Welcome to the forum

Ride London Club Challenge

Hi. As a BC affiliated club we can apply for places for teams of 4 in the Ride London 100 mile closed road sportive at the end of July.

This only works though if we have teams of 4 and everyone in that team then has to commit to pay the entry fee. On the day you don't actually have to ride as a team, you effectively ride as an individual (but in addition get a team finishing time as well).

Please see the rules below and post here if you want to try and form a team of 4, but note we will only apply if we have 1 or more teams of 4, and if successful it will then be up to the teams of 4 to make sure everyone in the team enters and find replacements if someone pulls out.

2018 PRL-S 100 British Cycling Club Challenge

Team applications close at 17:00 on Monday 19 March 2018.

There are places for 300 teams in the British Cycling Club Challenge. If the demand from clubs for team entries is greater than the available places, entries will be awarded on a proportional basis, based on the number of British Cycling members at each club followed by a random draw, if required.

Successful teams will be informed by Friday 30 March 2018. Clubs can apply for more than one team but all applications
from a club must be co-ordinated by one person on behalf of the club.

Each rider within the team must pay their own entry fee (£69) and complete their own online entry form; all four riders in the team must complete and pay for their entry by 17:00 on Monday 30 April 2018. Further information on this process will be sent to the successful club secretaries.

Please note:
• A team comprises four riders.
• Every rider in a team must be a current British Cycling member.
• Teams can comprise of four men or four women or a mixed team of two men and two women.
• Riders who hold an Elite or Category 1 British Cycling Race Licence are not eligible to enter the Club Challenge.
• Riders who have already secured an individual place through the original entry ballot or a charity place are not eligible to enter the Club Challenge.

Kind regards,
The Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100 team

Comments

• Thanks Stef

I'd be in if we can make a team of 4

Rgds

Andrew
  • Yes please.
    Steve L
  • Using Harley's account, but i would be interested

Emma Pell
  • I did it last year and it was a fantastic day out (even allowing for the ridiculously early start!). If you are looking for someone to make up the numbers for a team, then I'll more than happily do it again, but please give preference to anyone in the club who hasn't done it before.
  • I'd be interested, although others who have already expressed their interest should be the priority.
  • Myself, Taff and Graham are keen to put a team together for an early start/reasonably fast paced one.

Looking at the numbers so far we have a couple of teams worth:

Andrew R
    Steve L
    Emma P
    Brendan R
    Andy R
    Richard P
    Taff P
    Graham A
  • Just bumping this back to the top.

Because of the rule below really need another woman rider to make up a team with Emma + 2 men - any takers?

"Teams can comprise of four men or four women or a mixed team of two men and two women"
  • Hi. Yes I can ride if there is a place. I am new to the club.
  • Back to the top - any other women riders want to ride this event so we can make up a mixed team with Emma - great fun riding through closed roads in London and an amazing atmosphere.
  • Hi - will enter our application this afternoon. If we are successful you will have approx 1 month to get teams together and then enter, deadline 30th April. If by that point any of the teams are incomplete they will just lapse.
    If we dont get enough places the order people responded above will apply.

Andrew R
    Steve L
    Emma P
    Brendan R
    Andy R
    Richard P
    Taff P
    Graham A
    Harvey123

(if we are successful on a mixed team still need to find another woman rider to make up the 2+2.)
  • As previously mentioned, I'm happy to drop down the order to let people who haven't had the experience of taking part in Ride London before. I did it last year, so think it's only fair that someone else has the opportunity ahead of me this year. So if I'm needed to make up a second team, then I'll take part. Otherwise please continue without me.
  • Put in for 1 mixed team and 2 x male. We got 1 mixed and 1 male.
    Can I leave you all to sort out who rides in which team? First come first served but some were prepared to give way to others..Obviously still need one more woman to make up the mixed team. Anyone welcome, doesnt have to be CCA but preference there obviously.

Plenty of time as email says entry links will be sent mid April and closing date for entry 25th May. Over to you.
  • Anyone know how the team entry works? Do all team members get the same start time?
    Also, any other takers for the remaining ladies place to make up the mixed team? If not, perhaps we can start offering the place up to non-club members.

SteveL
  • Hi Steve

Yes all team members get the same start time and it is (to some extent) based on your estimated ride time

In order to get an early start put down a short estimated ride time.

Rgds
    Andrew R
  • I’m happy to give my place to someone else who hasn’t done it as I have done this once before.
  • Hi just bringing this back to the top.
    what has to happen next is i have to enter you as teams of 4 with names, then you will each get emails from RideLondon allowing you to enter and pay.
    you have to have entered and paid by 17:00 25th may.

i think looking at above the mens team of 4 in order should be:
    Andrew R, Steve L, Andy R, Richard P.

