Welcome to the forum

CCA G-Ride Spring Classic , Sunday 30th April

The G-Ride returns with a new later date but the same challenges.

The 80 ish mile route is a mixture of lanes, byways and gravel tracks. All can be ridden on a road bike with sturdy training tyres but it's best to leave the carbon bits at home. Cyclo-Cross tyres are banned in the spirit of the ride.

Expect the ride to take most of the day to allow for a leisurely lunch, chatting, enjoying the view and puncture fixing (only 1 last year). We tend to cruise the road and push it on the G sections. If we have enough riders we will have two groups so that some can press on a bit quicker.

9 am start from the Tuns.

A lunch stop will be provided by the Fields as part of their fundraising campaign for the hour record.

Comments

• The route is taking shape and will be about 80 miles, maybe 85. It will be Anti-clockwise this year taking in at least the following sections.

1. * Cat Ditch
    2. * Willian Way
    3. * Greenway
    4. *** Tranchee de Ardeley
    5. * Beggarmans Lane
    6. *** Whitehill
    7. * Latchford
    8. *** Dassels Berg
    9. * The Causeway
    10. ** Coopers End
    11. ** Clodmore Hill
    12. ** Chrishall Common
    13. * Cokenach
    14. *** Notley Lane
    15. ** Park Lane
    16. * Ashwell Street

Please sign up below so I know how many are coming for catering.
  • Count me IN. Always a great day out, thanks for organising this again Mark.
  • Mark,

I'm hoping to make it but may have to leave at the Trenchee D'Ardeley as I'm coaching at track School at 2pm!!

Cheers
    Scott.
  • I'll be there with a guest too if that's ok?
  • I'll be there.
  • The route is finished with 3 new sections for this year. I think this may be the final classic version. I don't think there are many more sections to be found near the route.

130km in total.

'The Druce' heading into Clavering is a beauty with a fast gravelly descent. The Clavering Berg is a beast and tends to have a stream running down it.

G-Ride Sections 2017
    1. * Cat Ditch 2.5 km
    2. * Willian Way 2 km
    3. * Greenway 1.2 km
    4. *** Tranchee de Ardeley 2 km
    5. * Beggarmans Lane 1 km
    6. *** Whitehill 1.1 km
    7. * Latchford 0.8 km
    8. *** Dassells Berg 1.1 km
    9. * The Causeway 1.8 km
    10. ** The Druce 2 km
    11. *** Clavering Berg 0.9 km
    12. ** Clodmore Hill 1 km
    13. ** Coopers End 1 km
    14. * Park Wood 1.1 km
    15. ** Chrishall Common 1.6 km
    16. ** Cokenach 2 km
    17. * Nuthampstead 1.2 km
    18. ** Bucklandberg 1.2 km
    19. *** Notley Lane 2 km
    20. ** Park Lane 0.7 km
    21. ** Ashwell Street 0.4 km
  • So far:

Mark W
    Stevie
    Daniel D
    Storts
    Dave H + guest
    Richard L
  • If anyone else is intending or considering coming can they let me know. At the moment it's not worth having catering done. We can just do a cafe stop.

Thanks.
  • Sorry Mark, can't make it this year.
  • Mark - I'm hoping to join for the first few sections but not lunch.
  • Mark - I'll certainly try to make it again this year, and happy to work around whatever works for everyone else re food etc

cheers

Simon
  • Ok, change of plan. With a cafe stop included our best bet is to change direction to clockwise and have the cafe stop at Ardeley. Otherwise we will have to stop at the March Hare tea rooms which are more tortoise than hare. No other cafe options near the route.

I will post a link to the route soon but it's the same sections just in the reverse order.
  • Hi Mark,

Sorry but I will have to drop out as I have to be at Welwyn for track School by 1pm. Coaching starts at 2pm so with the reverse route I think I will struggle to make it back in time.

Cheers
    Scott.
  • edited May 2017
    10 out today for an excellent edition of the G-ride. Guests from Harpenden and that there London. We were also joined by Simon the notorious Frenchman from Saint Neots.

Progress was interrupted in the morning by several punctures - those sensitive London tyres can’t seem to cope with the terrain of the Essex and Hertfordshire. Happily my TT bike handled the roads and lanes well as we wended our way through the woods and bluebells.

We lunched at a fine cafe in Puckeridge with an affable proprietor who made delicious paninis with avocado, brie and bacon - yum. However the dish of choice was beans on toast; as eaten by Mark Wyer. He was like a demon for the second leg.

I am now happily shattered and on the sofa...

Thanks Mark - an excellent day out.
  • Thanks all for a great hard ride. Ride home with Simon took in a section of the Hell of St Neots which was good apart from my puncture :(. Feet up now watching Tour de Yorkshire highlights, so great end to the day...
  • Yeah, great ride and some lovely secteurs. Enjoyed that cafe in Puckeridge must go there again sometime. Sorry to have to leave you after that but had a lovely and puncture free ride home with the London lads.
  • Thanks Mark, some great new sectors there. Great company and some hard riding.

Final analysis - 80 miles (20 off road) at 14mph with 5000 feet of climbing.
  • Great fun, thanks Mark. Some fantastic off road sections that I have cycled past on road often and never knew they were there. As the only non-cx'er in the group I was feeling pretty cocky after holding my own on the first two G-sections. Then we hit that gravelly climb up to Buckland and you all bought me swiftly down to earth (not literally thankfully).
    I had to get back so left before lunch but next time will make sure I can do the full day.
    51 miles for me but a really tough workout. Feeling it now.
  • Thanks all for joining in and making it such a fun day out.

10 starters and 5 finishers. Much respect to Simon and Richard for riding there and back - you must have had close to 100 miles for the day.

Already considering some tweaks for next year. Firstly I will try and avoid a Bank Holiday or Easter weekend, too many people away. I'll try and come up with a Mini-G version for those not allowed out for the whole day.

I will try and avoid the Odsey/A505 bit on the way out. It's probably better to head over to Slip End. I'll see if I can avoid the new gate at The Causeway/Furneaux Pelham. We could do with a new sector to slot in between Willian Way/Lannock Hill and Cat Ditch. Maybe we should continue into Willian rather than up Lannock Hill. Using the cafe at Puckeridge could mean reversing the route but which is the best/most classic direction?

Any thoughts?

My legs are in bits now, it will be a struggle to make grass track tomorrow!
  • edited May 2017
    I think some of Tim’s off road route from Baldock to Ashwell could be adapted to be ‘G-Ride compliant’. The Icknield Way leaves Baldock on the east side of the town and heads south-east. Tim’s route goes south-west at Welbury Farm and the track soon turns to grass. Instead if you continue south-east (** opps this might not be a bridleway **) at the farm I think the track might be firmer. This takes you to Clothall.
  • edited May 2017
    thanks to Mark for a great route, everyone for their company and Vittoria for a puncture-free ride (for me).

Both Richard & I made it over 100 miles and we marked the moment by changing the last tube of the day with home almost in site and just enough strength between us to lift the bike up and use the pump

cheers

Simon (pas de San-Nee-Yo)
  • Well done all. A proper CCA Classic!

G-Ride badges for all riders/winners will be available later this week. Apologies for the delay.