Welcome to the forum

CCA LDN Xmas Bash and Club Ride- Fri 22nd

edited December 2017 in General
This year's annual Christmas drinks in London are scheduled for Friday 22nd Dec.

Full itinerary to be established by Mr Lawless but for those interested, we will probably ride down early morning, heading to Lea Valley Velodrome for laps of the outdoor crit circuit and coffee before a serene pedal along the canal paths into central London; Storing bikes inside Evans store Kings X (perfectly safe CCTV action inside the shop). From here it's to hook up with others, probably starting (with usual tradition) at Look Mum No Hands, Old Street.

More details to follow

Comments

• Only 6ish weeks away now. Keep your diary free.
  • thanks. planning to be there.
  • Suggested itinerary. Jump on at any point...

Friday, 22nd Dec 2018.

08.30am
    Ride to Lee Valley VeloPark
    from Ashwell, approx 45 miles, weather permitting.

12.30pm
    Coffee and cake inside the Olympic Velodrome
    @ LVVP.
    Then ride some fun loops of the outdoor road circuit. £4 each to get use of the circuit. Or £12 if you want to hire bike and helmet. Note: Stratford International train station, near LVVP, is just 6 mins via St Pancras station.

3pm
    Look Mum No Hands, Old Street, EC1. Food and drink.

If riding from LVVP, we'll go along the scenic no-car Regents Canal all the way.

5pm
    Festive drink in Clerkenwell's The Jerusalem Tavern

Then a train from King's Cross to Letchworth;
    5.53pm, arriving 6.22pm.
    6.23pm, arriving 6.55pm.
    7.21pm, arriving 7.50pm. Note: those wanting to bring their bikes back: this is the first possible train.

6.30pm-ish til whenever
    Garden City Brewery, Letchworth.

I expect there'll be those wanting food at some point? I suggest such plans are made ad hoc.
  • Will join from LMNH on Boris Bike
  • this was last years' route. Cold, crisp festive weather - here's hoping for the same

https://strava.com/activities/809237860/embed/6cfeb07cc38eb75bc332bbbc51db1b6eb19eea48
  • Under 3 weeks to go!
  • Don't think I can make it this time. Enjoy.
  • Long range forecast is cloudy, mild and a healthy tail wind to London.

Those Riding:

Matt S
    Martin L
  • I'm hoping to make the ride too, and will probably head home from Stratford and meet back in Letchworth later.

Matt - there seems to be bit missing from your route above. I'm guessing you'll come along the Walkern road, but if you could let me know the route and and ETA around the Bennington area that would be great. I'll meet you there rather than come up to Ashwell first.
  • Great Jenny, will be good to see you. Yes, think I forgot to restart my Garmin last year after I hooked up with Martin. Yep, through Walkern then the Walkern Road to Watton at Stone.

Let us know where you'll be. I guess we'll be at the Aston/Bennington Cross roads on the Walkern Road around 9:15
  • Here's the full route: Ashwell to the velodrome. 45 miles.

https://www.bikemap.net/en/r/2944382/

A bit different to last time. Let's go across Hackney and see the last few miles on the Lee canal path. It's a path I know well. It's surprisingly serene. And traffic-free.

Looking forward to it. All aboard! Super steady club run pace all the way.

I'm looking to do the winter crit at LVVP the next day if anyone fancies it? Separate 3rd and 4th Cat races in the afternoon.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/167139/Lee-Valley-Winter-Circuit-Series--05
  • Great, thanks. I'll be at the Aston Bennington crossroads just before 9.15 and will probably ride towards Walkern to keep warm. Looking forward to it!
  • Hopefully I'll be ready in time to join everyone, somewhere on that Watton to Hertford straight (via Stapleford/Waterford)
  • Looking forward to the ride to the Velodrome. The weather forecast is really quite nice. Slight tailwind and double-figure temp.

Vince hopes to join for a little bit from Ashwell, 8.30am, then turn around - and so get a bit of a festive fifty km in the bag. Maybe others would do the same?

cheers
  • Have a good ride and be safe. Would have liked to do this but can't make it this side of Christmas.
  • Me and David will join you for the festivities in letchworth, so just let us know when you are on your way back :)
  • Will see you at LMNH
  • Martin, I'll meet you at Tuns at 8:30.

Really looking forward to it, should be a great ride down.

Watching the derny at the Velodrome and eating a gala pie.

See others soon in LMNH.
  • 10 laps of the road race circuit and a tootle along the Regents Canal. We are in LMNH now everyone.
  • Sunny day