Welcome to the forum

CCA's latest National Champion

Sophie Lewis is currently competing in the National Junior and Youth Track Championships in Newport. On Monday she came 4th in the Sprint event. Tuesday saw her putting in a massive effort in the Points race but the podium eluded her with another 4th place. Today however it all came together, and she sprinted away from a fast field to clinch the national jersey in the scratch race.

Tomorrow is the 500m time trial and the madison. Sophie will be competing in the madison in CCA blue with a friend from Welwyn Wheelers, Josie Griffin. Friday is the 2km individual pursuit. I'm not sure how she will do in these last events but she is certainly on form at the moment so fingers crossed.

Comments

• Wonderful result and congratulations to Sophie. I presume that her official grouping is last year under14 so she is competing against u 16 and winning. If that is right then this is truly outstanding. Fingers crossed for 500tt and high hopes for the pursuit...an event I always saw Sophie excelling in.
  • You are right Geoff. Sophie has just moved up to the under 16 age category this year. She has another 16 months in this age group so has another chance at Nationals next year. She also has the benefit of a second year on the Olympic Development Apprenticeship, and has just been accepted onto the Hertfordshire Talented Athlete Programme. This allows her to access top quality strength & conditioning coaching from Performance Hertfordshire, based in Hatfield.
  • Well done Sophie, great result.
  • Brilliant, well done Sophie, not a suprise at all but still a lot of hard work to get there.
    Can we have a pic?
  • Well done Sophie, thats fantastic and very well deserved.
  • Congratulations Sophie - amazing result!
  • Amazing!!! In awe.
  • Congratulations Sophie, that's amazing! Stripes and CCA logo are a good combo...
  • Outstanding Sophie, really well done.
  • Amazing work Sophie and clearly very well deserved through dedication and hard work.
  • Excellent news, well done Sophie. Did I see a 2nd place in the Madison too?

Proof that hard work is always worth the effort.

Scott.
  • Yep, Sophie finished off with a silver medal in the madison after a furiously fast 80 laps (20km) with her friend Josie Griffin. They clinched their silver with the last sprint to the finish line. Sophie also managed two 4th places in the match sprints and in the points race. She came 8th today in the 2km individual pursuit. She was 5th after the first round but sadly couldn't repeat her fast time when the top 8 went into the finals. It would be fair to say she died on the bike this afternoon. But after 5 days of top quality racing I am not surprised.

She is looking forward to a two week break from the bike now, before training ramps up again for the School Games (inter-regional road championships) and inter-regional track champs. Oh, and not forgetting the Revolution Series in the Hoy Future Stars events.
  • https://www.facebook.com/welshcycling/videos/1356401117791257/
    Sophie's scratch race win was live streamed on Facebook by Welsh Cycling. I have copied the link. The race was 40 laps so it you are interested, watch from 25 mins for the last 4 laps.
  • raced to perfection Sophie. Positionong, knowing the right wheel and waiting to pounce at the right moment with enough power to leave them trailing. Class.
  • Amazing !!
  • Watched the last few laps yesterday on the Facebook link- an amazing ride- that's how you finish a race!!! Well done Sophie and support crew; inspiring stuff!
  • Fantastic news and I am sure there is a lot more to come Sophie!
  • Congratulations Sophie
  • Just bringing this back up .
    Anyone going to watch and cheer on Sophie at the Revolution series?
    I can't make the end of November in London but am going to 2nd December in Glasgow. then it's Manchester in January to finish.
    It's early days, but I believe we are looking at a potential 2020 track star in the making with Sophie. Would be great for the club to get behind Sophie and help her get there. We almost had an international sprint star in Andrew Leverton. He nearly made the Scottish squad. You never know, he might still make it. Let's hope Sophie makes it into the GB olympic squad. Tough competition but I think she has what it takes.
  • That's really sweet Geoff. Sophie is really looking forward to Revs and has been training hard. She certainly seems to be on form at the moment, winning maximum points in the London Youth Track League last night (1st in the scratch plus won the prime, 1st in the dash, elimination and points). She is really excited to be riding for Team Matrix Pro Cycling at the revolution series! The invited youth riders get split amongst the pro teams so they get used to being managed by a pro team manager, and being part of a professional team. So Sophie will be warming up along side Elinor Barker! So if anyone does go to watch the racing, she won't be in her CCA blue. Except possibly in the scratch race. She has CCA on her national champs skinsuit which she will wear for that race. That's if it actually arrives on time.
  • Andrew Leverton is now a foundation coach for British Cycling. He is looking after the Olympic Development riders for the North West and Scotland and is also involved in Sophie's coaching. He has just invited Sophie up to Manchester for some sprint coaching next month, in conjunction with Matt Crampton who coaches the junior academy.
  • Yeah, great to hear how well Sophie is doing and good luck for the upcoming Revs.
    Also great to hear that Andrew is now involved with coaching. All good!
  • Amazing stuff...!! Congratulations!
  • standings see girls future stars...http://www.cyclingrevolution.com/champions-league/standings
    Sophie lying 2nd on points. Looking forward to saturday round 2.
  • snow and ice up here now so fingers crossed I can get to glasgow tomorrow.
  • Well, that was worth the trip to Glasgow. Wonderful racing. Sophie had a nightmare trip arriving with no time for pre-race preparation. Her train was cancelled so she made it 10 mins before her first race. Despite this she raced well and scored points for her selected team matrix fitness.
    The wealth of youth talent and the level of performance bodes well for the next wave of champions. Despite all the hullabaloo over BC and Sky the future looks assured.
    Well worth a trip to Manchester for the last session. I can't make it but some of you might.
  • Despite arriving in Glasgow late and stressed, Sophie is lying second in the overall Revolution 2017 standings competing against 24 of the best young riders in the country. She actually increased the points gap to the girl lying third. All down to consistency and ability across all race disciplines.