Welcome to the forum

CCA Belgium Trip 2016

edited February 2016 in General
The Belgium trip is back for 2016!

In previous years, notably 2008-2011, CCA ran an annual 3 day trip to Flanders, which was always popular and a huge success. For a flavour of the 2010 trip when 21 people went, see what people said afterwards: belgium 2010
there's also a great video somewhere that martin did - martin any chance of finding it and posting here?

we'll be doing the same trip again Friday 23rd to Sunday 25th September 2016. all welcome.

This is a social end-of-season weekend, with 250-300 km riding at club run pace, although the Saturday ride sometimes splits into groups to cater for differences in speed etc. The roads form part of the Ghent-Wevelghem and 4 days of Dunkirk races. We start in Belgium but stray into France on the Saturday. Diksmuide is in the heart of Flanders fields so we'll take in some war history, from both world wars, hopefully from Richard Maynard whose insights and route planning have really made the trips special in past years. Fantastic Belgian beer has also played a part in previous trips...

Rough format - Leave early Friday morning, 5:30 am ish. Beat the traffic and early Eurotunnel to Calais. Short drive (1 hour) to Diksmuide where we are based for the weekend, hopefully at the same hotel as before. Lunch then we'll head out for a 40-50 mile ride, maybe to Dunkerque. Saturday is 90-100 miles, usually taking in 4 climbs, the cobbled Kemmelberg, then Mont Noir, Mont des Cats and Mont Cassel. Lunch in the cobbled town of Cassel, then it is literally all down hill onto flat roads and bike paths along canals, with a possible beer/coffee stop in Bergues on the way home. Sunday is a short ride 30-40 miles, maybe to the amazing but sobering Tyne Cot cemetary, with maybe a coffee in Ypres and see the Menin gate before back to the hotel for a shower and lunch then head home in the afternoon, back early evening.

Costs are provisional at this stage. I would estimate £250-£270 per person to cover transport and half board (dinner and breakfast) for 2 nights. That's a single room rate, there'll be a discount for sharing. You'll need spending money for lunches, beers, chocolate etc. Depending on numbers we'll need volunteers to drive - 4 per car is ideal. We may take the trailer for bikes, if not will be looking for cars that can take 4 bikes on a towbar carrier or roof. If you drive you will be reimbursed for fuel and crossing costs, with costs spread evenly across everyone.

Any questions, email me on stef@ccashwell.com or ask on a club run, the chances are someone will be there who's been on a trip previously. nearer the time we'll have a meeting on a club night to share routes/plans, answer questions etc.

to sign up fill in the doodle and say if you are prepared to drive if necessary. belgium 2016

to secure your place you will need to pay a deposit of £50, non-refundable as we will have to pay some costs up front. will finalise costs when i hear back from the hotel. shouldn't need the balance till much nearer the time, say july. if there is money left at the end it will be returned or donated to the youth funds depending on how much.
when you pay please email me at stef@ccashwell.com, thanks.
to pay please transfer to the club bank account:
Account name Cycle Club Ashwell
• Sort code: 20 – 41 - 12
• Account number: 20382167
• Please reference the words: BELGIUM + your surname

looking forward to it already!

Comments

• edited February 2016
    The 2010 trip with pop music background. It gives a good flavour of things.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwcQ2xGMDIs

I may set off the Thursday and ride Ashwell-Calais, via the Tilbury-Gravesend ferry and scenic route through Kent. Approx 110-120 miles. Then ride the 50 miles to Diksmuide on Friday morning. All TBC at the mom though.
  • Looks brill, but for those planning to pursuit, note that the date clashes with the ECCA Track Champs on the 24th.

Sad but true.
  • Looks brill indeed. Would very much like to do this again.

Also clashes with the 3 Peaks which id like to do again. Peaks, Track Champs or Diksmuide?......will have a think.
  • Looks right up my street - signed up on the doodle.
    I will likely ride Ashwell to Calais too (and Calais to Ashwell).
    Great way to cap whatever season you've had.
    Stef - do you want us £50 deposits paying now?
    JP
  • Jeremy - deposit, any time in the next few weeks is fine.
    thanks
  • This sounds like a great adventure. I'd love to do this but need to plan my race calander first.
  • Update.
    The hotel we used to stay in is fully booked, remarkably.
    The owners have another hotel in Diksmuide which I am looking into.

