Welcome to the forum

CCA Film Night! Tues 3rd Nov, 'Alf Engers, The King' + special guest… Alf Engers!

edited September 2015 in General
Hi all

More details to follow shortly - but a 'hold the date' for now.

This is quite a scoop!

November's club night, Tuesday 3rd Nov, will be at Ashwell Village Hall [TBC] for a screening of this year's big cycling film of the year, the documentary about veteran TT ace and cycling rebel, Alf Engers.

We will have a very special guest... Alf Engers!

He will be there for a Q&A.

A bit more info;

http://road.cc/content/news/139223-film-about-tt-legend-alf-engers-premieres-next-month-buy-dvd-now

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/film-celebrating-career-alf-engers-gets-london-screening-video-153413

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alf_Engers

More details to follow and I'll put a doodle together to get an idea on numbers. All welcome: members and non-members.

cheers!

Comments

• So miffed to miss this as I will be working in Carribean! Alf was a real inspiration to me and many others of my era...a true legend and trailblazer ...don't miss this opportunity and pass on my respect if you get a chance.
  • edited September 2015
    Fancy the film then?

Please add your name to this list on the Doodle HERE.

All welcome, members, friends etc. Please put all people names down, or +1 +2 etc next to your name on the Doodle.

I need to know numbers.

Ashwell Village Hall
    Tuesday 3rd November

Doors open 7pm
    Film starts 7.30pm
    Film ends/Q&A with Alf begins 8.45pm

I'll get a few beers and soft drinks in.

Ashwell village hall location here. There is plenty of car parking space.

All the usual monthly club night stuff can be held there: specifically kit sales. Maybe a Maynard maintenance masterclass?
  • Thanks for organising this! Quite a scoop. Should we all learn the Alf Engers song then?.......
  • edited September 2015
    Thanks to everyone who has signed up for the movie and Q&A so far. We have plenty of attendees already - it'll be a great evening for anyone interested in the man, TTs as they once were and cycling in general.

If you haven't signed up - please add your name to this Doodle at some point before the evening. I need to know numbers to best guess on refreshments. Add your name here:

http://tiny.cc/alf

Be sure to tick the box to say you're coming... or untick it if you find out later on you can't make it.

The film is just 1hr 15mins.
    Doors open 7pm
    Film starts 7.30pm
    Q&A with Alf himself 8.45pm.

Tues 3rd November. Location is the Ashwell village hall. There are plenty of car parking spaces. Location here.

3 minute trailer here.

See you there!
  • edited September 2015
    Note to Graham Duguid:

Are you the Graham I chatted to on the Wednesday Cub Ride this morning about this film. If you are, did you really mean to Doodle that yourself and one other would NOT be coming along to this event...?
  • John M,
    Thanks for pointing out the deliberate " mistake" I will be attending and hopefully amended the Doodle.
  • 30 people +. Would the Tuns do a pop up bar?
  • Lil and I are looking forward to this. See you there.
  • edited November 2015
    Hi all

A reminder - this Tuesday is a special monthly Club night/film night. Ashwell Village Hall. Free entry to all.

We'll have a selection of beers, wines and soft drinks, with a suggested donation price list. And chilli nuts. All courtesy of the kind efforts of Scales Ales of Royston.

Any profits will go to the Club.

6pm - We'll have the doors open to set up.
    7pm - Richard will run a 15-minute Maynard Maintenance Masterclass. This one: 'Don't be afraid of yer bottom bracket'.
    7.30pm - The film starts
    8.45pm - Film ends. Then there's a Q&A with Alf himself

We've got the hall booked til 10pm. Though I might head to the Tuns if there's a nightcap.

I thought at the start I'd run this if we got eight people... Now we've got about 55 coming. It's gone bigger than Star Wars. Am a bit nervous...

John M: don't forget the DVD!
  • Update: that nice smell coming straight outta Baldock and Sutton this evening is from the cakes being baked for the evening too.

Film... and dinner too!

Sort of dinner.
  • my only chance to do the tyre challenge Martin...I'm up for it if someone brings the kit :-)
    see you all Tuesday.
  • edited November 2015
    Thanks to Matt S, john M, richard M, Tim D, Emma, Susan and every one who helped make the night

Most of all: thank you Alf!

Cheers. See you in the Tuns in December. The puncture challenge has been rebooted and just Geoff on there.
  • BIG thanks to Martin for making it happen and to John for getting Alf there. Great night I think.
  • No sooner had Martin finished organising The Wells 123, he then immediately got stuck into organising this film evening, which I know was a considerable amount of work.
    Well done once again matey!

Thanks also to Matt (AKA Scales Ales) and in particular those nice cake ladies for your excellent contribution.

When asked to come along, Alf and Judith could not have been more willing and co-operative and I feel as though I had the easy job...
  • Great night - Thank you.

Has anyone found a link to the song then?
  • Thanks to ALL involved in last nights extravaganza.....was good to see so many members there.
  • Thanks for a very interesting evening. We raised £22.44 for recycle.org, a charity that supplies bikes to Africa. The £1 entry fees for the puncture challenge go to this charity too, so everyone please have lots of goes! The chorus of the Alf Engers song can be found on his Wikipedia page.
    Susan
  • edited November 2015
    Thank you Martin, Matt and John and all involved, we enjoyed the evening.

It's not just CCA members that compete at inner tube changing competitions. Who do you think would win out of Tim versus Ms Vos? However I think both competitors pinch their tubes in this example.

Can you beat Marianne Vos inner tube race

Mark.
  • Pah. Vos using levers to put the tyre on and using a track pump....amateur.

Martin, have a word. Next club night.
  • Yeh - I was wincing watching her wiggle that lever getting it back on, and could hear Richard Maynard's 'Noooo!' from Guilden.

Righto. Step up everyone. The CCA puncture challenge is something else and a true test of dexterity: a wheel with deeper rims than Meteor Crater, Arizona. A tyre made from rubberised concrete, Schwalbe levers like Action Man's tweezers, and a hand pump with a barrel like a biro.

All for charity. See you Tues 1st Dec. Three Tuns. Backroom.

Maybe we'll get a set of rollers down too and drum up interest in t'Monday roller sessions.

December's Maynard Maintenance Masterclass: hub ball bearings. Out, clean, regrease, in.
  • Thanks for a great evening all. Special thanks to all the organisers and of course the most inspiring and graceous Alf.

Roller Monday's are an awesome part of winter training. Like circuits but on a bike. You are all missing out if you don't give it a try. And if you haven't ridden rollers what better place to learn, with skilled coaching from Cca's own British Cycling coaches.