Welcome to the forum

Saturday 17th June 9.30am club ride

edited June 2017 in Club runs
Weather forecast looks cracking for tomorrow. East last week, so north(ish) this week, to do the reverse of the Cambridge route.

Probably something a bit like this:

Ashwell-Gamlingay-Longstowe-Toft-Barton-Barrington-Shepreth-Ashwell

http://www.mapmyride.com/gb/baldock-eng/ashwell-gamlingay-longstowe-toft-barton-route-244636269

or happy to do something else if anybody has an alternative route they would like to do.

See you tomorrow, don't forget your sunnies :)

Comments

• Thanks
    Hoping to make it
  • Hi all

I have just spoken with Gary's daughter. He has just got home from hospital and he is battered and bruised but ok. He has had scans and xrays and everything is fine.
    Sure he will be back out with us soon.

Thanks for the ride today Dave and you did a great job with the weather!!!!!
    DaveN.
  • Thanks Dave. I've just spoken to Gary's daughter too, so good news that Gary is ok. It's been a worrying few hours. She said that he was already talking about a new bike so I'm sure he will be back out soon.
  • edited June 2017
    So just to fill in the blanks about today's club ride, we all set off to do the reverse Cambridge route above. Great weather & some nice tidy riding and all was going nicely until...

We were just coming in to Bassingborn from Shrepreth, when for reasons that we are still not sure about Gary came off his bike, went pretty high into the air and came down hard onto his head/shoulder on the side of the road. He then lost consciousness for about 5 mins, so we called an ambulance, stopped the traffic & a few of us raced off to see if the doctors in Bassinbourn was open. Unfortunately the docs was closed, but the paramedic/ambulance service got there really quickly and even scrambled the air ambulance (which wasn't needed). Gary was by now conscious & pretty dazed so the ambulance service checked him over at the roadside before they took him to Addenbrookes. Most of the group cycled back slowly to the Tuns and myself and Dave firstly went to the Hoops to find Gary's daughters and the went back to the Tuns

I just want to clarify that this was a random accident and had absolutely nothing to do with the size of the group, poor riding or cars. The fact that we were all alert and no one else was taken down is testament to how well we were riding as a group.

Finally, just wanted to say a big thanks to everybody today for the fantastic way you all dealt with the situation. Everybody was really calm and rational even though it was a pretty scary situation, with people stopping traffic, getting Gary into the recovery position, going to the roundabout to hail the ambulance and sorting out Gary's bike etc. You really are a great bunch of people :)

• Sorry to hear about what happened, wishing Gary a speedy recovery.
  • Wishing you a speedy recovery Gary
  • Glad to hear Gary is well and ok. Get well soon mate.
  • All the best Gary. Take it easy and get well soon.
  • Hi Gary archer here thanks a a to all who helped me out yesterday I'm ok up and adout although rather sour but ok hope to see you next Saturday all the best Gary
  • That's great to hear Gary, hope you heal quickly.
  • Glad that you're home safe and best wishes for a speedy recovery.
  • Very sorry to hear about this, get well soon Gary.
  • Glad to hear you're ok Gary. Hope you're back on ur bike soon.
  • Very sorry to hear about your accident Gary - Hope you're back out soon.
  • Glad you are okay Gary.

Well done to Dave and everyone else for dealing with the situation calmly and effectively.
  • Glad to hear you are ok look forward to seeing you on your bike soon