• FDFD
    edited August 2018
  • FDFD
    edited August 2018
  • edited April 2018

• FDFD
    edited March 2018
    Thanks Andy

I promise not to beep and please excuse me in advance if, on occasion, some of my language needs bleeping.

I don’t like to stand out from the crowd too much so wondered if the following are compulsory on these rides:
    -beard
    -fixie steel bike
    -club colours
    -half wheeling

Please advise

FD
  • in your situation less is more.
  • FDFD
    edited August 2018
  • FD. If you need kit let me know. I have stock in most sizes. Dan.
  • FDFD
    edited August 2018
  • Pardon ?
    What colour is the kit ?
    Need to use on Saturday morning sprint as well.

Colour Paralysis
  • edited March 2018
    For those who may (or indeed may not) be interested, Captain P is James Boyle, geoffg is Geoff Godschalk, FD is John Langrish, Andy S is Andy Skeen and I’m Will Smith (believe it or not).

There was a time on the old forum where everybody had to have their first name and initial on their profile (different to their username, but if you wanted to know who they were you could click on that and it would take you to a page which would tell you). Maybe we should do that again on here?

I know nobody is trying to hide their identity on here but this is just a post to clarify a few things for any new members who may be confused by the various exchanges on the forum.
  • FDFD
    edited August 2018
  • Thanks John. There are enough Feuding Dickheads knocking around in this day and age. Last thing we need on our forum is a few trolls winding each other up.

I am not taking sides or getting involved in this silly argument, I just worry that it puts members who are nothing to do with it (like myself) off of riding the club runs.

I teach 8 year olds who would find these exchanges tedious.
  • Hear hear Will

For my part these exchanges make the forum feel like a toxic place to be and I have minimised my use to providing or requesting information only.

This is a shame given that the forum was one of the features that attracted me to the club 10 years ago.

Andrew
  • Will,

Well said, normal communication is best.

Richard Maynard
  • Also agree with this (anyone else? )I'm tired of endless silly posts on here, its a cycling club not a childrens 80's tv show

Mark Bracci
  • FDFD
    edited August 2018
  • I think we now have a clear cardour of view developing. A simple set of messages are emerging: post on the topic, be positive, recognise that to the many, this is starting to look like a place where opinions are not welcome by the few.

Jess L Club Sec
  • Good stuff
    Happy to do my bit when the personal attacks that have continued for some time stop.
    Previous members have not stopped this, hence I assume condoned it.
    Last one from me.
    Happy cycling !
  • That’s james boyle.
    It has been blocked previously.
    Happy to use when available.
  • I do rather agree with Andrew, this is all very tiresome and toxic and one of the reasons i have stepped down as secretary and am using the forum much less.

It is sad that the trolls and pirates above have caused such a rift in the club and such ill feeling over the years but i know that there are some really good people now getting involved to take the club forward.

James and John, maybe this would be a good time to stop the pirate nonsense, change your usernames, ride in CCAshwell jerseys and maybe turn up and help at some club events in a more positive manner.
  • FDFD
    edited August 2018
  • Hello! Andy S, I've been out of action but making a return on Sunday! I'll try not to drink too much gin on Saturday night!
  • The problem John is as a reader of the forum who has tried not get involved, I see the attacks coming from you, not aimed at you. You might call it a sense of humour but I see pointed little comments taking a dig at everything from the club dinner to MC's club ride and the switch to 930.

Its clear from talkimg to others and a number of comments in the recent survey that others see it the same way as I do. And plenty are put off using the forum or even joining the club as they dont understand yours and James piratical posts and see them as devisive and cliquey. You will remember when this first blew up several years ago that was our request to you both...think about your posts and how people outside the club would see them, how they would represent the club. I dont think either
  • edited April 2018
  • Happy to actually talk to anyone about it.

James
  • edited April 2018
  • I think that is very unfair Andy. We have been in this position so many times before and the pirate nonsense and petty snipping just creeps back in.
    As long as there is a forum I suspect this won't stop. I just don't see any apology above, at least not from James.
    I have not contributed to this rift, I'm not sure I have ever even met John, and haven't had any communication with James for many years. What I have done is put up to 15 hours a week for the last 12 years into a great little club but I'm tired of it, I've had enough.
    I'm not on the committee anymore, am finished with reading the forum and I'm not even sure this is the club for me if this still carries on. I think it is upto James and John to do something positive. The pirate stuff could stop now and Will still needs volunteers for the Primavera.

• Apologies my earlier post got truncated. Travelling and incompetent use of mobile on my part. Anyway doesn't matter now the moment has past.

I think we're done now anyway, agree Andy this thread is done on this subject. But moral high ground, do me a favour! 5 years of nonsense and pointed little comments on the forum. Joining Welwyn and riding in Welwyn colours. All perfectly fine, no club rule that doesn't permit that, but moral high ground?! Discussion over from my perspective.
  • edited April 2018
  • Andy - it is difficult to mediate when you are part of the problem.

Making peace through discussion (not on the forum) is clearly the best way forward.