Welcome to the forum

Racing at Redbridge cycle circuit.

edited October 2010 in Road Racing
Hi guys, quick question...

Has anyone ever been over to Redbridge cycle circuit for the SERRL winter series racing? Or planning to this year?

Have spoken to Phil about going up to hillingdon for the imperial winter series, but quite keen to have a crack at racing a little sooner so was wondering if anyone could shed a little light on what its like up there, and difficulty in getting there etc.

Thanks,

Dave.

Comments

• Hi Dave,

I regularly take my kids to the circuit. The trip there is about an hour or just over and is usually predictable, whereas the trip to Hillingdon is between 1 and 2 hrs depending on traffic.

Previous experience of the SERRL is that they can be difficult to deal with but the organsation is good. I think their winter series alternates between Redbridege and Deal in Kent. I'd recommend goig there at least once as the racing in winter is 'interesting' as the site is close to the sea and exposed being on the top of an old slag heap.

There are video clips on YouTube of Redbridge if you fancy having a remote view of the racing. If you have any questions that you think I can help with please post here or drop me a line at richard@ccashwell.com.

Richard M.
  • Hi Dave,
    I was looking at having a go at both of the SERRL and Imperial series. I dont know anything about it either, but would be up for sharing lifts if your interested?
    Jez
  • Cheers Richard.

Sounds good Jez, need to get my license through, will be applying for it some time within next few weeks (hoepfully doesn't take too long to come through?).

Think the first one at Redbridge is on SUN 31st October, so i'll either see you out on the road before then or organise it through the forum.

Dave.
  • Hi Guys,
    Just so you don't get any shocks. I think SERRL charge for joining their series. So on the first day they'll try to take the entry fee, series fee and a day licence fee if your race licence hasn't come through. This was certainly the case when my eldest son raced during the summer.

I'm not trying to dissuade you! just trying to give you an idea of the costs. From the BC web site £12 series fee, £15 pre-entry or £20 on the line. A day racing licence can be up to £10 depending on your BC membership level.

If I'm teaching you to suck eggs then stop me. If you want to talk through the circuit, what to do on the day, where to pin your numbers on your shirt, what to do with a transducer (if they give you one) etc. Then please e-mail me and I'll send you my contact numbers.

Having said all this, I'm not a racer. All my experience is based on travelling to these circuits with both children and adults, taking them through the process and observing how different clubs run their events. I've been doing this most weekends for about three years!

Richard
  • Jez, hows your knee?

Going to have a go on the 31st OCT down at redbridge, you fancy it?

Dave
  • Hi Dave,
    Knee is getting there, slowly! Definatly still up for racing, was going to try and enter on line tommorow. I was also hoping, times depending to have a go at the hill climb also.
    Jez
  • Jez, all set for tomorrow?

I'm not too sure where we left it about lifts for tomorrow, but i'm seeing family down in london before and after the race so my dads going to give me a lift down there early doors and then back late sunday so will see you on the line at 1PM.

Dave.
  • Guy's, The very best of luck to you both and bring home those points.
  • Bit of a race report..... Dave and I had a first go of racing at a very wet Redbridge cycle circuit today (Dave will have to add his bit!). Not a very big field and it all led off at a sedate sort of pace, I tried attacking as often as I could, didnt really lead to anything, got away a few times but only for half a lap or so. Seemed like no-one was really willing to do any work- unless they were closing me down! and the pace fell to a crawl at times. I gave up doing anything after 50mins or so and fell into the group ready for a sprint finish. The last lap came and the group started the final climb to the finish, I started my sprint first, half way up the hill, Dave and another rider came roaring past me at the crest for Dave to take a very comfortable second and I think (hope) I held on for a close third.
    Thats about it, only downer was that I got a slow puncture during the last few laps and got a bit slippery, but all was very enjoyable, allready looking at doing the next race in the series down in Kent.
    Jez
  • Wow, second and third! Awesome guys.
  • Good stuff Jez,

I'm off to Spain tuesday, but if my legs and Uni work are all up straight when i'm back then wouldn't mind venturing over to Kent to see what that tracks like. 130 miles each way is a bit off putting but if you've got a bike rack (or know one we could borrow) so we could split petrol i'd be up for it.

Wonder if Phil, Chris and some of the lads would fancy it??

Dave.
  • Great result guy's - not at all surprised - well done both.

At this rate you'll both be 3rd cats before the Imperial Winter series commences at Hillingdon in December. It would be fantastic to have a couple more blue shirts giving those Welwyn chaps a bit of a run for their money!
  • Well done lads! Great performances on what would have been tricky conditions.

Keep us posted on how your racing goes on. I think there could be one or two more racers coming through the club in the upcoming months.

Martin
  • Wow great result chaps ...welll done!
  • echo that...well done guys...a great result
  • Shine on you crazy diamonds!

What a way to lose your cherry! Dave, I hope you didnt use your squeaky shorts as weapon! Proud of you son- remember I taught you all you know (cough cough!)
    Great ride on one leg too Jez after your near fatal dog- walking accident!!

Ta for invite Davey Boy- you want me as your domestique!?

Awesome debut boys- an inspiration to the next generation along with Oh my Gosh- its Josh!!, Greg Smith ( no relation!) and heaps of others coming thro the ranks

Thanks to Geoff, Rich M, Duckers and all those who are the invisible backbone of the club- WE SALUTE YOU!
  • Dave, Jez,

Great result! Was the above any use? I'm thinking of doing an 'Introduction to Racing' for the Youth Members and their parents, do you think this would be of any use for the adult members.

I'd like to have a chat about what you thought of the whole experience, I'll grab you on a Sunday morning.

Finally I'm about to start a thread on the Hillingdon (Imperial Racing Team) Winter Series.

Richard M.
  • yes Rich, good idea mate

i am an adult- sometimes!
  • Chaps... Well done! Get to cat 3 quick before they put the points system up!