast.

edit: if I'm back from work
  • For those that really need a tarmac fix then the Stevenage CC run 10s on Wednesday evenings. Start in Three Houses Lane which is off the Hitchin to Codicote B656 road about 0.7 miles north of Codicote. Straight up to Hitchin and back on the B656. Looks like 7pm KO on 27th May.

http://www.stevenagecc.org.uk/Events.htm

Reckon the grass track idea is better.
  • I'll be at Barton if anyone fancies a change of scenery.

http://www.team-cambridge.co.uk/results/events_list.php?events_year=2015
  • More resurfacing today so definitely cancelled this week, resume next.
  • I rode from Guilden to Ashwell on Sunday morning and thought that looked like trouble for the TTs.

Hopefully everyone will be able to get their weekly fix of TT fun if not safe to go ahead. In addition to Team Cambridge (who have always made guests feel very welcome), we (St Neots) ride an 11.2m sporting course from Abbotsley on Thursdays if anyone wants to join us (7.00 for 7.15 start this week - see link for details) www.stneotscyclingclub.info/time-trials/2015-time-trial-dates

Hopefully we're roadwork free for the foreseeable future, although having been messed about for much of last season know how you must feel.

cheers

Simon
  • Ok, so the 10 is off. I think i can run a pop up grass track but just need to check something as i wasnt going to be around for the 10 this week in any case.

Ill post in the morning if its a goer.
  • I'd be up for a pop-up grass track. Either fixed or freewheel as per Mark's suggestion.
  • Right then,
    I can do a pop up grass track tonight. Lets say from 6.30, start at 7.00 for an hour or so. The forecast is saying there could be some slight rain at 8.30 ish.

Marks idea of having a go at the 10 minute challenge is a good one so we will do that and maybe some training excercises or a bit of racing depending who turns up. Im a bit nervous of fast riders on road bikes and would rather get everyone on track bikes if possible. We have about 10 bikes plus quite a few have their own so first come first served.

Bring shoes and pedals and £3. No experience necessary.