Welcome to the forum

CCA Spring Grass Track, Sunday 8th May

edited May 2016 in Grass Track
The Spring Grass Track season opener is set for Sunday 8th May, from 2.00pm. (assuming the winter has ended by then)

All categories catered for. In theory the closing date is Sunday 1st May although there will be entries on the line. However it would be super helpful if you could enter beforehand or at least let Max know you are coming. All details below. Max will also be up at Grasstrack on Thursday evening if you want to give him entries then.

CCA Spring Grass Track.

Comments

• There doesn't seem to be online entries for this race on the British Cycling website.
    I'll def be there - ordered my nice new bike for this only yesterday... :)
    Is my provisional BC licence ok or do I need to start taking this racing seriously & get a full licence?
  • No online entries Richard, you need to download a standard track event entry form from the BC website and post it with a cheque to Max, or as Tim says, bring it down to the youth training session on Thursday. Max will have blank forms there too no doubt.

Provisional license is ok but you won't get any BC ranking points if you smash the 8k!
  • We are also running the free wheel Go Ride event for our younger/novice members (and non-members)

Riders must be under 16 and have a roadworthy bike with 2 working brakes and a good fitting helmet.
    This will be an Omnium with different age cats
    Cost is £3 per rider

Any questions please feel free to ask

Sallie
  • edited May 2016
    Hi all

This is going be a great event on Sunday 8th May. Come along! Make it a picnic... Make it part of a day in Ashwell - it's the Ashwell At Home day: nosey around houses, funfair, etc.

But most of all.... Turn up an ride the adult event!!!

Pre-registration is closed. But Max Pendleton who is organising has said these numbers are low for the adult racing.

So - come on - have a go! It'll be good fun in the sun.

For less than £20 you'll get an omnium of good natured racing: likely a 1 lap and 2 lap sprints, short scratch race, long endurance race, Devil and slow-lap. Fixed bikes will be available. Bring pedals and a helmet.

Racing starts 2pm. It'll be all done around 5pm - with the kids racing in between.

If you fancy it: you can enter on the day 12.45-1.45pm. But email Max to give him a better idea on numbers in advance. You don't need a British Cycling licence.

Max's email;

joseph.pendle@live.co.uk

null
  • edited May 2016
    Was a great day last Sunday, fab weather, loads of riders and a really nice atmosphere. Well done to all riders and big thanks to Max, Sandra and all the judges and helpers.

Results of the omnium below which dont quite capture Mitchy's superb 5k win!
  • Great day at our grass track. Loads of riders and spectators. Picnics, coffees and cakes. Probably a bit too hot and in the heat, the ground rock hard and dusty: we were moving fast on the track.

The senior omnium began with the 2-lap sprint. A chance to settle the nerves by completely emptying the tank in a minute or so. Matt S stood out for a great 2nd place in his heat. It all went pete tong for me as I span out into the long grass as Tim in front had a mechanical.

On to the Devil next. With such a massive field, they were taking 2 out every lap. It sort of made it hard for me to work this out tactically. All academic as I ran out of power soon enough and was oot. You could see here how strong Travis had come on in one year.

6 lap race. Next time: let's practice together beforehand to work a train eh? It almost worked this time and we all seemed to do OK here.

5km/15 laps race. Terrifying. But so nice to hear the cheers of support coming along the straight. A better CCA train here trying half lap changes. I held on to super strong Iain's wheel and couldn't help out much. This race was won by the B group that stayed away from the A. I was certain Mitchy had bagged this the way he swept past me at warp speed. 23mm Karvs... interesting choice Mitchy.

Slow race. And ready for a beer now. With so many wobbly track standers, there was a lot of pot luck not getting knocked off by a wayward wheel. I managed to avoid the madness, but missed the opportunity to grab the treats from Mark dangling in front of me. Looking good for 6th-7th on the whistle - but my rear wheel gave way half way around and had to run with the bike to finish. Shoddy mechanic work by me to blame there.

Omnium over... Well done all CCA riders!

So, give it a go everyone. It's racing, with the accent on fun - a great afternoon and a reminder of how lucky we are to have the grass track, especially when you see people traveling in from far and wide.

The kids enjoyed the Go-Racing. Equally as fun and eventful. Nice to see them get up with no fuss when they crashed and tumbled. Another clear benefit of grass track racing.

Fantastic organisation and very grateful for all the volunteers helping out before, during and after. We will be back for September's event. In between there's Biggleswade in July.

cheers!

• edited May 2016