Welcome to the forum

CCA 3-Cafes Classic, Fri 17 March 2017. All welcome.

13»

Comments

• i have a first class degree, I am responsible for 3000 staff and 35,000 patients at any one time.. however I cannot transfer a route in any format onto a Garmin!!! Why am i so crap at this??

In Bicicletta ETA Three Tuns about 6.30pm.
  • Dear Sirlez - try the following..
    Open an account with plotaroute...with the first link to plotaroute it takes you to an overview of the ride. Top righthand corner of the map you will see a menu button, click and a drop down menu appears with 'Download' towards the bottom. You can save the .gpx file from there in the normal way.
    Regards, John - Retired (some say 'retarded'!)
  • I did that with the plotaroute file and it made my Garmin 520 keep freezing on the loading maps page. Deleted it and all ok now.

Hope you all had a good ride? I tried to ride out and meet you on the way to the blue Egg but realise now I missed a turn at Clavering which is where we would have met. I left it too long before I turned and was about 30 mins behind you when you arrived at the 1st Café.
    Never one to give up I thought I would drive to cheer you on as you passed Withersfield but you travelled faster into the wind than I calculated and I missed you again. James Mac sent a text to me to say that you had arrived at Bicicletta.

I did get a 70 miler in for my efforts but it was tough into the wind by myself.
  • Jeepers, certainly windy today. I did a cx ride with Daniel and it was tough out there. Im thinking of you all out there still probably battling the wind back. Hope it all went well.
  • Thanks thanks!
    "Epic"
  • Yes epic, great ride. Thanks Martin.
    Also thanks to those that voluntarily dropped back off the main group to help riders who were finding it tough, Andy R and Dave N, and others too probably.
    Hope everyone got back safely.
    Sorry I couldnt make the pub after...
  • Fantastic day out on a bike, thanks Martin for organising and everyone for great company and the 3 cafes for their excellent service ☺
  • Great ride today, totally knackered
  • edited March 2017
    Epic day out for everyone today. Most importantly, everyone got back safe and 'enjoyed' it.

Around 25 set out in the sunshine. We split into two groups. The forward group marching to the Blue Egg at quite a pace. The strong tailwind helped us there. And let everyone chat. These Classics are good to let other members who don't usually ride together get to swap notes.

There was light traffic. And what few vehicles were around seemed to have that Friday feeling.

At the Blue Egg, the service was as excellent as ever. The sun trap at the back was lovely and we all had our refreshments in the morning warmth. The forward group suffered a couple of punctures, but the second group was incident free. The overnight rain never showed up - so the roads were good.

New rider Mike and his friend Richard bailed out at this point, Richard not quite able to take the pace. In the end, they'd make their own way to Bury St Edmunds and train it back.

Soon enough, we were on our way to Cafe 2, Maglia Rosso. Again in two groups, this time the wind was slightly cross. As we leave the relative flatness of rural Essex, Suffolk begins to roll. It is a scenic place to cycle, though many lanes are narrow I find.

It was on this leg that we noticed Robert was suffering on the hills. Turns out, this was Bob's training prep for Sunday's Hardrider TT, having not ridden a bike since the Wells Classic in September. Hardcore!

This leg is quite short and we arrived at Maglia Rosso in good time. To their credit: the cafe was on it. We all were served in good time and error free. Something good has changed there. Perhaps knowing what we faced on the return, us second groupers barely had time to demolish our lunches before we were on our way again. This time, into the headwind as one group to help each other.

The group assistance did help take the edge off the strong wind. And riding discipline improved a lot. Robert was done in though, despite Nat's brave attempts to push him on the hills. All credit to Andy R who rode with Robert all the way to Bicicletta in Saffron as the rest of us forged on. Robert was blown off his bike twice in the crosswind moments on his TT bike with super deep rims!

I see Bicicletta has [wisely] moved more towards being a cafe more than shop. We were all served well and their cakes were great.

The way from Saffron to Ashwell was understandably tough. And we earned our true Classic stripes as the gales were added to with rain for the last 10 miles or so. It was also getting pretty dark. Even though we did well timewise with cafe service and just a pause for impact punctures near Haddock, it was thick cloud and gloomy. MC and VCC Keith were noted for their turns on the front. Mike P had a great, strong ride. And is looking to race this summer. Nat and Dom B were very strong too: both suffering cramp nearer the end. Jess had a stand-out ride. Two years ago, he rode this Classic and did a Devon Lock somewhere around Hawkedon - where there's the Barn of Truth - the last chance turning point to bail out to Bury. On this ride: he stormed it. Strong on the flat and the hills, he stormed it. He led the big burn up on Slip End and we were all holding on through gritted teeth. His winter training has paid massive dividends. Hw was first back the Tuns.

There, we saw Robert. Miraculously, whilst at Bicicletta and going a bit delirious - a mirage of a mate with a pick-up truck walks into the cafe who's going Ashwell way. Turns out it wasn't a mirage but reality and beat us all back.

Into the Tuns and it's crisps-o-clock and Guinness. Everyone is properly zapped. The 60 miles of headwind had done us in. Two drinks and we all go our separate ways to weep, or to shower and go back out to pretend to be fine at dinner parties.

Our average speed is around the 15mph mark. This ride, at this time of year, way longer than the Marmotte, and nearly one-third the climbing, is a big deal. So well done all who took it on.

A reminder: the G-Ride CCA Classic is 30th April. The Wells one in September. In between, the 5-Peaks and maybe the Geoff Denny may appear.

• Robert's rescue was only a minor miracle - I run my bike fitting business out of Newdales Cycles next door to Bicicletta so I'm in and out of the cafe all the time. I wasn't going anywhere remotely near Ashwell but how many CCA riders has Robert pushed off during Wednesday evening club 10s over the last few years? It must be more than 500 by now, so if anyone deserved a lift from a fellow club member it was him!

Mark F

P.S. No offence to pick-up owners, but I'll have you know it was a VW Transporter Kombi... :)
  • Thanks for lovely day and all the help I received. Good to be rescued on the last leg, glad for a lift home! More training needed for next year.........those hills! Hope didn't impact on anyone's day out. Robert
  • edited March 2017
    @Martin L well organised and written up day! I have never felt so ready at this point in the year- must have been all the roller disco action! VCC Keith sends his thanks for the CCA welcome ... also big thanks to Gary who worked with me to get across to the front group from HMP which would have been impossible with that headwind solo!!!
  • Thanks Mark for your rescue, very kind of you and i can report that Robert was going really well today, over a minute quicker than last years hardriders!

Jess, sounds like you should have been riding today, plenty of headwind action for you.
  • Thanks Martin L for organising a great day out. Special thanks to Nathaniel, Andy R and Dom B for their assistance dragging me from Saffron Walden up to Reed where I was essentially done in...but happy to trundle down to the Tuns. Great job guys!