Welcome to the forum

Tour of Cambridgeshire GranFondo Advice.

Would like any advice regarding the event as I am entered in the Race pen. I know some of the club have past experience and I would appreciate any words of wisdom. I am aware it is flat, fast and furious. If you would prefer to contact me by email it is grahamduguid@yahoo.com

Thank you

Comments

• Hi Graham!
    Fun event; how hard it is depends on how windy it is on the Fens, and how desperate you are to qualify for the finals... Last year was brutal, finished in 3hours15, which was enough to qualify, but I was in bits by the end, and snapped my bars with 5miles to go.
    The start is frantic- goes off at about 26mph for the first few miles - be very careful who's wheel you're on, as after about 4 miles, where the roads suddenly get narrow and twisty, there always seems to be a big crash in the same place. Last year it happened right in front of me, and split the bunch- I used way too much energy over the next half hour chasing the front half (and towing the others), and only caught them at the top of Alconbury Hill.
    The Fens are horrible if it's windy and you get stuck on your own- you're best off finding a bunch to work with and shelter a bit- if you get disconnected from your main bunch, there's plenty of smaller groups coming through constantly.
    The penning process before the start is a bit painful - if it's hot, then take an extra disposable bottle of water to drink while you wait; it takes ages, but it's worth getting to your pen early to get a decent position.
    We camped onsite- it made registration easier, and after the race was nice to just collapse at the tent and have a bbq rather than attempting to drive home...
    We're not doing it this year, but it's a good event- enjoy it! And would you go to Italy for the final if you qualify..?
  • I would say similar to Dave. The start is fast, but you really need to get to the front of the bunch. I was working with Martin L, we were making good progress in getting to the front of the bunch, when the narrowing lanes (or maybe catching stragglers from an earlier group, I couldn't see) caused a crash in the bunch...
    I thought I had gotten away with it, but no. I hit the deck. I was then shouted at, for being in the way (really!) & by the time I was back on my bike, there was no way back to the front bunch.
    I chased back on to what was probably the 3rd bunch (hard work).
    As Dave says, you really need to be in a bunch over the Fens. I got caught out on my own there a few years ago... it was brutal!
    But, it is a great event. Most of the pubs along the route are really busy, with loads of people out supporting the event. And riding on closed roads is lovely!
    Enjoy!
  • Dave, Matt,
    Thanks for your replies.
    I have driven around the course and I can imagine the difficulties you had if it's windy. My aim is to qualify for Italy and yes I would go if successful...under a lot of pressure as I have family members looking forward to an Italian holiday.!!!
    I am in the Race pen for my age group so I assume my age category 60-64 will be near the front so will be clear of the early pinch points and have the benefit of getting a tow in other groups. Looking forward to it. And my race plan is get around as fast as I can......
  • From memory, I think it was the other way round, I'm afraid Graham - the youngest groups start first...
    I reckon you should be able to qualify ok, though - it's a bit of a numbers game, but if you're in the race pens it does give a bit of an advantage over non-race competitors speed-wise, so if you can keep pushing on with quickish groups who are used to bunch-racing, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting into the top 25%...
    Good luck!
  • Dave, Thanks....Oh the joys of getting older. And thanks for the vote of confidence, I won't let you down.