Welcome to the forum

Ashwell - Wells-Next-The-Sea CCA Classic, Fri 7 Sept 2018, 8.15am

edited July 2018 in General
An early reminder about this CCA Classic for the diary... Hope to see you there.

Ashwell — Wells-Next-The-Sea Classic
Friday, 7th September 2018, 8.15am
start from The Three Tuns
123 miles to the beach and then back on the train from King's Lynn.

If you've done it before: you know the score for what's what. If you haven't - but fancy it - have a think about it. Ask someone who's done it before. It's always a satisfying to ride point-to-point and get to a coast. One good thing is that as we generally ride near train stations, there are plenty of options to bail out.

Self-sufficiency is essential. So bring everything you need; especially a map or some way to self-navigate if you end up solo for whatever reason.

If the weather is rubbish: we'd cancel in advance. Though that didn't stop us last year! Yikes.

Anyway. There's plenty o' summer riding between now and then.

Cheers!

Comments

• Please, no rain like last year
  • It’s never going to rain again so it will by dry!
  • Wouldn't miss my birthday (day before birtbday) ride
  • I plan to do this again Martin, plus my mate Lee Boothby who enjoyed the weather so much last year he wants to do it again.
  • I'm in (and taken the day off), hopefully after a dry July, it won't start raining in September
  • its got a lot of catching up to do Toma....don't bank on it :-)
  • It rained a month's worth in about 4 mins last year!
  • Yes please - did it last year in truly biblical conditions so hepefully better weather this year!
  • edited July 2018
    Martin L
    Jon S
    MC
    Matt P
    Matt S
    Fletch
    Toma
    Lee B
    John H

So that's 9 so far, which is perfect for us to ride this all the way there:

Hang on...
  • I think i ride that most days!
  • Expressing (tentative) interest...will confirm nearer the time.
  • Anybody up for a return trip?
  • I'm in please Martin - and good news Helen has offered to do a pop-up cafe of some kind in Narborough (we're planning on staying the weekend in Wells).
  • Tim.... AMAZING!... are you taking contributions for Pork Pies and Beer?!
  • Hi Martin,

Stick my name on the list.

Might be up for the return leg.
  • edited July 2018
    Matt - thanks, let' see how things pan out, I'll have a word with Martin, maybe the club can contribute something...
  • Tim: that's great news. We can catch up on specific logistics but for now it's good to note that people can presumably drop stuff off at the Tuns, that they can get to 75 miles or so into the ride in sunny Narborough.

One thing not being carried in a car is Vince's bugle that he will use to motivate us in our charge through Norfolk.

I'll also speak to the Tuns about opening up for pre-ride coffee.

Martin L
    Jon S
    MC
    Matt P
    Matt S
    Fletch
    Toma
    Lee B
    John H
    Andy N
    Will
    Tim A
    Steve J
    Vince
  • edited July 2018
    Yes ok Martin let's discuss off-line. But re dropping stuff off, the car won't be at the Tuns in the morning so anything that needs taking will need getting to me the day before. So we can certainly take the Crumps pork pies, beers and anything else needed for the lunch stop (Crumps pies obviously being a mandatory part of any Wells trip). We will sort out water, tea, coffee, cakes etc as well of course.

Perhaps we should also drop-off the bugle the day before as well, that way we won't accidentally on purpose forget to take it...
  • Hi Martin,

Stick my name on the list.
    I would like to do the return leg if the weather is dry and the pace is not too fast
    rob
  • Last time we did the trip there and back it was 200 miles at around 17mph I seem to remember. That was with myself, Robbie, Martin H, JMac and Shaun? I think? I'm getting old, memory's off on one...
  • Hi Martin, add me to the list too.
  • I am in. Tempted with the return trip again. Will, memory gone... Shaun was not with us last time.
  • I am hopefully in, one way, possibly with a mate Paul.
    My memory's only good for stuff I dont need to remember.. I think it was Jeremy with you.
  • Martin L
    Jon S
    MC
    Matt P
    Matt S
    Fletch
    Toma
    Lee B
    John H
    Andy N
    Will
    Tim A
    Steve J
    Vince
    Bert B
    Graham
    Martin H
    Stef
    Paul

• Please add me on too thanks Martin. Ryan
  • Limited edition badges for every rider who ride this Classic.

Martin L
    Jon S
    MC
    Matt P
    Matt S
    Fletch
    Toma
    Lee B
    John H
    Andy N
    Will
    Tim A
    Steve J
    Vince
    Bert B
    Graham
    Martin H
    Stef
    Paul
    Ryan

• Hi Martin.
    Just been given a pass. Add me to the list please.
  • All of a sudden, this is next Friday. Looking forward to it.

A few things to say now...

I will try and get to the Club Night on Tuesday (4th Sept), Three Tuns, approx 8.30pm. It's a chance to meet for anyone wanting more detail about this ride - or the Belgium trip.

I will let the forum know if there'll be coffee available in the Three Tuns beforehand. I'll confirm either way as soon as I can.

We set off 8.15am. Likely, two groups a few minutes apart, and we will regroup as one at Ely Cathedral when we hit the quiet lanes and traffic melts away. Let's look to be super disciplined in our group riding.

We will hit Arrington Hill early on (A1198) with the tail end of rush hour. Single-out and avoid spreading out and causing inconvenience to traffic.

We ride a short section of the A10 shortly after Ten Mile Bank. Again. Single out, perhaps set off in small groups, stay extra vigilant.

Buy train tickets in King's Lynn in groups to get a slight discount. The Fenman pub is good for a pint while awaiting a train. We will have to split and go on a few trains throughout the evening, as there's so many of us. Let's be accommodating to the staff and passengers.

Bring good lights.

Ensure you're able to navigate to one of the stations should you need to bail out at some point. Along the way, Ely, Downham Market and King's Lynn are in easy reach of the route to shorten the ride if need be.

Please only confident riders at the back please. And only take the front if you're confident of where you're headed. Shout out if you're suffering and keep an eye out for anyone getting lost behind - or shooting off the front down a blind alley and into Farmer Giles's barn.

The weather forecast is GOOD.

There'll be FREE refreshments along the way at Narborough! Courtesy of Tim A's family. Very, very kind.

Remember to grab your limited edition WINNER's badge from me at King's Lynn station.

Fancy the ride? Add your name to the list, or simply see you at the Three Tuns, Friday 7 Sept, 8.15am, when we set off.

Martin L
    Jon S
    MC
    Matt P
    Matt S
    Fletch
    Toma
    Lee B
    John H
    Andy N
    Will
    Tim A
    Steve J
    Vince
    Bert B
    Graham
    Martin H
    Stef
    Paul
    Ryan
    Taff

• edited August 2018
    For those of us contemplating the return journey, if the weather is as GOOD as Martin has forecast then leaving the tuns at 6.30am will be a good idea. We will stop several times for food and topping up bottles etc, but make sure you have plenty to eat on the bike, there is quite a long stretch after Narborough where there is nowhere to stop on the route. Fish and chips tastes like heaven at Wells, but nothing’s a patch on a pint of Guinness and packet of pork scratching (or 10) at the Tuns when we get back... So far I think it’s Myself, possibly a chap from Stevenage CC who’s a mate of mine, Martin H, Taff Steve J and Dave Wells who are up for the 200 miler.

Apply chamois cream like you’ve never applied it before...
  • Sounds good Will. See you at the Tuns 6:30am.