Welcome to the forum

Routes in Yorkshire

Hi All -

I am heading up for a weekend riding in Yorkshire later this month with a bunch of friends. I was wondering if anyone has any favourite routes, climbs or lunch-stop tips that can share?

We are staying in Hawes, so will definitely be going up Buttertubs once or twice. I am also keen to ride up Park Rash (if for no other reason than wanting to deserve this: Park Rash Print )

Any advice gratefully received!

thx
Mat

Comments

• Park Rash is brutal!!!! Def head over to wharf dale, down through kettlewell and past kilnsey crag, hang a right up litton dale and over to Malham to come down past the cove- if you leave via signs to settle that will bring you back round to Hawes via ribblehead
  • Head North Mat. Buttertubs, Keld, Tan Hill, Arkengarthdale, Reeth, Grinton, Redhill,and back fast to hawes.
    2... Buttertubs,Keld,Low Row, Arkengarthdale, Reeth,Askrigg,Hawes.
    3... South to Gayles, Oughtershaw over fleet moss, east along the wharf valley to Buckland, north to Aysgarth, Redhill,West to Askrigg, Hawes.
    If you want a long one try this. One of my favorites. https://www.plotaroute.com/route/478772
    I live in Gilmonby(next to Bowes.) so welcome to drop by and I can show you some stunning routes from Me.
    Don't forget the Stang and Reeth to Marske, Newsham, Barningham, Stang and back to Reeth. Hawes to Askrigg Grinton brings you to Reeth and then to Marske.
  • edited June 2018
    The Etape du Dales route passes through Hawes and is nicely described with a download via the following link. It is a classic Dales route and the event has been popular with CCA in the past. IMO the route nicely showcases what the area has to offer.

https://www.etapedudales.org/route
  • great stuff - thx v much all!
  • Have fun. When you up here Mat?
  • In 2 weeks - we're driving up on the morning of 22nd. I'm really looking fwd to it!
  • I have Harley and Travis Pell staying with me from 18th to 21st june.
    I'll happily trundle over and join you or at least give you some of the best stopping points for coffee and lunches.
    I doubt I can hang in with your pacing but happy to steer you onto the less well known and stunning bits.
    If you are simply after strava sections and hill climb times then there are still some lesser known challenges. Also if it's pre mountain european training then I might be able to steer you onto some ideal sections.
    You do know don't you that it costs you nothing to stay here on our farm. All the climbs you want and some you don't know about are central to us.
    Jeremy P. is up here and we are doing some rides next weekend with some of his friends staying over for 2 days cycling.
    Maybe we can tie up with themfor some interesting rides over to Cumbria. He has some fabulous rides all within reach of you in Hawes.
    Hope to see you all soon. You are in for a treat. The run over fleet moss and into the Wharf valley is magical. Nice pub The George Just before Buckland is a good stop.
  • Good to ride with you Mat on the Sunday when you were all tired out by the previous days rides :-) Couldn't have stayed with you at all earlier.
    Now you know why I think this area has some of the best cycling routes in the country. Good weather helps too.