Welcome to the forum

Saturday 9th Dec 10am club ride ****Off road ride from Baldock*******

edited December 2017 in Club runs
Current forecast looks bitterly cold (-1 at 9am) so how about for a change we ditch the road bikes and dig out the ones with the fat tyres :)

I was thinking we could do a couple of laps of the letchworth greenway, so how about a 10am start at Baldock train station. A couple of laps will be 25 miles & then back to mine for some warming tea. Any old MTB will do as the greenway isn't too technical.

Who's in ??

Comments

• I'm up for that, will dust off the hybrid!! Ryan
  • Wow, radical departure from the norm, dude...yes I'm in too!
  • edited December 2017
    Good stuff chaps.

No 100% sure how all the greenway links up, so we might need to follow this

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2083147859

Wonder if it's possible to get lost in Letchworth :)
  • ..just do you normal routine, David and pretend you know exactly where we are!!
  • Looks good! I've done some of the greenway and yes easily lost! Starting point is still Baldock train station?
  • Yep, we will meet at Baldock station as it's the easiest place to meet in town. We can then cycle down Icknield way and join the Greenway on Norton road.
  • Sounds good.....I will dust off my old machine. (and pump up the tyres).

I will drive (too far on the Knobblys) so where's the best place to park Morrisons or could drive to yours and cycle in with you Dave.
  • edited December 2017
    Prob best to park on Bygrave Road Dave, as no time restrictions like there is in town. Should be spaces on the road up by mine or round the corner on Sailsbury Rd. Give me a knock and we'll cycle to the station together.
  • OK I'll give you a knock 9.30 ish.
  • Sorry I was thinking of Letchworth station!!!!!
    I will give a knock 9.55 ishhhhhh.
  • edited December 2017
    Great fun this morning on the letchworth greeway. Turned out to be a popular choice, with eight of us taking up the challenge. Right mix of machines out from some rather nice dual suspension ones right down to my retro '04 trek MTB that pre dated disc brakes :) School boy error on my part though as I pumped up the tyres, checked the brakes but didn't check the gears - and then found out when I rode to the station they didn't actually work :anguished: Stll, luckily the greenway is flat(ish) so who needs gears anyway !

Still pretty frozen on the greenway so lots of icy puddles for Dave and Tim to crunch through. Emma skilfully navigated us around in first a clockwise and then anti-clockwise direction. Good job she knew where she was going as we visited some parts of letchworth I didn't know existed !

So 23 miles @ at reasonable MTB speed, followed by some mince pies and warming coffee at mine.

Thanks all for a fun morning, def one to repeat again on an icy winter morning.

• I was tempted to join you but turbo-ed instead. But I did see you pass my house as you missed out the bit of the Greenway behind the Highfield School & went down my road ‘Highfield’ instead.
  • Great to get off road! Thanks Emma for navigating !!