Welcome to the forum

Night Riding - Bike Lights

edited December 2015 in General
I am considering commuting to work over the winter which is 20miles through some unlit country roads. This will mean mainly riding in the dark and in the past i have been put off as I thought it would be too dangerous. I have noticed recently a few people riding at night with some very good bike lights and it has got me thinking that maybe it is not that bad!

Does any one have any experience with this type of riding and if its advisable? Also any recommendations for lights etc?

Thanks

Chris

Comments

• Can't comment on lights, sorry, but reflectivity is at least 40% as important, and is most effective on parts of your body that emulate recognisable human motions (eg ankles)

Very interesting study on Effect of simulated visual impairment on night-time driving performance if you have half an hour to read it. Here's an abstract: Conclusions: Driving performance under night-time conditions was significantly degraded by modest visual impairment; these effects were greatest for the cataract condition. Pedestrian recognition was greatly enhanced by marking limb-joints in the pattern of “biomotion” which was relatively robust to the effects of visual impairment
  • I dont think it is that bad Chris. Lights are fantastic these days and you dont have to spend a fortune either for some really good kit both to be seen and to see those pot holes on dark lanes. I dont do too much night riding now but quite enjoy it when i do.
    Nat is right about the reflective stuff and again there is tons of it about. I think whats really effective are reflective ankle bands as they have the movement and tell other road users you are a bicycle not a motorbike/ car with one headlight etc.
  • I have two of these;

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/exposure-sirius-mk4-front-light/

One on the bike, the other using the helmet attachment. I've found this to be brilliant to 'communicate' with oncoming drivers, as you can politely turn your head to the side a little to stop glaring them, or look them in the eyes if they don't dip their lights - as they often don't. Or at junctions if you think they haven't clocked you.

Wear a cap whatever the weather, so you can shield your eyes from car light glare.

Having two lights gives insurance against mid-ride battery failure on one. Two lights far apart also help kill off trick-of-the-light scary looking shadows in the road more. Helmet mounts are a doozy for when you puncture.

Dip your bar mounted one, to stop glare.

Lumens? Can of worms. I think 300-400 is plenty - esp with two lights. It depends on terrain and speed, and amount of cars you might have to avoid dazzling/annoying.

With these Exposure lights, you can pick up a clone USB charger cable for buttons off ebay. Buy one and keep one at work.

Get this tape off amazon and get creative with your bike frame - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B010SXCKTC?psc=1

I have two rear lights too. One has an integrated reflector.

Keep an eye out for nocturnal wildlife, especially startled badgers in long grass.

You'll need ski gloves when winter nights really bite.
  • I commute the 16miles from Langford to Stevenage on a mixture of B-roads and lanes via Hitchin. My recommendations are:

All USB rechargeable and get recharge kits at work and home.
    Have at least two rear lights in case one fails.
    Don't have too many flashing lights as this confuses drivers.
    Have a helmet-mounted rear light
    Think about visibility from the side.
    Reflective clothing and overshoes.
    Buy the highest quality lights you can afford
    Exposure stuff is high quality
    Avoid bad weather commuting - heavy rain or ice

Mu current set up is:

Exposure Joystick front - as much power as you'll ever need
    Lifeline front LED flashing
    Exposure Link Combo helmet light (front/rear combo but only use rear)
    Lifeline double rear LED flashing/permanent
    Bontrager Flare (rechargable)

Agree with Tim's comments in that commuting in the dark is no big deal as long as you invest in the right kit and lights. Fixing punctures and keeping your hands warm are the biggest problems I've encountered.
  • Great, thanks for all this help..

You have defiantly given me enough positive feed back to seriously consider doing this.. I think I will have to shop about for lights, I don't think I can stretch to £100 for one front light at this point, I was hoping to spend about £50 for a decent set of front / rear lights (if that's realistic). I all ready have a decent set of front and rear flashing LED lights and will use those in conjunction with any thing else I get.

Great advice about the brightness Martin, gives me an idea of what I need to look for -

Thanks again
  • All seems like good advice to me. I very rarely ride anywhere this time of year without lights on my bike as you're almost constantly dealing with situations that could end up with bad visibility, if it's not low light/rain or fog it's glare from wet road surfaces.

High viz and reflective clothing is great, but it's your lights that will bring you the most attention in glare and fog where the high viz stuff looks the same as all black...

I agree with Jeremy, a good front and back light is better than 20 little flashing lights. People will often look at you and whilst trying to figure out what you are will drive into you. You tend to go towards what you're looking at... I ride with Ayup lights, an Australian company. They're fairly expensive, but your lights are well worth spending a couple of quid on as it's going to make a lot more difference to your visibility and if you're riding a lot at night it's important to feel safe.

Have a look here (don't worry about the prices, I think the exchange rate is currently 300 aussie dollars to a pound or something like that).
  • Yes, a pair of front lights and a pair of rear lights. And some reflective ankle bands.

