Welcome to the forum

Merino Base Layers..... Worth it?

edited December 2016 in General
Anyone have any thoughts on merino base layers, good or bad? ...... Is it really worth £40 for one LS base layer, when that will buy you 4 decent 'normal' (planet-flex) LS ones..... Are they fine with constant wearing/washing?

Warmth is important for me now, I've grown up a bit ;)

Many thanks

Comments

• Yes swear by them. I Normally wear two different types under a winter jacket at this time of year
  • I'll second that. I've got a couple of Helly Hansen warm freeze merino base layers. Awesome bits of winter kit, esp when you have got as little body fat as me :)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/helly-hansen-warm-freeze-1-2-zip-top-aw16/rp-prod65449
  • Thank you thank you! Deffo good enough recommendations for me!
  • I have a planet x one which was on some sort of deal. Warm and comfortable
  • Can't beat 'em mate....and if your good, Santa may have some on his sleigh - in blue...!
  • The best I ever found was a heavy weight Rapha morino wool shirt sleeve. Can use arm warmers if you need the long sleeves but could go long sleeve if you prefer
    All other morino wool under garments have been of a less superior quality and ususally lighter. But are fine for the average winter temps.
    I am not a rapha groupie but the quality if the one I bought years ago was great. They can be used more than once without the need to wash unlike a smelly Hanson. But only in a 30 wash. Or they will shrink big time.
  • edited December 2016
    John hah! Got a dhb in the end. Didn't wear it on first festive50 as was too warm for wool. Vince yeah the rapha ones look v good and all my friends say don't look at anything else. Pretty impressed with this 'heavier' dhb one though. Deffo feels like it will be warm enough for deep winter with a jersey / jacket over it. Not sure if it's a new, improved model - didn't have many reviews
    ...... Hopefully see you on some more 50's. Couldn't today - had to lie in.