Where are the wabbits ?
Captain wambling else where
Duck! Wabbit ! Duck !
But loony tunes go on

See you next week
Elmer

Comments

• Yo Ho!

What the Fudd are you on about, Cap'n Elmer?

Were you on the grog, I say, were you on the grog, boy?

Looney tunes, indeed.

Foghorn Leghorn Dutchman
  • Anyone out tomorrow?
    Might be a bit breezy but nothing like as wild as today
  • Yep, planing on coming out. Is it possible to encompass a remberence service at 11am in a suitable village.?
  • Hi Jane, I was planning to swing by at 9:30 to see if anyone was coming out to play.
  • edited November 2015
    Hoping to be out. Looks like it will be a rudderless ship with the Captain gone awol.

Maybe head south and enjoy a tailwind home? Head down to Watton-at-Stone, Datchworth, Knobworth, Codicote, Whitwell (Emily's anybody?), Lilley Bottom and back via Langford. Happy to go with the flow if others have better ideas.

Everyone bring a bike fitted with mudguards please - the lanes will be filthy.
    JP
  • I was also thinking of a ride where I'm being pushed back in the second half.
  • Watch the woad, wabbits
    Avoid the looneys,
    Duck if they are daffy
    And be vewy vewy quiet,

EF
  • Excellent

Duxford loop might be good - plenty of villages for a pause at 11am, as has become the tradition for this ride
  • edited November 2015
    About 10 out and the usual eclectic mix of CCA members on the 9.30am. Headed south on a loop around Stevenage via Watton and Knebworth. A pleasant ride with only a couple of punctures to hamper our progress. I ended up with about 50 on the clock at club pace.

We paused at Datchworth War Memorial to pay our respects to the Fallen at 11am. Oddly the villagers had already had their minute of silence at 10.30am?

Pete - you didn't look back when Dom punctured outside the Rusty Nail pub. No doubt you cut your losses and headed home.

See you next week when hopefully the Captain will return.
    JP
  • 41miles at 16mph over a lot of leaves and grit. Good steady winter miles that produced mucky bikes and happy riders :)

First time in my life that I've been sorry not to come across a road block at a war memorial. And our only poppy-baring rider was called away v early on. Hope you're ok, David?
  • A great ride this morning if a touch muddy. Still can't believe Datchworth's minute silence was 10.30 and Knebworth 's 11.30 when the rest of the country was 11!
    Highlight was the flood which was a lot deeper than it looked! Thanks all for a good morning.
  • The Royal British Legion branches tend to tour a number of village War Memorials on Remembrance Sunday, obviously can't all be at 11.00. Also the minutes silence may well be timed to coincide with the Local Church service.
  • I was talking to colleagues at work who said this was commonplace. The folks in the churchyard at Datchworth were really friendly and curious as to where we'd come from. Unfortunately one man decided to shout to a young boy across our CCA group whilst we were obviously observing our minutes silence. Maybe I was the only person who noticed this?
  • Yep, same in the Mordens - the vicar shares his/her time between several churches in the parish

That's why the Duxford loop is good on Remembrance Sunday. There's a lot of villages on the route ... and lots of airmen were stationed here during the war, so we have a lot of war memorials and villagers who honour them
  • Slightly ironic. I'm sure it was Dom who told me to turn left and give it some whilst we were single file on that busy quick road. Got a little carried away I think, but did stop for about 2-3 mins just after the turn right off the Hitchin Road. Figured I must have missed an earlier turn, and decided to try and merge somewhere ahead. Oh well, enjoyed the ride and company up till that point. Finished off with 52 @ 16.5.
    Really pleased we stopped and paid our respects.
  • Sorry about that Pete. As soon as I turned the corner my back wheel went away from me and I realised I had a puncture! I tried to holler up the rd but you were like greased lightning...