Welcome to the forum

CC Ashwell, Spring Grass Track Racing, Sat 13th May 2017, 2pm

edited May 2017 in Grass Track
Hi all
A reminder... on our very doorstep next Saturday 13th May, starting 2pm (register in good time before on the day, if you don't choose to register online) is the first of the Club's two grass track racing events.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/155158/Ashwell-at-Home,-Spring-Grass-Track-Meeting

Fun for Seniors, Juniors and kids freewheelin' in the Go-Race stuff. Come on down, park up in front of the track and watch - but better still - enter and have a laugh!

I don't know Max's programme for this year, but last year the seniors got 5 races for your money; 2-lap sprint, Devil, 6-lap race, 15 lap race and a Slow Race. The forecast is good. Bring a picnic and some foldaway chairs.

The club have grass track ready fixed wheel bikes available. I have a spare too.

Last year's vibe;

Comments

• More details about the kids racing here that's on in between the Fixed stuff...

• All donations of cake will be gratefully received. We will be at the track from around 12.30 if you wish to drop baked goods off - Thank you
  • Nathan can lend a hand - just the one - officiating if needed.
  • Good luck everyone. Hope the day goes well for you all.
  • image post grass track race treat. Thanks to all the organisers. I really enjoyed the racing apart from the 5k race which was possibly the most unpleasant event I have ever taken part in.
  • edited May 2017
    I'm going to forget someone here - but here goes. Massive thanks to...
    Max and Sandra, Mark and Stevie for all-round everything.
    Alison as Commissaire. I was only told off once. Pretty good.
    Richard for the shouting, Devil eliminating etc.
    Tim as MC. Lyndsey on catering logistics and the cake makers.
    Sal, Scott and the Go-Race organising.
    Shelton for the top quality greenkeeping.
    All the pusher-offers.

The day? Superb. The weather held up and we had some great racing across Seniors, Youth and Go-Race events. Some of the usual suspects travelling from far and wide in the Seniors - and some people diving in for the first time too. Everyone doing really well.

Seniors.... It's not every day you get to race against a National Champ: so it's thrilling to draft behind Andrew Leveton's thighs for a few laps. Nice to watch Mitchy winning and scoop up a bag of points. I thought Foulkesy had a great day and was uncatchable. Clearly doing some secret training somewhere. And our first racer to have a football terrace-like chant, 'Go banana'. Wellsy staying off the front to sprint for the finish nicely to suckerpunch muggins here. Cheers to Vincenzo for giving me some cover on the Handicap. The endurance race is always painful. The average speed was 21.5mph for the 5km. All the CCA shouts from the sides were brilliant motivation for us all.

In the Youth racing it's hard not to be flabbergasted by the speed and tactical nous. The club doing well across all age groups. The Go-Races are a highlight. There are tears... mostly from falls and disappointment, but of joy here and there too! It's brilliant watching the little legs go around.

Biggleswade is the next, nearest grass track event. But plenty others popping up in between. Have a go! Grass track Monday evening sessions a great way to dip yer toes.

• I'd like to echo the thanks to all for an amazing day. Such a lot of work by all but truly brilliant. It began with hearing Mitchy saying what a strong elite field had turned out...then the penny dropped that there was only one senior race, so than meant I was in the bunch too! Thanks to the sideline support team, who realised my poor little legs couldn't spin any faster so sorted me out with a decent sprocket. Apologies to Dan and Vincent for the shameless wheel sucking on the 5km race.

Brilliant to see so many of all ages getting stuck in. Hoping to make the Biggleswade event!
  • "go banana"...the kids are scouring e-bay for a banana man suit for next time. I might just respray the bike.
    Great day out and a fantastic turnout - really good to see some new faces in the seniors and so many of the kids - CCA in great shape for the future.
    Some great racing across the age groups and the Ashwellians showing off some canny tactical nous thanks to the Thursday night coaching sessions (I might go to some of them in future!).
    Thanks to all the helpers and the organisers.
  • And the results are on British Cycling now - good to see Mitchy and 2 CCA riders in the points (but gutted to have missed out myself by one place!) :

Position Name Club name Rider status Category Points
    1. David Mitchinson Contour Cycles Racing Team Finished 2nd 10
    2. Laurence Lisher Green Arrow CRT Finished 2nd 8
    3. Martin Smith Chesterfield Coureurs Finished 1st 7
    4. Gavin Mitchell Twickenham CC Finished 2nd 6
    5. Iain Foulkes Cycle Club Ashwell (CCA) Finished 3rd 5
    6. Martin Lawless Cycle Club Ashwell (CCA) Finished 3rd 4
    7. David Wells Cycle Club Ashwell (CCA) Finished 4th 0
    8. Steven Smith Medway Velo Finished 3rd 0
    9. Mitchell Powell Team Terminator Finished 2nd 0
    10. Andrew Leveton Ses Racing Finished 3rd 0
    11. Timothy Duckett Cycle Club Ashwell (CCA) Finished 4th 0
    12. Bradley Nelson Bloodwise QSW Finished 3rd 0
    13. Jennifer Andrews Cycle Club Ashwell (CCA) Finished 3rd 0
    14. David Hadsley Cycle Club Ashwell (CCA) Finished N/A 0
    15. Vincent Friedlander Cycle Club Ashwell (CCA) Finished N/A 0
    16. David George Bikmo Cycle Insurance Finished 4th 0
    17. Daniel Hall Cycle Club Ashwell (CCA) Finished N/A 0
    18. Richard Lawrence Cycle Club Ashwell (CCA) Finished N/A 0

Also the National Short Distance League:

Position Name Club name Rider status Category Points
    1. Andrew Leveton Ses Racing Finished 3rd 0
    2. Mitchell Powell Team Terminator Finished 2nd 0
    3. Martin Smith Chesterfield Coureurs Finished 1st 0
    4. Laurence Lisher Green Arrow CRT Finished 2nd 0
    5. David Mitchinson Contour Cycles Racing Team Finished 2nd 0
    6. Iain Foulkes Cycle Club Ashwell (CCA) Finished 3rd 0
    7. Bradley Nelson Bloodwise QSW Finished 3rd 0
    8. David Wells Cycle Club Ashwell (CCA) Finished 4th 0
  • Jenny should get points for being the first placed woman in the field surely?
  • I think the rule is that you don't get points unless a minimum number of female riders are competing - not sure if it's 3 or 5 riders. It's something like that.

Lindsey
  • Had a quick look at the regulations and cannot see any rules about minimum numbers of riders: "6.4.10 Where there are fewer than 10 entrants for an open meeting track race of 3km or over and not restricted to youth riders, the licence points awarded shall be limited to 3 points for the winner, 2 points for 2nd place and 1 Point for 3rd. This shall be multiplied by 3 for National Championships."

Sophie has been awarded points in the past when there have been only 2 female riders. I think Jenny should have her 3 points!
  • Thanks for the support...clearly points are always welcome!