Welcome to the forum

Saturday 19th May 9.30am club ride

I'm a moment of madness back in the winter I signed up to do the Etape du Dales this weekend !!! So I'll be off up to Yorkshire this weekend to do some stupidly massive hills :)

As I'm not around, can somebody navigate a club ride tomorrow morning? I was thinking that the route towards Cambridge & back might be a good one to do.

Ashwell-Barrington-Barton-Madingley-Dry Draton-Gransden-Croyden-Ashwell (48ish miles)

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/682462474

Enjoy, and see you all next week

Comments

• Somewhat in the opposite direction to my planned route for the intermediate ride
    We’re going out via Hinxworth and then up through Waresley. Stopping at Bourn for coffee (and scotch eggs?).
    Shame we’ll miss you
    But enjoy some hills
  • Pete - we could always come with you for the coffee stop, and then split into 2 groups afterwards if necessary. Just an idea, see what the consensus is tomorrow...
  • Ok Tim, see you in the morning.
  • Wont be there tomorrow, enjoy.
  • Thanks for a lovely ride this morning folks.
  • Nice ride today, cheers!
  • So, 12 our in the sunshine today. A good tow from Tim and Simon through Gamlingay, Waresley and onto Gransden where we met up with Farmer Tom. On to Bourn (Wysing Art Centre Cafe to be specific - Martin!). Nice coffee and cakes (Thanks Martin for the extra cakes).
    Tom and Martin peeled off on separate routes.
    The rest of us came back via Eversdens and Chapel Hill, with Royston and Bassingbourn riders peeling off en-route.
    Five of us back to Ashwell for a hotly contested sprint which was won by Mareike, despite Gary claiming the finishing line was at the far end of the village.
    40 miles @ 16.5 mph, which was fine for the group out.
    Really nice to be out in some decent weather
    Cheers
    Peter
  • edited May 2018
    Thanks Pete, good ride and a surprisingly nice cafe stop at Wysing Arts Centre. Good to see a full complement of the Bassingbourn posse out as well!

Slightly relieved to get home safely, after Alan and I having nearly got mown down twice by cars on the ride over to Ashwell first thing, and then my near-death experience with that pothole-from-hell at the "organ barn" near Hinxworh - same one that caught Paul a couple of weeks ago I think.
  • edited May 2018
    "Organ Barn" :-)

That pothole is almost impossible to spot in dappled shade. Perfectly placed to catch a cyclist out. Glad you're ok Tim. My plan to create a drop bar MTB comes ever nearer to reality...
  • Yes, great ride , thanks Pete.
    They say everything comes in threes, Tim had all of his on Saturday morning, I had to wait for my 'third' until cycling into work this morning when a car waiting for another one in front to take a right hand turn suddenly decided to undertake into the cycle lane to get past. The fact that I was in the cycle lane at the time didn't seem to affect their decision and only a wild, instinctive swerve to the left saved me from being knocked off!
    The traffic lights were kind to him/her, so I didn't manage to catch them up..
    We need to be so careful these days.
  • Tim, I nearly got caught out by that pothole again the othe day, but fortunately managed to bunny hop it at the last minute. The council seem to be making good random stretches of country lanes,but there's still far too many leathal holes out there. Some of the worst ones are under trees in dappled sunlight, which are hard to spot with sun glasses on.