Welcome to the forum

'A' group sunday ride

edited January 2009 in Club runs
We had a reasonable ride today and things didn't stay together at the end but we will definitley improve!....What we are finding though is that the later start is not encouraging us to go longer.Today for example by the time we left and waited for stragglers we didn't get going til 09.45.The concensus today was that if we are planning 70 to 80 mile rides it makes sense to keep the start time for this group at 09.00 with a wait of no more than 5 minutes.We can still do later starts because of weather conditions etc. if we need to and keep in touch via this forum.Thoughts please...

Comments

• For those of us who ride over to ashwell an 80 mile ride plus 20 commute is a tall order! We could lap the 10 circuit to add some length at the end for those that need the miles. I enjoyed stretching my legs today, it's not so many weeks ago that I was hanging on for grim death!
  • I agree a great ride; the weather was fantastic by the end! I was however hanging on for grim death and even punctured in Pirton! A 09:00 start is a great idea as far as I am concerned; maybe even earlier as the weather and light improves. Daniel
  • edited January 2009
    For those wanting to go that bit further - I think that a 9am start is a good idea - or earlier if the distance is big. Not sure I'll be doing too many 80s though - maybe one or two. It would be nice to coordinate things to meet up others at the end, particularly if we won't be seeing 9.30am people at the start.

Internet weather forecasts are accurate enough to alter plans [on this forum] on fri/sat if need be. We should decide the route beforehand - or at least indicate approx distance. Carmelo?

Actually I think all club runs should do this - like the Saturday group.

It would be nice to get a middle group back on track. If not, there could be a big distance gap between Bob's group and the distances Carmelo wants to see.

For the record, we 11 went west around Woburn and back. 55 miles, 17.3mph. Geoff bailed early on, unwell. Startled a deer. Good to know you got back safe Daniel. Carmelo did go back to look! Good ride - though the ride could have been sponsored by Road Grit. Hope the rains wash it all away.
  • will post this e-mail I sent round a while ago..think it is relevant to this discussion..comments anyone?/

Glad you got back o.k.Vincent.........was not feeling right and start pace was wrong from cold....was on winter heavier bike also so not good...had to be back earlier.

I am going to reinstate the middle ride...shorter ..say 45-50 miles in the winter and 17's to 18's av.....I am not prepared to change our ethos of morning ride and back for the afternoon......Carmelo seems to be trying to re-establish an outdated club ride mentality (this last point is probably unfair but have left it in for accuracy), all for perfectly sound reasons , which doesn't fit our club ethos..it separates them from the rest. It is a racing mentality and whilst I may have time sometimes I don't want to encourage it. I also seriously doubt I can ever stay that pace and distance. My focus is improving myself and developing the ---club ride--.(meant youth section)(club ride is Bob's affair

If enough want to do this then all well and good.

I turned back...Rode to Gamglingay to see how Garret was and as he was waiting for Will..under the weather with a cold to go out on a ride..waited for them and then continued with both and looped back to Ashwell dropping in on the club ride for coffee at the Bushel

all fine

Cheers

Geoff
  • OK....I didn't realise the middle group wasn't happening!...Of course there should be a middle group and Geoff it sounds like you should take it ...but there are enough riders that seem to want a longer and possibly slightly more challenging ride than the middle group offers(as has been in previous years))..doesn't bother me either way as I am able to train when I like..just trying to set something for those that want it...have looked at last years diary and there were quite a lot of rides of 70plus miles at 18's and we were usually back by 1.00...I am going to ignore the bollox that Geoff has written about me..(you must be very tired today Geoff)..... ALL we are saying is that to achieve the above and be back in time some of us may want to start earlier weather permitting!!
  • 'sright Carmelo....was probably tired bollox.....was just trying to say that one of the good and different things about CCA is the knowledge that peeps could go on several types of ride and still have an afternoon to do summat........
    obviously there are several planned rides for the year for 100 miles and 100K but these are supposed to be club rides which everyone can come on and enjoy the challenge of longer distance without being racked.....they will take the best part of a day to allow breaks . They are more social.

You are right that there are several riders now who NEED a longer distance and have to be catered for...your bag without any doubt...your rules..that's fine.

Some want to move up from the club ride but the jump to yours is too great so we do need that middle ride. Sorry for bad vibes...was not intent, but I don't do two sided..I felt it and said it openly...as they say ..my bad...kiss and make up!!!!!!!!!haha cheers
  • Hello Boys, didn't make the ride yesterday, took one look at the road outside and was covered in snow, so had a brain numbing ride on the turbo. I am up for a 9am start on Sunday, and there are enough of us now who may want to do 70-80 on a Sunday morning, those that do not want to cover that distance there is always or always has beenn a middle group. Any body up for a long ride tomorrow, yes Tuesday let me know.
  • Hi, although I got spat out of the back towards the end I enjoyed the ride on Sunday, always up for a challenge! I'm definitely up for an earlier start, even 8.30 if we decide to go for 80 miles, which doesn't phase me in the slightest. Let's go for it!

