Welcome to the forum

3 Peaks entries open tomorrow - June 1st

Comments

• What info are are you putting in for "other experience"?
  • Apart from the Eastern/Central league CX I added my MTB & grass track racing. You can mention triathlon & TT. I also added a bit about winter hill walking to show being up on the fells wouldn't be new for me.
  • Cheers Richard. I've just signed up.
  • Good luck both. Tough tough race and even tougher to get in. I Believe Daniel D already has a place for services rendered?
  • good luck everyone taking part in this event. Think Jeremy is riding down to cheer you on as he's not doing Pyrenees. Would have joined him but helping Ann out on her sheep society AGM at our farm.
  • All being well I should be at the Ribblehead Viaduct on Sunday. Weather looks good and hopefully everyone has a great day and stays in one piece.

Dave - had it in my head that you were travelling up to support? Where are you planning to be on the day?
  • Yes, I'm supporting this year. I'm planning to be roaming around on my bike but will definitely be at Ribblehead at some point, probably from about 12-1 based on projected timings. I'll PM you my mobile number.
  • Rode out to the Ribblehead Viaduct today to support our riders. The field had just descended Whernside before heading on the road to the final climb up Pen-y-Ghent. Lots of very frustrated motorists who seemed incapable of waiting whilst marshalls ushered riders through. Some real idiot motorcyclists out too - must keep the local undertakers busy.

I joined Team Lawrence and Dave H as they waited for our riders to come through. TimD was first through and looked to be going well (not sure about the pink bike though). It was a fair while before Daniel D arrived and he took time to take on food and a brief chat. Soon afterwards came DanH and RichardL. Looked hard guys and hope you are enjoying a post-race beer to two.

Look forward to reading about their experiences in due course.

JP
  • great work everyone, but looking at the photos, what is Tim going to do for a race bike when Barbie wants hers back?
  • Simon, based on your comments I conclude the French and Yorkshire sensibilities towards that hue of pink are the same as our mutual friend Tim got similar comments during the race.
  • Some photos from what was an absolutely brilliant weekend. My disappointment at not getting an entry was (almost) forgotten by the great fun and camaraderie. I'll leave it to one of the racers to give an account of the race but I got to spend the day watching them fighting, pushing and doing CCA proud around the toughest cyclocross race in the world.

A packet of jelly babies to anyone who can guess what Daniel was talking about to winner of this years and the last three years races, Paul Oldham, in the last picture.

photo IMG_20170923_114716_zpsvr0af0os.jpg

photo DSCF3128_zpsnvixdl5z.jpg

photo DSCF3136_zpsfuy0lhiw.jpg

photo IMG_20170924_094833_zpsntbxbo22.jpg

photo IMG_20170924_094941_1_zpsoenowvlw.jpg

photo IMG_20170924_095005_zpsqplia1g2.jpg

photo IMG_20170924_150944_zpsffdbskjr.jpg

photo IMG_20170924_154838_zpstwhomuac.jpg
  • Oi! leave my bike alone..Barbie was faultless.

What a great weekend. The cottage Dave had found was superb and such a great bunch of people made it a lot of fun. We were all quite serious about our race but managed some good time in the Wheatsheaf in Ingleton!

My race...i was delighted to finish in 4.34, over 40 minutes quicker than last time. The 4 CCA riders were fairly relaxed at the back of the grid at the start but it did take us a minute or so to get going after the whistle (critical time as it turns out for Daniel!). I decided to press on on the first road section and moved a good bit up the bunch. Once we turned off the road into the fields it was clear that despite it being a pleasant dry day it was all very boggy on the ground.
    After slogging through the field we hit the legendary Simon fell which is a sort of grassy scramble. I decided to avoid the line of riders up the wall on the left and freestyled in the field to the right. Good job, as someone in the line of riders just ahead managed to dislocate his shoulder and caused a bit of a jam. Over the top and then contantly on and off the bike before the last stepped climb to the summit of Ingleborough. The descent was ok but with all the bog i was getting off and running if in doubt, a bit slower but no "come on Ian moment" (will try and find some photos).
    Then had a good road section before the slog up the steps to Whernside, its a long way but i manage to tuck into my Booths pasty on the way up, yum. The top of Whernside is a sort of long ridge and was quite enjoyable, the descent was tricky. Usually if you dont fancy riding down steep stone steps which only the best can do safely you can take to the grass off the side but this was near impossible as it was so boggy. Again i was sensible (and a bit slow) and ran down bits i didnt like the look of. The lower bit near Ribble head is great with some river crossings and lots of spectators and our excellent pit crew who gave me a bottle. I had a bit of cramp here but limped onto the road where i got stuck in with a great group of working riders.
    Just Pen y Gent left, managed to ride up the rideable part of the lane and got on with the slog to the top, struggling with cramp now. From the top its just one more descent but its utterly terrifying, a boggy start but then fast, rocks and drainage channels and 2 way traffic. The boulders in the lane were throwing me all over the place and i was trying my hardest not to use the brakes but was probably still too cautious. Ive never sworn so much at a bridleway before and will be having nightmares about this lane. Once down just a 2k thrash to the finish and all over. Absolutely loved it (apart from the lane obvs), got my breath back and headed to the splendid pub with 7 ales on!

