Welcome to the forum

Wednesday evening road racing skills training @ Welwyn

edited December 2016 in General
Just back from the weekly Wednesday evening 'road riding on the track' coaching session run by Richard Maynard, that frankly I didn't know existed or what it was all about. I just turned up to say hello to Richard really. Luckily, I was on the road bike so when I saw what was going on, got involved. It was really good.

It's 7-9pm. £7. Though I turned up nearer 8pm and simply joined on no probs. It's a series of different sessions: all sorts, from chain gangs, sprints, technique, riding close together group riding stuff etc. The accent is on road racing skills. When it's dry, Richard does more crit simulation work, marking out the track at Welwyn with tight corners etc. Bottle passes. He's going to bring race radios down and have a laugh. The official objective of the sessions; 'To develop the Road Racing skills and to increase and maintain riders’ fitness levels in preparation for the 2017 racing season'

It's a right good workout. I will try and make another one. There is a mix of skills and abilities on the track.

Richard is keen to get more riders on to the sessions. If he doesn't know you/your riding skill, you should go to their novice session on Saturdays 9-11am, to be vouched as OK to group ride on Wednesdays.

More details on WW website; http://welwynwheelers.org.uk/sessions

Comments

• Weather permitting I'm definitely going to get to next Wednesday in preparation for taking the plunge next year. Do you think its worth me turning up for a Saturday session Martyn, or diving straight into an evening one? Happy to give lifts provided your happy piling bikes on top of each other in the boot of my car. I'm in Royston
  • Hi Chris. I think it best to drop Richard a line on whether OK to dive in on Wednesday, or do Saturday first. He might be fine knowing you're a CCA chaingang regular. He might want to see you prove yourself for a few laps before a thumbs up. He might want you to go to Saturday's session all the same. I don't know. I'll send you his email address privately.

I will try and get there too if I can. For all or some of it.

If the weather is poor: they'll cancel.
  • Hi, my thinking is if you've done chain gang with the club then you'll be fine at Welwyn on this session. It would help if on your first visit you could arrive about 10-15 minutes early so I can introduce myself and the other coaches and use the opportunity to go through a quick safety briefing.

Saturday mornings are also open sessions between 9 and 11 and are aimed at club riders looking to up their skills and fitness. I coach this as well and would be happy to see riders of all abilities.

There is a lower age limit on Saturdays of 14 and second year under sixteens on Wednesday evenings. You'll need a road bike in good condition, mudguards are allowed.

Whisper me if you need to know any more.

Richard
  • Richard

Would Sophie be ok doing the RBOT session on a Wednesday? She will be first year under 16 in a couple of weeks but has been doing chain gangs with the ODA.
  • Yes, last session before Christmas is this Wednesday 21/12/16 the first session after Christmas is 4/1/17
  • Thanks Richard, I'm aiming to make the one on the 4th Jan. Will get there early for the safety briefing.
  • @Richard M. I've not done any chain gang but done a few crits and up to level 3 track accreditation at LV. I assume I would need to attend the Saturday sessions first? Would the first one be on 07/01?

Gareth D
  • Road bike session is on tonight, wrap up warm.

Gareth, yes, come down and join in, no problem.
  • Hi, no road bike training tonight at Welwyn, it's far too cold and icy, hoping for some slightly warmer weather next week!
    Richard M
  • I'm going to try and join these if I can get back in time and can get help with kids taxiing.
  • Guys,

If you were planning to go to these sessions I'd stay at home tonight, whilst the forecast is for 2 degrees it's always colder down at the velodrome and it is going to freeze.

I wasn't going to be able to make it but my guess is that they'll be cancelling the session or, at best, running a shortened one.

Richard
  • Hi Richard, just wondering if the session is likely to be on this week? Weather at the moment is looking above freezing and dry, so I'm planning to come along if it's going ahead.