Welcome to the forum

1 Day To Go...CCA TdF Super Summer Seventy Social Friday 27th July

edited July 2018 in General
A la 2017, the 2018 mid summer ride / social is on once again... this time to align with Stage 19 of Le Tour de France (d'Aspin, Tourmalet, D'Aubisque).

The day starts with a classic ride across the chiltern hills (including our own beasty climbs... Invinghoe Beacon and Bison Hill) to Tring where a welcome break is to be had at The Cog cafe link for coffee, bacon sarnies, cake etc etc.

It's then the run back under the Luton flight path to Letchworth and the Garden City Brewery link to watch Stage 19 of Le Tour, accompanied by beer, cheeseboards, scotch eggs and pork pies...

Everyone is welcome, either to ride, ride and drink, or just turn up to watch the racing and the craic.

Route will be the same as last year (although will need tweaking to avoid the muddy bridal path!) Starting at 9am sharp from the Garden City Brewery, The Wynd, Letchworth, returning for approx 2pm.

Last year's route

Stick you name below to give an idea of numbers...

Comments

• Matt S
    Steve M
  • edited June 2018
    I'm in for the Bison Hill & Beer Combi!
    Great day out last year, so let's hope for a few more names down here. Remember it's not
    Just about the bike!
    Thanks for arranging Matt.
  • edited July 2018
    Hiya Matt. I’m looking forward to Friday 27th.

Maybe like last year, those unable to take day time off we might see after work for an early evening drink? 6-7pm?

Hopefully like last year we can arrange a place in Letchworth to stash a change of clothes to watch the Tour out of lycra.

Allez!
  • Is the date this Friday (20th), or next Friday (27th)?

• edited July 2018
    What day is it? Friday 27th!... is that the last mountain day of the Tour?... Yes! Can I sack off work and ride my bike?...crack on! Can I come to Hertfordshire 's home of cycling (Letchworth) to sample some tasty beer?... abso-frooming-lutely!
  • Prob gonna take car and dump stuff in there.
  • "Once we've finished here, lets pop in to Letchworth Garden City Brewery"...."I'll drink to that"

• I'm in!
    Looking fwd to seeing you all at 9am on Friday.
  • Looking like just 4 of us riding so far as Steve can't make it. Ride still open to anyone... not too late...

Casual pacing 16 mph or so. We'll be stopping half way (35 miles) at The Cog in Tring. A large variety of cake, coffee and cooked sandwiches available.

if u are planning to meet at LGC Brewery (The Wynd, Letchworth) to watch The Tour, let me know so I can inform them of numbers.
  • I would like to join you please. Might be easier for me to join you on the way, what route do you take out ?
  • Fletch, route here.. GPSies - cca_social_5

We go out through Letchworth, Willian and then towards Preston...
  • Thanks Matt. I guess you should go through Letchworth about 9.30 so I will be by the fountain from 9.20 is that ok ?
  • Change that. Will meet you in Willian at Wymondley rd junction. That leaves you more options of how to go through Letchworth.
  • Just to Confirm, ride starts and finishes at Letchworth Garden City Brewery in the Wynd....

Arrive 8:45am at Garden City Brewery (The Wynd) for a 9am departure, heading out towards the Chiltern Hills and up Invinghoe Beacon towards Tring.

Stop at The Cog, Tring for a shot of coffee and cake based sustenance before heading back, this time via Bison Hill and back to Garden City Brewery for approx 2pm.

Nice steady club run pace, timings based on 16mph Av so no need to rush.
  • Now it makes sense. Will meet you at the start then.
  • Looking like a lean quintet on Friday so far...

Matt
    Martin
    Paul
    Mat P
    Fletch

Possibly some thunder Friday but 9-2 looks as hot as ever! Bring plenty of water... definitely a 2 bidon ride

Late comers welcome!...
  • edited July 2018
    It's all set up nicely to watch Friday's Stage 19 in Letchworth's Garden City Brewery. I think it's going to be a cracker.

• The summer ride is 9am.
    • We expect to be back at the Brewery around 2pm.
    • Estimated Stage 19 finish is between 4.30pm-5.10pm.
    • I expect we'll be discussing the aftermath for a few hours thereafter - so if you can't make the day, maybe pop in after work? Text us 07977652247

• Updated course to avoid the bridal path / farm! GPSies - CCA Summer Social18

Look forward to seeing you tomorrow....

• The lightning conductor has been attached to my helmet. See you in Letchworth
    at 8.45 Gents.
  • Good day out on the bike followed by fun post ride refreshments and banter.

Thanks for organising Matt.
  • Well, despite the gloomy predictions, we struggled to see a cloud on Friday and hot weather riding was the order of the day!

After a slightly delayed getaway (blame telephone parking payment technology!), six of us headed 'Chilterns' bound to tackle some altitude in our quest for sustenance at Tring before returning to watch a crucial stage 19 of the TdF.

After an assault of Ivinghoe Beacon which saw Martin, Mat and Steve setting the tarmac on fire (if it wasn't already), we arrived in the welcoming arms of the most non-cycling themed, but cycling named cafe - The Cog! Just missing the breakfast shift, the lovely ladies at The Cog redeemed themselves by rustling up some great food and ice cold Coca Cola (best applied to forehead before opening!).

Following our refuel, we pointed the bikes towards the 'Whipsnade White Lion' and started pedalling! Bison proved to be as tough as ever and was following by a few more testing rises on our way back to Hertfordshire. A brief stop in Markyate to Fanta-Up (You couldn't drink enough fluid) and we were Letchworth bound. With the roads offering up a furnace like 'waft' every time we stopped, it was more comfortable to keep moving so pressed on to Letchworth.

We arrived at LGC Brewery to be greeted by Holly who had the table in front of the TV reserved for us before knocking up a freshesing non-alcoholic mojito and a Half Nelson Chaser.

All in all another great ride with some stonking weather, great food and even better beer.

• Thanks Matt. The perfect timed ride, as summer ended a matter of hour's after the finish
    and winter kicked in !

Roll on 2019 Tdf ride,post ride and another "G" Victory...?
  • It was a great day out, thanks v much to Matt for getting us all together.

And sorry again for my parking failure!

Mat