Stuart
  • Oooer sounds like a lot of politics going on here....I know us racy types can be a bit of a nuisance but we mean well. With the season 8 weeks away now is not the time for hiding in the slow group or god forbid a middle group. Admittedly the fast group could do with a bit more order but nobody has to work harder than they feel able and the pace is never stupid before ashwell is in range. So if you plan on racing this year now is the time to push the boundries not hide away...

Andr
  • no probs. really Andre....we need all types of ride to be an inclusive club...you are right in that there are some good riders in the club hiding their potential and this group is a perfect one to work up their racing legs....in truth I wish I were up to it but am not, so good luck to everyone. If I'm feeling fit and there is no other ride i will stick on the back as long as I can, and am glad there are those who want to.....an earlier start just adds to the split and omits those who might like to try the ride but don't look into this forum...a point worth thinkiing about.
    There may be some who DON'T want to race but are fit enough who would simply just like to ride with a faster group.
    this is an inclusive club so please don't make racing the be-all and end-all of this ride.
    not sure what you mean by godforbid a middle group..a bit like Tony's labour "middle way"??
    In truth however the club DOES need something between what you and a few are capable of and the steady club ride.
    As the club continues to grow , develop and attract more riders it is inevitable more will race. That is good. It is even possible the club may some day wish to have a team..that's great too. I'm absolutely certain the young riders will aspire to such.
    I hope those with race experience will step forward as and when to nurture this as some of you already do.
    It isn't however the main focus of CCA at present is it.
  • If I may be so bold as to add my spin on this? lets adopt the old sales adage of KISS.
    Keep It Simple Stupid!

as a fat bloke who can't keep up with Carmelo and co at the mo and needs to lose weight while base training, i go middle for diddle! if there is no middle then i go club.... i'm sure everybody is aware of their own abilities and should chose accordingly

I believe that is all there is to it... if all apply this type of mentality then we have a happy Sunday morning :)

and for the record - i prefer a 09:00 start...
  • or even choose
  • So...

Carmelo - I assume a 9am start for 'A' Group? How far and expected av speed?

Geoff - I assume 9.30am start for Middle Group? How far and expected av speed?

Current forecast, 2-8 degrees, mild wind 10mph from south, showers.
  • Middle ride if anyone up for it...9.30.......45-50 miles provided it's not hissing down....av speed 17-18 depending on route and the prevailing conditions...o.k. Martin??
  • oooh bit fast for an old fatty like me ;-)
  • Firstly thank you to Carmelo for turning back to look for me last Sunday - I appreicate this very much. As it was I was close to home and knew my way back.
    Secondly, I would like to comment on the Sunday rides. I am new to CC Ashwell and am impressed by the range of rides ridden on Sunday. I think that it is very impressive that there are several rides for differing needs and abilities. So I am grateful to those individuals leading these rides.
    Daniel
  • SO!.....weather on Sunday looks mixed so am suggesting start at 09.05 at the latest..60 to 70 miles avg 17.5 or so ..that's plenty...should be back by 1.00 with out a stop or 1.30 with....shorter routes home can be shown if needed.....
  • Forgive me if you know all this already but thought some guidance might be useful to help us progress on our rides...

After 15 mins warm up we can start to alternate front riders either in pairs or in 'through and off' style...trying to keep a pace of around 17.5 avg or so..although better to think about 'work rate' rather than speed....

We are aiming for a pace where the riders on the front are working at around 80% of max or so....zone 3 and 4 ..you shouldn't particularly want to hold a conversation ....concentrating on trying to keep a good rhythm, smooth style and relaxed upper body...hopefully not nailing your partner to the floor!...then slipping down the line for recovery and a chat til it's your turn again..we'll build a little each week...if you really are on the ragged edge then do not do a turn until you feel OK even if that means next week...we want you to come back again!

We should to try and keep the group together but it will split on some hills etc....let's re-group as quickly as possible to keep momentum and not have us spread all along the road making it more difficult for traffic to pass...Try and resume positions after a restart...

Re traffic....let's have good awareness,consideration and courtesy and try to get vehicles past us as smoothly as poss....we don't want to antagonise drivers even if a few of them deserve it!
    Sometimes the call need only be 'KEEP TIGHT' if there is enough room to pass and at other times 'SINGLE OUT' when it is narrow

We could practice riding a little closer together as a unit (trust required!)...no slamming the brakes on at the mere mention of a hazard!

As Andre said it is fair enough that when we are within range of home the inevitable burn up can happen for those that want it but let's BE SAFE..
    That's it for now ...
    hope this helps in some way..