The there is a mixed team but needs 2 women, 2 men.
    So Emma + 1 woman, plus 2 from Brendan, Taff, Graham, Harvey

If everyone is happy with that I will enter mens team of 4 next week so you get the emails.

other team - i am not sure if Emma is still keen? Also will only work if you find another woman and need to know which men want to ride too. if not entered by above date the team place will lapse.

thanks.

• I'm happy to drop out, so if you find another lady then pick two from Taff, Graham and Harvey.
  • Brendan. Your more than welcome to take mine mate. I've done it a couple of times before. Once with a club space and the other through the ballot. So I'm happy to pull out
  • Thanks Taff, but I've since signed up for the free cycle with the kids the day before, so please go ahead and enjoy the 100. I did it with the club last year, and hopefully there will be other opportunities to do it again.
  • yes - i'm still really interested in doing this. Calling all ladies out there please would someone like to join me?

Emma.
  • No probs Bendan,
    As I mentioned earlier if any others who've not had the chance to ride this sportive and would like to take first dibs then I'd be more than happy let them ride ahead of me.
  • So.. if I'm lucky enough to get a place for this, I'd be interested to know people's thoughts re: logistics.
    * Drive down on the day & park somewhere near? Do you need to register day before?
    * Stay overnight? If so any cheap recommendations, with parking?

Any other good tips?

Cheers
    Steve.
  • Hi Steve
    Having done this before, I had to pickup the registration bits (numbers a timing chip) the day before from the Excel Arena. I stayed in London in the Bethnal Green area (got the train to London), was a short ride to the start in the early morning, my start time was around 6:30, so was up at 5. As for driving down on the day, that will be a very early start, no idea about parking. I would advise a hotel. You get a bag with your number and you load it on a van at the beginning so you can put your overnight rucksack in that. its only one of them tie tops so nothing too big.
    Hope that helps
    Graham
  • Steve, as Graham mentioned travel down the day before to Excel to pick up race bag number and have a look around the expo (get as much free stuff as you can) I stayed at my parents in Harlow and drove down and parked at Lea Valley Ice centre (payed through official Ride London website but it WELL BEFORE the date) As mentioned is a very early start (awake around 3am from memory) but saved a bit compared to hotel. Is about 15 minutes easy ride to start. Note. Stratford is a bit confusing (Brendan and i got mildly lost) depending on your start pen. Would advise minimal faffing, wear a bin bag as a gilet if it's chilly. As mentioned they have about 5 artic trailers for bag drop which are driven to the finish. Pack some coke or a snack in them, i was in bits at the end (your experience may vary) then its a gentle 30 min spin back to the ice rink (would advise plotting route on garmin and be aware roads are back open.

It was a fantastic day out so make sure you enjoy it
  • Largely what Chris said, but I travelled down from home in the morning. I left my house at ~2:30-3am. It was slightly surreal meeting my neighbours coming home from a night out, as I drove off to cycle 100 miles. The good thing about leaving that early is that there was virtually no traffic on the roads. But I suppose that depends on you having an early start time.

Great day out - enjoy!
  • Many apologies all, but I'm going to have to miss this one. I'm really sorry for this cropping up late in the day.

On the plus side, someone else has the chance to do the ride!
  • Apologies I haven't been on the forum for a while...
    I too have done this ride in the past so happy to pass the opportunity on to those that haven't.

Last time, I just got up early doors and drove down parked up near Angel and cycled over, there were a fair few other riders heading towards Stratford to follow. Getting back to the car and away up the A1 was straight forward enough from the finish.
  • I plan to drive down the day before - park at Excel to register and then walk to one of the hotels the other side of the Trainline, leaving my car at Excel and riding back after the sportive.

I've done the ride this way before and it worked out well - you also get to see the teams discussing tactics in the bar and getting their machines prepped for the pro race the next day.

If anyone else fancies this approach then there are some apartments available near to excel which can bring the price down to below £100 ea
  • Hi Steve
    We have used the Finsbury Sq car park through the event pre payment. Easy to get to early in the morning and about midway between start and finish. Felt the sign posting was better the second time as we got a bit lost 1st time. Getting the stuff before was a bit of a faff and thought the expo was not that good last time we went. Not sure if like the marathon you can get someone else to pick up?
  • Hi Andrew, I've just sent you a PM.
    Steve