Welcome to the forum

CCA Wells-Next-The-Sea 123 Classic, Fri 9th Sept 2016

Comments

• Count me in please. Just a one way ticket though, as staying in Wells again for the weekend.
  • Sounds good add me on please
    James
  • Martin
    Vic
    Stef
    Matt S
    David N
    Jess
    Rob
    Jeremy
    Jon S
    Tony
    Bryn
    Timmer
    Stiggers
    Dom B
    John R
    Robbie
    Will
    Steve J
    Pete W
    James

• I thought I was going to be on holiday but that's not until the following week, so add me to the list.

Jim
  • Martin
    Vic
    Stef
    Matt S
    David N
    Jess
    Rob
    Jeremy
    Jon S
    Tony
    Bryn
    Timmer
    Stiggers
    Dom B
    John R
    Robbie
    Will
    Steve J
    Pete W
    James
    Jim
    Dan H
  • This is a strong group! We are gonna fly there.
  • I'll come along to slow you all down!

Andy R
  • Please add my name to the list Martin.
  • edited August 2016
    Martin
    Vic
    Stef
    Matt S
    David N
    Jess
    Rob
    Jeremy
    Jon S
    Tony
    Bryn
    Timmer
    Stiggers
    Dom B
    John R
    Robbie
    Will
    Steve J
    Pete W
    James
    Jim
    Dan H
    Andy R
    Fletch

• Have three projects vying for Friday meeting slots so looking unlikely for me but will try and make it if I can. This doesn't deserve a Martin picture just yet
  • Should be there! Looking forward to this! Need to work out some kind of front light in the meantime
  • Just had my day holiday approved. You can add me to the list!
  • Can Steve Douglas be added to the list please. Non member, but has been to the TT. Thanks.
  • Martin
    Vic
    Stef
    Matt S
    David N
    Jess
    Rob
    Jeremy
    Jon S
    Tony
    Bryn
    Timmer
    Stiggers
    Dom B
    John R
    Robbie
    Will
    Steve J
    Pete W
    James
    Jim
    Dan H
    Andy R
    Fletch
    Nat
    Taff
    Steve D

We will split into two groups 1-2 minutes apart to Ely. We should be fine all together thereafter as the roads are empty.

• Good job there are 2 fish and chip shops!
  • edited August 2016
    @Martin L what is on the cards for this year's finisher badge? How about a Gene Wilder tribute.... Blazing Saddles?
  • edited August 2016
    Ahhh.... Gene Wilder. Robert Webb said it best yesterday; 'The vulnerability in his eyes & the rage in his perfect voice."

I've already done t'badges. With a brief of 'What would Strava design? With added pun.'

However. I'll knock out 5 Blazing Saddler badges for those that go above and beyond the call of duty on the ride.

Forecast looks very promising at the mo.

• devastating. have a meeting in Worthing Friday 9th. Blazing Saddles - more like Farts and pants combined.
  • More beans Vince? Nevermind. There's plenty of riding to be had in Belgium.

The Three Tuns have just confirmed they'll open at 8am especially for us, offering pre-ride pepping coffees. £1.50 per cup. Exact change will be appreciated.

We set off in two groups, 1 minute apart, until Ely, promptly at 8.30am.

The weather forecast at the moment is very good.
  • BBC long range weather forecast has a tail wind ( WSW ) and 24C for the day :-)
  • Martin, please add my name, see you at the Tuns.
    cheers Jeremy
  • edited September 2016
    Martin
    Vic
    Stef
    Matt S
    David N
    Jess
    Rob
    Jeremy
    Jon S
    Tony
    Bryn
    Timmer
    Stiggers
    Dom B
    John R
    Robbie
    Will
    Steve J
    Pete W
    James
    Jim
    Dan H
    Andy R
    Fletch
    Nat
    Taff
    Steve D
    Vince
    Jeremy B

• Quick Q - How do we get back? Train? Do we need to pre-book tickets?
  • edited September 2016
    Train from Kings Lynn. No need to prebook. Cycles are allowed at the discretion of the rail operator. So do what you can to not get the staff or fellow passengers inconvenienced. We will have to stagger it. Some will need to sit it out in the Fenman pub opposite the station to let those that really need to back get the first train available. Our trains to aim for are the 5.36 and 6.36pm. Approx 1hr 10mins to Royston then Ashwell etc. The 7.37pm train is 1hr 44mins.

Some other tips;

Please check your tyres and bike condition.
    •If there’'s a puncture, please all use the time to check your tyres for flints.
    •Keep it super tidy on the A1198 up Arrington hill. And when briefly on the A10, of course.
    •No stopping unless we are all agreed/aware we are stopping.
    •Only strong and confident riders at the very back and front please.
    •I’'d avoid too many chips. They can be like lead weights. Fish and peas is an idea.
    •The Fenman pub garden is nice enough at King’s Lynn for a refreshment. There’'s also a big Morrisons just a minute from the station.
    •Buy your train ticket back in groups of four to get a discount.
    •Every finisher gets a limited edition badge. Supreme heroism and audacity gets you a Gene Wilder.
    •It’'s less the legs and more the eating on this ride it seems. Keep eating/pack more than you think.
    •Sunset approx 7.30pm. Bring decent lights.
  • I'm not going to do the wells and back ride this year, I'm racing on he Sunday and I think that might kill me! Will pop out for a bit though.
  • I need to get back to Letchworth late afternoon but have been persuaded by Martin to join as far as Downham Market.
    Depending on the pace we set I might head for the stop at Narborough then head straight to Kings Lynn - will make the call on the day.
  • edited September 2016
    Spoke to SteveJ at last night's chaingang. Looks like a low level of interest in the there and back option this year? If nothing changes then I'll go with the flow and get the train back from KL.

JP
  • Apols all, will have to duck this one - don't wait up for me. Gutted :-(
  • Looking forward to this, cheers Martin!

Trying to work out what I need to bring (/can get away with not having to carry). Have option of arm warmers + base layer vs a(n annoying to carry) wind jacket.

Do most people just ride to ashwell and home after? Probably what I'm thinking.... Makes train groupsave easiest?