Welcome to the forum

CCA 3-Cafes Classic, Fri 17 March 2017. All welcome.

Comments

• Martin what's the ETA on return? Got a theatre thing in Stevenage at 7pm so would need to be in letch for 6 ideally. Think RSVP'ing to that is do-able? Sorry I have no idea how long this ride lasts! Ty
  • Hi Nat. From recollection, with this and that, we'll be back at the Tuns way before 7pm. If you need to get back earlier - a good shout is to peel off after West Wickham, for that beautifully straight, slightly descending long road to Fulbourn that goes all the way to Cambridge Station.

Or, peel of a bit later for Royston if you want to stick with us and we are doing all right.

Timing depends on us being organised, having no/few punctures - winter tyres please all, and how well Maglia Rosa can feed us quickly. I'll put together something for us all easily list menu choice and give them advance warning later this week.

Any more for the 3-Cafes ride? It's next Friday 17th. 8.30am. Three Tuns, Ashwell. All welcome.
  • Martin L
    Chris P
    Stef
    Jon S
    MC
    Jess
    Keith VCC
    Martin H
    Andy R
    Neil R
    Simon R
    Taff
    Stiggers
    Stiggers' guest[s]
    Dave W
    Martin W
    Bert B
    Toma
    Nat
    Daniel Maybe
  • edited March 2017
    LUNCH!

To help make lunch as expedient and painless as possible, let's give 'Cafe 2', Maglia Rosso, advance warning of any lunch needs. Deadline is Monday 13th.

Review the menu below and then simply click on the link to an online list to add your name and choices.

LINK TO SUBMIT YOUR LUNCH CHOICE. REMEMBER TO ADD YOUR NAME:
    https://tinyurl.com/3cafes2017

Apparently, they need to know what we want by Monday 13th March.
  • Please add me to the list for this ride, thanks Martin.
  • Martin L
    Chris P
    Stef
    Jon S
    MC
    Jess
    Keith VCC
    Martin H
    Andy R
    Neil R
    Simon R
    Taff
    Stiggers
    Stiggers' guest[s]
    Dave W
    Martin W
    Bert B
    Toma
    Nat
    Daniel Maybe
    JMac

• I was nearly persuaded to join this ride at the club night last night, but I can't do it in the end. Have a good one. JohnM I have pm'd you.
  • Thanks John, That's disappointing news, I have replied to your PM.....may be next year then hey...?
  • edited March 2017
    A shame the Johns can't make it. John M was looking to do just the 2 cafes very steadily and then get the train from Bury St Edmunds. Maybe there are others out there who fancy that? Maybe John: you'll be just fine drafting in the group?

In the meantime: a reminder to give me your Maglia Rosso lunch choice by MONDAY. Scroll up this thread for the menu and the link to put your choice.

The long range weather forecast is very good. Let's hope it stays that way.
  • The forecast continues to improve. And more good news...

The Three Tuns are happy to open for early morning coffee. And it's a good place to stay out of the cold too. So, bring a bit of change for a brew. Open at 8am.

We set off 8.30am.
  • Thanks Martin, Yep, confirm I'm still up for a just over15 ish pace if anyone else is interested. I could meet at say the Tally Ho PH in Barkway at 9.00am.
  • See you all Friday.
  • Count me in too please.

Tim A.
  • edited March 2017
    Weather forecast now a bit more typical. But fine if it stays that way.

A reminder - today, Monday 13th - is the final day to put your lunch choice down on this list to give to Maglia Rosso. Scroll up this thread to see the menu. Thereafter, you'll just need to order when you get there;

https://tinyurl.com/3cafes2017

Martin L
    Chris P
    Stef
    Jon S
    MC
    Jess
    Keith VCC
    Martin H
    Andy R
    Neil R
    Simon R
    Taff
    Stiggers
    Stiggers' guest[s]
    Dave W
    Martin W
    Bert B
    Toma
    Nat
    JMac
    David N
    Tim A
  • Afraid I cant make it anymore Martin, work things have come up. Hopefully see you at the hardriders on Sunday!
  • edited March 2017
    Martin is it too late to join? Trip to the US cancelled due to severe weather advisory so all on for Friday
  • Hi, My friend Richard and I would like to join on Friday. Hope that's still possible. Thanks, Mike
  • edited March 2017
    Chris.. nooo! We'll find a use for the birthday candles elsewhere, I'm sure. If I can fit in the Hardriders - I'll see you there.

Dom... Let's hope the severe weather advisory stops around Haverhill way.

