Welcome to the forum

Ashwell Grass Track event this Saturday (10th Sept)

CCA is running the last grass track event of the season this Saturday at Smallgains. Sign on from 1pm, racing starts at 2pm. There is racing for kids too - both fixed wheel and also Go-Ride racing for kids on free-wheel bikes (all ages). The weather forecast looks good, it's always a fun and pretty laid back way to spend an afternoon.

Max Pendleton is managing entries and although the online entries are closed, he's happy to take advance entries by post / e-mail. So far there aren't that many people entered so if you've ever fancied having a go, this would be a great opportunity.

Max Pendleton
5 Jackson Place, Chicksands, Shefford, Bedfordshire, SG17 5TJ
joseph.pendle@live.co.uk

Read more at https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/138258/Ashwell-Autumn-Grass-Track#dHFzgO4yTgFHZpXf.99

Comments

• Great minds
  • Does anyone know if this likely to happen (given the forecast...)?

I accidentally booked myself in the vets race at Redbridge tomorrow PM (since the kids will be down there in the morning) so I need to know whether I can use the grasstrack as a valid excuse to get out of it!

S.
  • At the moment Max is up for it, so we will give it a go. Could be a new sport, a sort of track cross!

Hog Hill will be great though with all that rain!
  • Cool - i'll bring my wadders
  • I take it the event was called off / suspended? It were mighty wet in Guilden?
  • No. surprisingly it all went ahead. a bit depleted in numbers but some good racing and no crashes despite being a bit slippy. Ill put the results up in due course but Mitchy was flying and newcomer Matt Porter was going well in his first grass track outing.
  • This is what British sporting events are made of. Leaden skies, turning to light drizzle and at one point horizontal rain, then the sun pops out, back to mizzle, while everyone thrashes it around an increasingly muddy field.

Good times at the end of grass track season event on our club's field. The weather seemed to have really put many people off, but we had some great racing. I think the weather pegged people back a bit, wheels were slip sliding not just on the corners but the straights too. I had great fun fighting it out with riders to the line.

The junior racing was great to watch, including the freewheel stuff. The kids utterly oblivious to the conditions. Loving it. That VC Londres William Holland-Leader lad is one to watch, though his legs spin so fast - you can't actually watch them.

I was delighted to make the sprint final to get the ringside seat/saddle to watch Mitchy storm it. What a season he's had on the grass track. Great for me until I lost it on the fast corner, and got spooked. This discipline is power, and bravery on the corners.

I've grown to love the pain of the endurance races. I'm sure the 'Laps to go' board malfunctions and the numbers seem to go up sometimes. Anyway, I enjoyed trying but failing to reel in the Flying Foulkesy and then going tete a tete with an Ipswich CC rider.

The Devil is always great tactically. And we all enjoyed our It's a Knockout styley egg & spoon race. Actually, toy Minion in a spoon. Boom! 2nd place and a pair of Minions socks to show for it. Get in! And 4th in t'omnium overall. Whoop! Prize money!

I also enjoyed riding against new member Matt P from Tadlow way. He's got the spirit of it all right: turned up, having never ridden fixed before or even seen the grass track. Grabbed a bike from the container, stormed it, and in between watched his lads compete in the freewheel stuff. He's a very strong rider and good to have on board.

Everyone should have a go at the grass track next Spring: it's free to all members, it's a very welcoming atmosphere, very social, competitive but super friendly, great opportunity to talk to other members, and legends like Max Pendleton, and an excuse to get another bike in the garage.

Thanks to everyone running the day.

• Best prize of the day that Martin - I'd echo your advice to come and ride grass track next season!
  • Results below....

Senior Omnium
    1st 18 Dave Mitchinson CC Ashwell 712895
    2nd 23 James Holland Leader V C Londres 402464
    3rd 22 Laurence Lisher Green Arrow CC 942811
    4th 25 Martin Lawless CC Ashwell 719463
    5th 24 Iain Foulkes CC Ashwell 836892
    6th 26 Matthew Porter CC Ashwell 1169703
    7th 19 Paul Rippon Ipswich BC 873594

Ladies Omnium
    1st Jane DeBoltz Ipswich BC 928194
    2nd Wendy Atkinson Ipswich BC 1032893