Welcome to the forum

Saturday 5th August 9.30am club ride

edited August 2017 in Club runs
I recon that we might have a weather window tomorrow if we are lucky. Showers from the west, so lets head east & do this route

Ashwell, Sandon, Therfield, Barkway, Anstey, Meesden, Clavering, Arkensden, Littlebury Green, Flint Cross, Shepreth, Meldreth, Bassingbourn, Ashwell (48 miles)

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/16004166#.WYRnm-tEpd8.email

See you in the morning

Comments

• Liking Davids optimism on the weather!
    If anyone fancies a slightly shorter route I'm thinking of peeling off round Barkway and then to Flint Cross and back.
  • I'm keen to join the club but this would be my first club run, whats the normal pace ?
  • edited August 2017
    Normal pace at this time of year is about 16-17mph average. Will be back at the Tuns for 12.30-12.45
  • great ride today - hope everyone made it back ok in the torrential downpour
  • edited August 2017
    Ride of two halves today, the nice sunny/dry one and the biblical downpour version !

All started together, and headed off towards Barkway. Bit of pealing off for the shorter rides left us with about 8 to do the full version. Think we were lucky and we had a patch of lovely sunshine all through the Essex bit and even managed to find an amazingly new tarmacked road that ran all the way from Littlebury Green to almost Icleton.

And then our luck run out............not even my lucky talisman mudguard or Simon's green (previously unused) waterproof could save us.......

Not really sure how to sum it up, but it was a bit like cycling through a wall of water !! On the plus side at least it was warm water & after about 2 mins couldn't really get any wetter anyway.

Would describe the reminder of the route, but really couldn't see much of it. Think we probably passed Bassingbourn somewhere on the way back, but could have been anywhere. Suffice to say that only 3 of us made it back to Ashwell & then had the joy of another 4 miles to get home !

So, 45 miles @ 16.5 and a combined total of about a litre of water poured out of my bike frame and shoes :( Thanks all, character building stuff. Surely it has to be drier next week ?????