Welcome to the forum

CCA Belgium Trip 2016

Comments

• Yes please 2 x deposits. Details above.
  • Andy are you and your brother riding over or in a car? Single room or twin?
    Robbie - same question?
    Thanks
  • Will have a look at logistics this week but guess we may be needing an extra driver now. Any volunteers?
  • Yes. Think I'll drive so room for another bike and passenger.
    Probably best single room knowing my snoring after the monks nectar!
  • Stef - We'd like to ride over if poss - fancy a challenge. But don't want to stop someone else getting the chance. If that fits with other people's plans I'll get cracking with deposits. Twin room should be fine, although I might need earplugs :-)
  • Hi Andy. I'm sort of organising the ride there. I will book you a twin room in Calais for you and your brother. Stef can help on diksmuide room. We need to check on car and people space for the return journey. If there's no current space, I can draft in my dad as a driver/helper.

Maybe next Tuesday's club night is a good time to talk about the trip? I'll hopefully be there.

Note the Ashwell-Wells Classic ride on Fri 9 Sept. It's almost the same mileage as Ashwell-Calais so good training.
  • just don't ask about the Dover hill before the ferry Andy :-)
  • I'm in - deposit paid, single room please Stef and happy to drive - I have a towbar carrier for 4 bikes.
  • Also in if its not too late, didnt get in the 3 peaks. Happy to drive also. Can discuss further at club night.
  • Thanks all. All recent additions are in Robbie, Andy R +1, Andrew, Tim.
    Will have to say trip is full for now until I've checked room status with the hotel.

Will also look at transport and post something here, but will also be at club night next week to chat.
  • Hi Andy_R: I have booked a twin room in Calais for you and your brother in the Hotel Meurice, Thurs 22nd Sept, for the ride over.

You and your brother have to book your own ferry.
    See earlier in this discussion for details and how. It's dead easy.
  • Martin - We'll book the ferry out imminently.

Stef - 2 x deposits paid for my brother Neil and I. Can't wait!
  • Oh, and thanks Martin for booking the room!
  • Ferry booked for both of us (Neil and I). Cheers chaps - most exciting :-)
  • edited June 2016
    so this is what i have - correct me if i've got it wrong

travelling over in 4 cars (drivers to be confirmed):
    stef
    vic
    geoff
    john r
    mc
    robbie
    andrew r
    tim d

cycling over and travelling back in the above cars:
    martin l
    vince
    phil keen
    andy r
    neil r

cycling there and back:
    jeremy
  • Hi Stef
    With 14 cyclists looks like we only need 4 to 5 cars. Doesn't look like we need the trailer. 8 cars and drivers seems excessive. I'm happy to not drive and share a lift. What do others feel?
  • no geoff i wasnt suggesting 8 drivers - thats just the people who are in cars.
    Apologies for any confusion! i will edit.
    yes it looks like 4 cars and no trailer at the moment but i will confirm.
  • Booked on the pride of Burgandy yes.
  • like martin i will be at club night tomorrow after 9 if anyone wants to chat belgium. will bring some maps.

cars - i've emailed the drivers

rooms - martin l, vince, mc, tim d - any preference on single / twin?

itinerary -
    Friday - riders and drivers meet for lunch in diksmuide then 40-50 mile pm ride, probably out to Dunkirk

evening - we could eat in Diksmuide or if anyone is interested could drive to Ypres for dinner and catch the last post ceremony at the Menin gate. back to Diksmuide for beer.

Saturday - classic 4 monts ride - lunch at Cassel. will plan a 100 mile route that takes in an afternoon stop in Bergues. or shorter options possible too if anyone doesnt want the full 100.

Dinner in Diksmuide at De Vrade in the market square then beer.

Sunday - ride to Tyne Cot and Ypres for coffee. Back to Diksmuide for shower / lunch then head off to Calais.

Routes will be similar to previous Belgium trips but with a few new bits chucked in.

Come to club night if you want to discuss any of above
    Cheers
    Stef
  • Chaps... with big regrets and sulks, I've gotta pull out of the trip due to Jess being out the country the same weekend with a wild child at home.
  • Thats a shame Robbie :(

Stef, cant make the club night tonight, but just to confirm....ive paid the deposit and am happy to drive. I can take 4 people and potentially upto 8 bikes if needed, 4 on the roof, 4 on the tow bar. not sure how that works with tunnel booking.

Dont have any preference re. sharing or single, whatever fits in.
  • Cool, thanks MC. Yes will be at August club night with maps.
    In Provence at the moment, staring up at Ventoux.. but you didnt need to know that...
  • Triple , got it, no problem.
    Rode up today. Brutal wind at the top and huge wind chill factor. 18 deg in Bedoin at 830.a.m., 4 deg with wind chill at the top. Numb fingers and toes on the descent.
    Already parked up with camper vans etc mini Dutch corner, the Devil, loud music - loads of atmosphere.
    Not surprised they are considering shortening the finish tomorrow though... wind today was 70 kmph and forecast stronger tomorrow... hope they can ride the full stage. Wind will make for an interesting stage...
  • sadly stopping at chalet Reynard...ho-hum. Well done Stef..envious.
  • Hi Stef, If Robbie's space is available then I'd like to take it please?

I can drive if we need another driver

Gareth
  • Hi MC. I have the same problem tonight, dont think I will make it. Martin should be there if anyone wants to chat Belgium. I will definitely be at the September club night with maps.

Money - £50 deposit is fine for now. Will sort out the balances nearer the time and let everyone know what they owe.

Gareth - sorry should have said Robbie's place has been taken. However I think another space just come available so should be fine. Will confirm shortly if that is OK. We are OK for drivers at the moment but thanks for the offer, might be useful once the final numbers are clear.
  • Payment details
    Account name: Cycle Club Ashwell, Sort code: 20 – 41 - 12, Account number: 20382167, Please reference the words: BELGIUM + your surname
  • Thanks Steff. Just let me know as soon as you have the confirmation.
  • Gareth - your place is confirmed, as someone else has regrettably pulled out today.
    If you can pay the deposit as above that would be great. Thanks.
  • Will do this evening. If I don't need an addiitonal driver, then I may cycle out to Belgium as well.