Reflective material on the back of pedals is really effective too. I've got the yellow one stuck on the back of Look Keos and the red one on my mudguards:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORAFOL-ORALITE-REFLECTIVE-TAPE-SELF-ADHESIVE-VINYL-CHOOSE-LENGTH-WIDTH-COLOUR-/321309154184?var=&hash=item4acf849b88:m:m-oJ9A1GMAJ3lUtnZVzlDWg

Here's another good alternative for front lights. I use two of these (actually I've got the older version PD32). Great for my unlit lanes commute:
    http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/Shop/Fenix-Torches/PD-Series/12922-Fenix-PD35.html
  • Oh yes, forgot about Shaun's lights, they're cheaper and brighter than the sun.
  • I used to commute 16 miles every day from saffron walden to Cambridge, come rain, ice or snow! Lights are powerful enough nowadays that it's not an issue and the number of owls, deer etc I saw made it well worth riding at dawn and before. I used to buy the £30 eBay 1000 lumen specials but they only ever lasted one winter, a false economy. Worth investing more in some decent sub rechargeable lights and 500 lumens is easily enough.

I echo what others have said about not flashing and having two lights, so you have a backup. Another top tip for icy days is studded tyres. They're like riding on Velcro but really work, great for confidence if pretty slow! I only used them a handful of time in the fx bike but was glad to have thm, -8deg was my record and very good gloves are a must.
  • Great idea Chris...I can't talk at length about the technical aspects of lighting, but I can wax lyrical for hours about the joys of winter commuting! It's the best way to clear the head after a busy day at work and really the only chance I get to have any fresh air during the week at this time of year. That said, I only do 7 miles each way a couple of times a week. Barns owls, deer and foxes just add to the experience.

I use Lezyne lights, this one on the back http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-zecto-drive-rear-led-light/
    I can't find the front one online, so I suspect they've changed it slightly. The one I have cost about £50, is bright and really picks out the potholes. Thanks Martin for the tip about two lights reducing the shadows, I'll try that, as I've been spooked more than once by my own shadow!
  • Chris
    A couple of years ago I took Martin,s advise in an exposure light and haven't looked back.
    though do not have much opportunity to commute on a bike at the moment.
    I am very happy with the single front light though two is better if you can afford it. USB charging should not be dismissed as you will burn through batteries or have to buy an expensive charger otherwise. Rear lights and reflective gear can be done on the cheap. Front light is something to put on the Christmas lift. You never know what Santa may bring.
  • Thinking about getting some of the 3M Scotchlite reflective tape

I don't ride in the dark if I can help it. But if I get delayed by a mechanical, or my lights fail/fall off, or I've been daft enough to forget them ... it'll be nice to know that I'll still show up in a drivers headlights. Also noticed that none of my overshoes have reflective material on the back, which I thought was a no-brainer and assumed all the manufacturers would do it as a minimum

How good is the red tape? And how durable - does it cope with curved surfaces (eg mudguard) and weeks of wintry weather? Would it work on overshoes?
  • I bought cateye volt 800 about a month ago and have commuted once or twice a week since along rural roads into Harlow going 16 to 30 mlies round trip. The volt 800 is excellent. It has several settings. There is a consant with an intermittent pulse which is great in the town and the medium setting is superb on rural roads. It was about £80 on Wiggle. The Volt 700 was £70 in Stort Valley Cycles and probably not much different in oerformance fromantic the 800. I have found that I have not needed a helmet mounted light since using the volt. The beam is very wide and gives plenty of light round corners. I carry a spare front light in case the volt fails but have not needed it.

Rear lights have been my issue. I have been using a Moon chargeable rear which is great (£30) but the charge failed twice recently - my error i think in not charming long enough. Again I have a backup but had issues with that this week when my Moon ran out of charge. I bought a basic 2 led light from Decathlon for £2.79 (!! value !!) as my new backup. This can be put practically anywhere and have used on my helmet and also on the frame. It is bright enough but more of a disposable item. I probably will buy a second to carry as extra insurance.

I do enjoy night riding the only issues I have had are with mechanicals. Far harder to sought in the dark!
  • edited December 2015
    I have the powerdrive XL and it does a great job on the dark country roads and have also used it for a bit of offroad at night as well.
    http://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/lezyne-dec15
  • Sorry to bring this to the top.. Thanks for all your advice -

I brought a Lezyne XL1200 front light which is brilliant and more powerful than I actually need! and a lezyne USB chargeable rear light. Both have been really good so far, I have been on a couple of night rides and commuted for the first time yesterday. With the lights and reflective clothing I have brought I feel confident that I am being seen. Its defiantly been a good investment so far and I am hoping to bring back some consistency to my cycling, I have got a turbo but it much more fun to ride outside!

Chris