Im sure we will be doing it all again next year and i can think of a couple of riders who would be great on that lane.

Ill try and find some pics to post later.
  • Nice write up Tim and congrats on that time. Reading that brought back many memories of my attempt a couple of years back. The first bit was like ride London and then that slog up the grass. I would also go right away from the wall next time but as I promised myself on crossing the line there won't be a next time. Very tough. Well done to all.

Stuart
  • Good write ups, great beards.
  • Well spotted Will. Another reason I cannot do it again - sub standard beard.
  • edited September 2017
    I was told I would love it or hate it and to be honest I didn't really know what I was letting myself in for when entering the 3 peaks. I think Dave booked the best accommodation in the region and after sampling the finest fish and chips in Ottley we finally arrived at our destination. (Only a few hours later than planned). A quick bag drop and recce of the rooms and we were off to the pub to talk tactics. Despite the heavy rain we rolled down to Ingleton and sampled nearly all the beers on offer.

A sore head was soon forgotten about as we headed over to Whernside on the Saturday morning and I took in the beautiful surroundings. The terrain was tricky but manageable, I was then told this was the easiest part of the course and the only section where a cross bike would be useful. I think my team mates we trying to worry me and this was later confirmed when my friends and Dave disappeared into the distance. Managing to retrace my tracks and with the help of some walkers I return back to base to find the guys enjoying a cup of tea and cake.

Another trip to Ingelton for supplies (beers from co-op) ended with us back in the pub sampling all the beers, again. Tim and Dave were very convincing that this was the best prep for what is billed as the toughest CX race in the UK. A quick ride back up the hill in time for a home cooked chilli (thanks Sue).

It was an early start on the Sunday morning and I was struggling to get any breakfast down me, we drive over to the start and I begin to really worry. Registration was smooth and simple and after a short warm up we head to the start ready to race. The start line was very different to a normal CX race and despite there being nearly 600 people it was eerily quiet. The whistle finally goes and my original plan of sticking with Tim on the road section now seems like a bad idea I decide to take it steady. A few miles later and we are on the first climb, the bike is up and down more times than a yo-yo as I find short rideable patches, the pipe lagging on the frame doesn't appear to offer any benefit. Finally I reach what I thought was the top but no, I'm probably only 1/2 way up. Despite all the talk of tactics for hours in the pub it seems this has slipped both Tim and Dave's mind! Eventually I make it to the peak and dib in when I realise the volunteer scanning me in is the walker that guided me back the day before. She sends me off with lots of encouragement and the gruelling climb that I've just completed is forgotten, now for the descent, with the "go on Ian" YouTube video playing heavily on my mind I decide to follow a rider from Sterling who is doing a great job of avoiding the bogs. My plan is simple; get off my bike if they hit a bog and go over the bars.

After a few mins Richard comes flying past me and I jump on his wheel. A minute or so later and Richard hits a bog... I get off my bike. I check on Richard's well being and no harm done, I decide its safer to stay behind the rider from Sterling and I make it to the bottom without coming off once, I'm incredibly pleased with myself. As we move to the 2nd road section Richard and I are side by side which causes Dave a few issues but he's got water bottles at the ready and I'm soon heading downhill at over 40mph. A strong rider comes through and I catch his back wheel, he doesn't seem to want or need my help which is fine with me.

On to Whernside now, the climb is really slow, I'm in a long line of racers walking slowly up the steps, I feel like I can give more but concerned over using too much energy with still so much unknown about the rest of the course so I stay in line. This is a real drag but eventually I make it to the top and start the descent. This is far more technical than the first decent and I'm regularly having to get of my bike to find a safe passage, I have a minor off but no damage to the bike or me. The support crew are waiting at the bottom, I catch a glimpse of Jeremy but the bottle change is so quick I don't even get the chance to say hello (unlike Daniel who stopped for 35 seconds). I hit the road and plan to give an all out effort but I cramp in my right leg. A strong female rider comes past and I jump on, I really don't want to help and thankfully there are no signs of an elbow flick. She drags me round to the final climb and I ride for as long as I can but the cramp is now agonising. I have to stop, passers by try to help, other riders offer advice to "spin it out" but my right leg is locked and I can't move. Eventually the pain subsides and I'm back on my bike. Riders are now tearing down the hill at incredible speeds, brakes are squealing and nearly every rider coming down looks terrified. Pen-Y-Ghent looks longer than it is and the descent is for the brave, I lose 4 places on the way down but decide that its best to take it steady as my arms, hands and legs are all screaming, I thank god its over as I reach the bottom much to the amusement of the spectators. Finally onto the road for the last section and the cramp has eased, I'm pushing hard and have already taken 3 places back, just one more rider to go, he sees me coming and puts in a final effort but I catch him and make sure I go past fast enough not to let him catch my wheel. I'm safely in front now with just the last bend to go, I ease up and immediately the cramp comes back. The rider behind attacks again and now I'm really hurting but just manage to hold him off beating him by 1 second. I collect my medal in an Olympic fashion. I feel this is deserved after what I have endured but the volunteer seems less so impressed. I later find out the medals were being handed out John Rawnsley who organised and won the first event in 1961.

