Welcome to the forum

edited April 2018 in General

Comments

• Interesting stuff Andy.

You might not remember but we met about this time last year. It was my first time out with CCA we were on one of Jame's Sunday rides and got chatting about this.

My sister ended up eating 'clean' after a number of unsuccessful years trying to resolve health issues. As a result of her enthusiasm, I've read a few books etc, and generally get it. I have even made a few changes to my diet but just never been able to fully switch: the old bad eating habits just keep coming back.

I'll have a rummage at you blog site and see if I can get myself inspired to commit. Well done though, that's quite a transformation.

Finlay
  • edited April 2018
  • edited April 2018
  • Hi Andy,

I don't think we've met on club rides, but I too find this area very interesting to the point i did a nutrition coach qualification (not a nutritionist) when i was out due to a few operations.

Background, I lost 6 stone in 6 months a few years back by a macro based diet through increasing fat & protein and limiting/timing my carbohydrates around training and also working my arse off at the gym (all pre cycling). When I moved into middle distance/half ironman triathlons, I was fine until the running on this diet but would bonk hard on the run. Since then I have experimented on my training and work out I need 60g carbs for intense endurance sessions over 2.5 hours. In very little time (limit benefits of training) I took off almost 45 mins from 2 races with similar route profile, by increasing the amount of carbs during the bike leg of the race.

I have recently followed this up by having my resting metabolic rate (ratio or calories and fat:carb ratio at rest), which is what I would anticipate is manipulated during the ketogenic process, and VO2 Max to validate the point at which my body went into Anaerobic state and relied solely on glycogenic stores and Carbohydrate intake.

I'd be interested to see your results when undertaking fully Anaerobic exercise such as Crossfit. Due to the individualised nature of the "experiment", it's a shame what would the result would be if you did consume carbs.

I'm not a man of science but I do read books/articles/"bro science on google" in this area. I'm looking to start a post grad diploma in the next year in this field and also conscious what works for one person may not work for others - also being fit doesn't mean healthy.

I haven't intended to challenge any of your results as you have proven them, just interested and shared my story.

Gareth
  • edited April 2018
  • edited April 2018