Welcome to the forum

Etape du Tour 2018

Next year’s event will be Annecy to Grand Bornand and according to locals I stayed recently it will be on 8th July. The Tour route is announced next week so, a good time to think about flights before the price goes up.

I recently stayed with Bikeweekender.com, which is where I have skiied for the last 15 years and they have a great set up.

Will probably do a long weekend or week.

Comments

• Flights booked :-)

I will use Ronan Pensec as they have been great for me in the past....
  • Booked my flights, Thurs to Monday.
  • Booked my flights too - I like the look of the Bikeweekender offer but will go with the flow - would be good to all use the same company.
  • I favour the Bikeweekender, because the chalet is only 1.5km from the finish so easy to ride back to after the event and if I don't get an entry place there are lots of rides accessible from the front door.
  • Just seen the route - the Col du Romme/Columbiere combination is super nasty coming late on in the event. Unless I am very mistaken Martin and I rode this section on our Morzine trip in 2016.
  • Guys,

I have a temporary reservation at Bikeweekender for 2 twin rooms which they will hold until people know if they have places.

Col du Romme/Columbiere combination is spicy.
  • entries open on Monday but last year entries were still available in January so there is no great rush.
    If you book with Ronan Pensec they guarantee you a place anyway if you cant get one through ASO.

I will also be going with Ronan Pensec as theyve been great in the past and got some mates travelling with them too.
  • I'm booked with RP, fly out Friday from Luton return Monday.

now... where is that bike ???
  • If anyone else is interested according to the website there or only 1000 places left.
  • howdy,
    Does anyone know what the best route back to Annecy will be from Grand Bornand?
    The official website is lacking in the 'after the race' FAQ info at the moment...
    cheers pilch
  • The main road down through Thônes to Veyrier du Lac is perfectly rideable (D909?) It's super wide and I would think there'll be loads of people doing it.
  • Or back over the Glières!?!

I rode that the other week. It's bloody steep for long periods. My advice is fit the biggest cassette you can!
  • Cheers for the advice - i was thinking rolling back down the D909 would be the best option.

I'd love to think i had the legs to put in another 1500m climbing up the Glières to get back however....
  • Anyone have a preferred bike insurer they have used previously?
  • We tend to use Yellow Jersey for racing abroad- never had to claim yet, but they let you insure for just a few days at a pretty reasonable cost. Otherwise, it's British Cycling's promoted insurers, Thistle, for year round insurance, that includes damage while racing...
  • You caould also have a look at Assetsure Cycle Insurance...
  • I’m in Annecy at the moment. Defo D909 through Thones. Glieres was “interesting”. Have fun all. It’s breathtaking (in more ways than one).
  • What starting area are people in? I am in number 7.
  • Grp 6 for me, think Martin is 4 and Ali 2?

Cheers MC :)
  • Group 9 for me
  • Pen 3 for me.
  • quite a contingent of CCA.....like MC says...have a good ride. Hope the weather doesn't overcook you.
  • Annoyingly for me EasyJet cancelled my flight yesterday and the next available seat is tomorrow lunchtime. Providing there are no delays I will get to register, but should put enjoying the weather and having a warm up ride.

I was lucky getting a seat it was chaos at Luton, lots were told that the next flights were Sunday.

I am in starting pen 4.