Welcome to the forum

Breaking Away - Movie 22.40 20th June

For those of us of a certain age that watched this at the cinema in "79", tonight's your chance to catch it again. I don't think it's aired that often,but i enjoyed it back in the day, and it's certainly got a few moments in it to make you laugh.

Here are the channel details and an IMDB film review of it.

You can watch Talking Pictures TV on Virgin 445, Freesat 306, Freeview or Youview 81 or on the Sky digital satellite platform, channel 328.

A film to treasure!!!
GregRG5 January 2000
Breaking Away is a picture that is better than the sum of its parts. Oh, its parts are wonderful. The writing is sharp, observant, and funny (It won an Oscar!), the acting is superb (how Paul Dooley was nixed a nomination never mind the award I'll never know), and it is a well shot film. But its charms go even deeper. It is the story of four young men in their late teens, who are staring adulthood in the face after a year of leisure in the "small town" of Bloomington, Indiana, and how they deal with watching successful college kids pass them by. It is also about a young man in search of an identity (including that of a Italian bicycle racer), and of a family that is loving and supportive, almost in spite of itself. All these add up to a richly enjoyable, deeply moving family picture that gives us many moments to treasure (a large number include Paul Dooley as the frustrated and confused, but eventually loving father). Like other sports movies (the lead character races bicycles), it has a contest at the end, and like many much poorer ones, it ends with triumph. But we cheer not only for these immensely likeable "cutters," but for ourselves, for being treated to this bittersweet, touching, and wonderful movie.

56 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Yes No | Report this

Comments

• One of my all time favourite films and one of the reasons I became a cyclist. The leg shaving scene is a classic.

It is repeated late on Friday night if you missed it first time around.
  • Love that film so much! Being Italian makes it even funnier of course..one of my favourite lines among many is when the father complains..”..why do we always have to eat these ‘ini’ foods?”
    upon being served Linguini,Fettuccini etc...so many levels to this film too...a classic .