However we could also look to base ourselves somewhere else.
    Someone recommended Kortrijk. Apparently Spartacus stays there for the whole classics season. It's within reach of the area we used to ride in around Ypres but also Tour of Flanders country and the end of the paris roubaix route near roubaix itself. So plenty of potential for interesting rides.
    Kortrijk is 25 mins further then Diksmuide by car and about 18 miles further from Calais for anyone riding over.

Oudenaarde is another possibility, where the Tour of Flanders has finished for the last few years, and home to the museum, curated by Freddie martens. 45 mins further by car and about 40 miles by bike versus Diksmuide. Probably a bit too far..

I'll have a look at hotel options and see what is available and make a decision. Any views / comments welcome. Stick with the old trusted format or try something new?
  • I am sure whatever you find will work for us Steph. It does rather depend upon numbers as to the size of facility we need so maybe it would be good to find out how many are likely to do this trip. We won't have the right atmosphere if we end up in two hotels even if we meet at one location for evening meals so who is up for this?? For myself having done the tour of war sites twice I would prefer just riding on country routes that we haven't done before. There are other options of location we could all enjoy but happy to go with the flow.
  • Thanks Geoff. Chatted with a few people at the first BRRC ride and general view was Oudenaarde doest work. Kortrijk could, and Poperinje also a possibility. Most seemed to want to stay near Diksmuide, and usual formula, but no reason why we cant try out some new roads. I will keep researching and chat to people at the dinner and club night. Looking like around 10 so far which is a good number. More welcome of course.
  • Hi, details of this trip are now confirmed.
    Travelling out Friday 23rd Sept, 07:50 Eurotunnel. Back 25th September 16:50 Eurotunnel.
    At this stage I've booked 2 cars, can sort out who drives/cycles, whether we need the trailer nearer the time. And add extra cars if needed.

We are staying here 't withuis - its perfectly located in the central square (Grote Markt) in Dikmuide next to the restaurant where we'll have dinner and near other restaurants and bars. The hotel is run by Bruno and Lieve who used to run the other hotel we previously stayed in and who we know well. They have private parking, bike storage and "a space where you can meet to play some pool and have a drink... ". As you'll see from the website the standard of accommodation looks really rather nice, a cut above your usual budget cycling hotel!

Cost of the trip will be £260 for a single room, £220 to share a twin, £205 to share a triple. Covers everything except lunch and spending money as per original post above.
    This should be the final cost, unless there is a dramatic change in the £/euro following all this europe in/out/shake it all about nonsense.

Rides - we can finesse nearer the time, but broadly as described above. The queen stage is the saturday when we all ride together over the 4 bergs/monts to Cassel for lunch. Then there a lot of options from there for a quick return or a longer ride. The other rides will be based on local attractions/war history with some new roads thrown in too.

Thanks to those who've already paid the deposit. If you haven't please pay £50 by 31st March to secure a place as I have started to book stuff and incur costs.
    Account name: Cycle Club Ashwell, Sort code: 20 – 41 - 12, Account number: 20382167, Please reference the words: BELGIUM + your surname

Still plenty of room if you havent signed up yet - get in touch if you have any questions. stef@ccashwell.com
  • Sounds great, thanks for sorting this Stef.
    Deposit paid
  • Thanks Stef. Deposit paid. Single room please.
    John
  • Thanks Stef - deposit paid.
    Prefer single room if available.
    JP
  • Singlecroom for me too, please
  • edited May 2016
    Right then. Who's riding with me Ashwell-Diksmuide to meet the gang on the Friday [23rd Sept]?
    I'm going to book ferry and hotel this weekend. I can book for you now: or do it any point later, no major rush right now.

Basic plan;

Thurs 22nd Sept.
    Ashwell-Calais (Dover)

Leaving Ashwell early, like 7.30am. Earlier? I'd like the Dover-Calais ferry around 7pm.
    125 miles approx, via the 'Duchess' Tilbury-Gravesend ferry. Lunch in Gravesend greasy spoon.
    Mostly functional route to Tilbury when in southern Essex. I can't sell it better than that.
    Scenic route through Kent. No A-road madness. Rolling, tight, bumpy little lanes.

Will stay in the charming 2-star Hotel Meurice in Calais. Sticking bike in the owner's basement garage among his vintage car collection. End of day pint in the groovy leatherette bar room.

Approx route;
    https://www.bikemap.net/en/route/3563271-ashwell-tilbury-2016/
    https://www.bikemap.net/en/route/3487334-gravesend-dover-thru-middle/

Fri 23rd Sept
    Calais-Diksmuide

Easy, flat, tailwind 40-50 miles across Normandy and Flanders to meet the team arriving by car in Diksmuide around noon. Route tbc but likely to take in little gem Bergues.

