Welcome to the forum

CCA Hill Climb 2015, Sunday 11 Oct

edited October 2015 in General
As per previous years, the CC Ashwell hill climb championship is decided by combining two local hills.

First hill… the Baldock to Weston hill.
http://www.bikemap.net/en/route/3294890-chalk-hills/

Second hill… Coombe Hill.
http://www.bikemap.net/en/route/3294891-coombe-hill/

Sunday morning, 11 Oct. More details to follow. All very welcome.

Comments

• Ok, the plan....

First hill in Baldock is first rider off at 9.30. Ill be at the start for signing on from 9.00. Cost is £3 or £4 for non CCA.
    Its a bit tight at the start so can we park with consideration for locals and all keep out of the road and generally be nice.

Second hill will be as soon as everyone has got over there usually between 10.30 and 11.00. Probably best to ride over as a group.

Who we need....

I will timekeep but we need another timekeeper at the start and a holder upperer. We could also do with a marshal to watch the right hand bend on the first hill (DO NOT CUT THIS CORNER!) and the entrance to the horse vets on the second. Without these volunteers it doesnt happen.

After the second hill me and the kids are heading off to Pirton to help build the CX course and have a bit of sneaky practice. It would be fab if anyone else could come over and help too.

See you Sunday, hope the weather will be like last year!
  • Not planning to ride this one so I should be there to help.
  • edited October 2015
    When you're half way up chalk hill on Sunday, remember it's not that steep!...

Youtube
  • Crikey, 38%! would be interesting in the wet.

For reference, the club and course records currently held by Will are...2.06.3 and 4.27.7

currently looking like Sunday will be dry, overcast with light winds. Perfect hill climbing weather.
  • Much like our hill climb supremo the chap in the clip also has terrible socks.
  • I've always thought you're socks were on point Will!
  • Hill climb practice!

Me and Matt S are going up and down the beginning bit of the Little Chef/McDonalds hill in Royston for half an hour - Friday evening 8.30pm-9pm. 10 reps or so.

Charge yer lights and see you there.
  • It was agreed at the recent committee meeting to include a "no gear change" rule for the Hill Climb (i.e. from one hill to the other).

Bike, wheels, hemet, clothing etc. Any setup is fine as long as it's the same for both hills.

See you Sunday
  • Thought you meant you couldn't change gear while riding....
  • Great club event today, thanks for organising it. I accidentally stole number 8! I shall bring it to the cyclocross next week.
  • edited October 2015
    Well Done everyone, especially Mitchy and Jenny - club champs.

BIG thanks to Tim and James for making it happen and for Martin for the superb taste of flanders!

• Great morning out. Thanks for organising it. Well done Champs! Great riding.
  • Cheers guys; excellent as ever. Definitely - the big ring is the solution on the first hill (to avoid changing-up front rings under strain). Hot tip - start on 53/21 which seem good all the way to the bend and don't sit! Cheers Andy
  • Many thanks to Tim and James for time keeping etc and also to Martin for supplying the refreshments, chocolate and beer, now that's what I call the perfect recovery tonic! An excellent morning out apart from the hill climbing!
    John
  • I can only echo everyone's comments. Big appreciation to all.

It deserves more participants as its "must try" and I bet you would love it.
    Great meeting those I have not seen for a few months.
  • Add my agreement. Thanks to Tim & James.
    As Graham says, you have to try it. Give me some competition for the Lantern Rouge.
    Three years in a row. Go me.
  • Well done everyone! Sounds like you had a fab morning, followed by beer....always good. Well done Jenny and MItch and to everyone who did it x sorry to miss it, had to work! (With a terribly sore head) hope to see you all soon.
  • Great morning out. Crackin' weather really. Good to mingle with everyone. Well done Mitchy and Jenny - well earned and deserved champions.

Big thanks again to Tim D and James McK for their timekeeping and course set-up.

Friday hill training I think worked with me training buddy Matt. And extra cowbell-enhanced Didi devil motivation surely helped us all save a few seconds. They'll do anything for a fun size Mars Bar.

Went back to Coombe Hill to see the Vulcan bomber flypast. Watched as it distantly soared a mile east off course. No wonder it's being flippin' taken to a museum.
  • Seriously...everyone should try this. 9 minutes of pain for a whole morning's entertainment, that's a good ratio in my book. You've got to be in it to win it...and that might actually happen!

Thanks to Tim and James, and Martin and crew for the beer and cowbells.