Tim, Daniel and the support crew were at the finish with beers ready to go. The perfect end to a great event.

So after all that I can say that I loved the 3 peaks and will be signing up for next years event with the hope of finding 12 mins to bring me in under 5 hours.

Thanks to Daniel for all the driving, Jamie for lending the van, Dave for the excellent support during the race, Sue for the great food and to all the guys for the advice and all the laughs along the way.
  • edited September 2017
    The highs the lows of racing. PBs, 21 seconds, 34 seconds and friends.

This year Team Ashwell went on mass to race the 3 Peaks Cyclocross race. It took nearly a year in the planning with Dave booking a massive house on the hope we could fill it. This he did with Ashwell, Pedalon and North Hampshire racers and support crew. After a very very long journey north on Friday we all arrived tired and nervous.
    Saturday morning was prep with planning of hand up points and a test ride to execise Daniels cattle grid. Bobs puncture within sight of the cottage didn't do much to calm my nerves about moving away from Land Cruisers. Practice of parts of the Whenside descent went well but somehow we managed to lose Dan. The afternoon was spent cleaning bikes and carb loading at the Wheatshef.

Sunday was race day and having dropped off the cool box at the first hand up point - then going back to hide it as we thought it looked like a suspious package, we arrived at the start and Dave set off to meet us at the base of Simons Fell.

Then before I knew it the race had started, my nerves gone, just hard work on the first road section. This was my second 3px which helped in that I knew to push on the road but ease back on the final road climb before Gill Garth. Then its Simons Fell which is when the effort really starts. I too went right this year to good success and Daniel, Dan and I were all still in sight at this point. After the main steep bit Daniel and Dan pulled away from me. On the descent I caught and overtook Dan with Dan calling he would follow my line - only for me to then do an Ian. Strangly Dan didn't follow my line from then on.

At Cold Cotes, Dan and I paired up to Dave at the hand up and then to Whenside. Dan was stronger on the road and I only then caught glimpses of him ahead on the climb. On the climb I kept getting cramp and I couldn't ride the final ascent - I was in the very dark place at this point.

The descent was too boggy to ride but this running seemed to help my cramps. The ridable descent was fast and great fun and lifted my spirits. I was glad to see Sue, Andrew & Jeremy at Ribblehead for fluid and gells to help my cramp. The 'descent' to Horton is a road section that seems to be somehow all up hill.

The ascent and descent of PenyGhent is completely mad where the race risk assessment must be a fantastic work of creative writing. Its fast, steep and full on 'baby head sized' rocks. This and Simons Fell to me make the 3px.

Then before I knew it I'm past last years crash sight and on the road back to the finish to be cheered by club mates accross the line. I finished in 5 hours 16 which is 19 minutes better than last year!

A great weekend with hard racing which means my legs are sore but also my belly and sides are sore with all the laughing from being with such great company.

Well done to Sarah for finishing second.
    Well done Adrian for finishing fourth.
    Well done Tim for a new club record - 21 seconds to make up next time to beat Dartford Mark Wyers time.
    Well done Daniel for finishing - 34 seconds to make up next time to break 5 hours.
    Well done Dan for finishing his first race.
    Well done Dave for helping his fellow club 'members'.
  • edited September 2017
    I need to thank Yoda. I was definately way out of control coming down Pyg Lane (AKA Pen-y-gent Lane); to brake would have resulted in a serious off (honestly I thought I would be killed if I came off). Every part of me wanted grip the brakes on; however a vision of Yoda appeared and spoke the words "Use not the brakes and regain control". And so it was.

Respect to all who rode, especially Sarah Barber; so consistent.

Many thanks to friends, their family and Dave. A simply lovely weekend wrapped around the best race.

This is my oxygen.
  • Nervewracking just reading these reports. Well done to all you wonderful nutcases. True grit and cameraderie.
  • Seen some pics from the top of PYG. Looks like a concrete staircase is there now. Don't remember it being like that?
  • Yes the last stretch to the summit has new steps made from huge slabs of stone. I was getting horrible cramp on those. Then there is a new short stretch of descent which was very boggy before jejoining the terror of the PYG descent.