Ride all together in the afternoon.

Have dinner in the Square.

After dinner, off to Diksmuide's very own 'General Stores'.

Stumble out 11ish. Carb load at the Frituur Ijzerlaan a few doors down ahead of the big ride Saturday.

Av it!
  • Martin - I'm a definite for this.
    Fine if you want to book for two or let me know.
  • Hi, for those signed up just confirming everything is arranged, hotel and eurotunnel booked. as above cars leaving friday 23rd sept early morning, back sunday 25th evening.
    will be in touch by email over the next few weeks to tie up details, and also with some suggestions on routes/rides etc. thinking we may have dinner in ypres friday night and get to the last post ceremony but open to ideas.

i should be at the next 3 club nights if any questions, and will bring maps so can chat routes etc.

still some space in the cars if anyone else fancies this.

De bloemetjes buiten zetten!
  • edited June 2016
    Cheers Stef. Likewise... I'm around to chat about riding to Diksmuide. Anyone else out there can join me, Jeremy and Vince so far on Thurs 22nd, for the Ashwell-Calais ride [an easy 125 miles a bit like the Wells ride].

I can sort out Dover ferry and Calais hotel overnighter for anyone so far unsure. Just let me know at any time when you're convinced. Sooner the better, obvs.

A reminder: Friday 23rd would be an easy morning ride Calais-Diksmuide to meet those driving over at lunchtime.

Jeremy plans riding back too. Though me n' Vince jumping in the cars to get back. Actually... Jeremy: you OK sorting your return trip? I can help.

Really looking forward to this end o' season cracker! Big cobbelsh. Little cobbelsh. Grippy cobbelsh. Slippy cobbelsh. I can smell the pig farms already. Bliss.

• gents

please could i add myself to list of cobbelshers.....

i would like to take the "full experience" option please; which is ride over with mertens, vincenzo and JP on the thurs and friday and scrounge a lift back on the sunday

let me know about money/cheques etc and i can send/sort

....pig farms....
  • great news Phil. i'll email you details of payment etc.
  • Hello those riding to Diksmuide...

P&O ferries won't let me book multiple tickets for people and bikes. Ridiculous. You have to do it yourself, and book one person, one bike. Fortunately, it's easy and takes 5 minutes.

Go to this website;
    http://www.poferries.com/en/dover-calais

* You want Thurs 22nd Sept.
    * Get the Standard Flexi ticket [£45 single] so we can get any ferry +/- 4hrs estimated time in Dover.
    * For what it's worth, select the 7.15pm Pride of Burgandy. Remember, there's an official requirement to be there 60 mins before. This boat arrives Calais 9.45pm. The hotel is a 10 minute cycle away.

Bikes get to go on board first and there's something quite cool about riding up a big ramp to a massive empty boat with loads of cars and lorries waiting behind you. Am I selling this enough? Don't ride on deck. The metal behaves like ice.

The hotel is done. If anyone else wants to join us in the Hotel Meurice in Calais, let me know and I'll add you to my booking - or go right ahead and book yerself. I used booking.com. Jeremy/Phil - I've assumed you wanted a room each. Vince, we're saving beer money for Diksmuide and sharing. Rooms are approx £50. Breakfast optional, approx £10. We pay at the hotel so no need to do money stuff now.
  • hi. just so everyone aware, the 2 cars booked so far are currently full on the way back for passengers and bikes, so if we get extra people signing up will probably need to look at an extra car and driver, or use of the trailer. anything is possible, we can accommodate more people, just may need a volunteer to drive and some juggling of bikes.
  • Fab must sort out ferry this week. Cheers for organising Stef and Martaen. The milky bars are on me.
  • To whet yer appetite, I see Rapha have just done another video, this time tootling to three of the trappist breweries - Rochefort, Chimay, Orval. Albeit in the Ardennes, it does carry some of the themes for this year's trip to Flanders.

Happy to talk more about the trip at the next Club night in a couple o' weeks, if anyone still out there and undecided.
  • Up for this too!
  • Oh I love a bit of Belgium. Tempted if there's space, but wouldn't want to inconvenience anyone.
  • My brother is also keen. Not an Ashwell member - he's from the midlands - but we could stick him on the front for a few hours as recompense.
  • ,,,,ferry booked...
  • Great stuff.
    Andy: of course your brother is welcome.
    Probably worth an attempt for us all to catch up on logistics? Next club night good in July. And/or the London club social at lookmumnohands 22 July.
  • Thanks Martin. Do you want 2x deposits?