Looks like we'll do as before to not be a road nuisance: Split into two even numbered groups to each cafe and keep about 5 mins apart.

Reminder: bring decent lights: just in case.

I HAVE SENT THE FOOD ORDER TO MAGLIA ROSSO. DO NOT ADD TO THE ONLINE LIST FOR FOOD.

Martin L
    Stef
    Jon S
    MC
    Jess
    Keith VCC
    Martin H
    Andy R
    Neil R
    Simon R
    Taff
    Stiggers
    Stiggers' guest[s]
    Dave W
    Martin W
    Bert B
    Toma
    Nat
    JMac
    David N
    Tim A
    Dom B
    Mike
    Richard
  • Martin would love to join you if I am not too late! Simon Morris
  • edited March 2017
    Hi Simon - welcome on board. If you want to pre-order lunch from Maglia Rosso - maybe email them and let them know you're part of the big order that's already been placed now. Write to Jo here; info@magliarosso.co.uk
    Or just order when you're there. Or pack a butty and a pie.

In the meantime, forecast... is OK. We'll fly to Maglia Rosso, and then let's look to be well disciplined for the stiff headwind on the return. Confident riders to the front and back please. If you're suffering a bit: let us know and stick inside the group. Stay off the back.

Start having a think about the next CCA 'monument'... the G-Ride Spring Classic, Sunday 30th April. See forum for details.

Looking forward to a Guinness in the Tuns to celebrate St. Pat's day.

See you for coffee at the Tuns from 8am.

We ride at 8.30am. 2 x even-numbered groups, a few minutes apart. I need someone who knows the way/got GPS for one of these groups. C'mon Suffolk!

Martin L
    Stef
    Jon S
    MC
    Jess
    Keith VCC
    Martin H
    Andy R
    Neil R
    Simon R
    Taff
    Stiggers
    Stiggers' guest[s]
    Dave W
    Martin W
    Bert B
    Toma
    Nat
    JMac
    David N
    Tim A
    Dom B
    Mike
    Richard
    Simon M
  • Sorry, to be flaky, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to duck out this year - road race on Sunday, and last weekend's results show that 117+ miles two days before aren't going to help me keep with the bunch...
  • Rides like this aren't the best for race prep! I might pop along for a few early miles in the morning.

Just a note to say that I heard back through the cycling (however, from a non-cyclist) grapevine that there was a large group of CCA out on Saturday morning not looking so tidy... If there are over 20 riders in a bunch it's a really good idea to split up. Ideally (and I have a horrid feeling legally too) no more than 12 in a group...
  • We had this discussion many times Will.........it's always a problem. It's not illegal to have over 12 in a ride. We found that it's a matter of club insurance. when we started we insured the club and every rider third party with CTC. A condition was a limit on group ride sizes of 12. If I am wrong and situation has changed I stand corrected.
    Since everyone gets their own insurance I don't think that is an issue.
    However, riding tidily is a must in a club our size. It is simply sensible and safer to ride tight .
  • Sorry, can't do the ride on Friday - hurt my back a few weekends ago and it's still in spasm. Really gutted and hope that you have a tailwind all the way round - enjoy the day
  • edited March 2017
    Have a good one everyone. According to the windsock Martin is right about the ride home.

https://mywindsock.com/uploads/11467036/

Go to the calendar symbol top left to change the date.
  • Having not been able to swing a leg over a bike since the 'Ring' ride I can only assume the rain & mud has done for the vertebrae equivalent of a bottom bracket as I'm very creaky & crunchy. Hope all goes well, cheers, Simon
  • Hi folks

Hopefully you're all prepped for tomorrow?

The forecast points to a fresh morning, so think layers and winter gloves. It will rain overnight - so some kind of mudguard action no bad thing. And please no summer tyres. Strong headwind on the return leg. Let's keep it tight and tidy. Don't ping off the front if you can help the groups, and equally shout out if you need your group to tap it back in speed. Looking forward to it all; the tailwind to lunch, and the spirit of a Spring Classic on the return. There's bound to be a few tales to tell.

A reminder of the route;
    http://www.plotaroute.com/route/24003

Coffee from 8am. We ride at 8.30am. Two even groups, a few minutes apart.

Not coming on the ride? Maybe see you for a Guinness at the Tuns in the early evening. I'll post up an ETA from Bicicletta cafe in Saffron on this forum.

• Hi Martin,

I have to drop out of tomorrow. I have been ill this week hence no show at the roller disco. I will transfer some money to cover my lunch order.

• have a good ride all........I was expecting to be down today and was hoping to ride with you............sorry to miss this one...enjoy.