Welcome to the forum

Ride London Club Challenge

13»

Comments

• fyi - I'm going to drive and park near Highbury & Islington and ride over to Stratford from there. I did that a few years back and it was pretty easy and good to get back up the road afterwards...bloomin early start though...

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/19820606
  • Yes I have seen that before as well at Kingston . I will try . The stewards are only agency
    Works in anycase so they are not that overly bothered
  • If they are been really stubborn and insistent, then ive looked up a little way to cut in after the start line. But that will mean you wont get an official time.
    As the start goes out along Waterden Road. Go out via, Rothbury Road (near hackney wick) follow it round on Chapman Road then Eastway and join the route where it joins Waterden Road. Looking on peoples youtube videos there was no marshalls there. Shouldn't take too long to do that.
  • Ok thanks Graham I will check it out as a back up option.
  • How did you get on Harvey? did you managed to get an early start?
  • Hi Graham. At the end I decided not to go . I was not comfortable about trying to get into the early waves and the the issue with the bag which I would have needed at the end due to the weather so I gave it a miss for this year. How did u get on ? Did u manage to get out earlier ?
  • Ah no, that’s a shame. Managed to get in with Taff, although we missed his start time. They were checking everyone’s colour for entry but I snuck in by some toilets. The ride it self was horrible in the weather, soaked and cold, didn’t enjoy it. Was quite hungover too which wasn’t ideal.
  • edited July 2018
    Looks like most of us braved the elements, I saw Steve and Richard at the start and Taff and Graham steamed past me a bit later and I see from the results that Emma completed the ride too - Chapeau!.
    First time I'd been out on the bike since the Dales ride in May so it was hard work as well as pretty damp.
    Few organisational glitches at the start caused a bit of anxiety but they got us away on time which was the main thing.
    The last 10 miles were a bit stop and go as the organisers seemed to be breaking up the pace of the ride a bit which caused me some cramping issues. I was really glad to have done the ride again though - the supporters on the roadside really make it and the finish into The Mall is amazing. I got a huge cheer at the finish - or maybe that was for Martin Johnson who was a few places ahead of me - either way I'll take it!
    Finally thanks again to Stef for organising - its much appreciated.

• Yes cheers Stef for organising shame you didn't sort the weather :)

As Andrew said, the start was disorganised with the security holding everyone back from the start pens, almost until pen A closing time not leaving much time to make it to the start.

As usual the pace through London was pretty high Steve and I had a decent group which meant it was pretty easy going. I lost contact with the bunch as my rubbish saddle bag came loose. I teamed up with a lady from Stevenage cc along the embankment then lost her as i tagged on to the Peckham train. I stayed in their bunch until Richmond Park where one of their guys hit the deck on the left hander turning towards kingston gate.

The chase to the bunch continued (as I vowed never to use the crappy Fizik saddlebag again) a 3-up TT with me, really strong Chiswick rider and another burned several matches and finally made the catch around Weybridge then the 3 of us sat in the wheels. I could Steve further up but was happy sitting in.

Then the rain really came down as we were in the Surrey hills, i pulled over to put get a jacket on, comfort break and admit defeat on the saddlebag and jammed in my pocket - that thing really sucks! I lost the bunch again :(

Under the cover of the trees the rain and wind didn't seem too bad, a poor choice of sunglasses made it feel like a night ride and add in them steaming up meant for a few interesting descents. I passed a few battered jerseys where some people had clearly been on the deck, it was really slippery. I was probably over cautious but decided today wasn't a day for a PB.

Once out of the darkness of Leith Hill, into Dorking where the supporters were in good voice, huddled under shop entrances and umbrellas, clutching hot coffees...i drifted off into a day dream about how nice a coffee would be right about now and then was on Box Hill. Having ridden that hill many times I had forgotten how smooth and easily going it is. The same couldn't be said for a mini-bus that was trying to take the inside line on the 'zag' promptly stalling and rolling backwards towards us...not too sure what they were thinking.

The run back into London came with slightly better weather the closer I got to the finish, tagging on to any faster wheels that came past to save a bit of energy for the little sucker punch in Wimbledon. Once up and over that its all downhill to the Mall so should have been pretty easy going but I was dying on my ass. I put it down to being cold, wet and eaten all my supplies. I toyed with the idea of stopping to refuel but feared being caught between the waves and riding solo again so pushed on. I tucked in behind a little group of 4 out of Kingston but it wasnt a great group one chap was half-wheeling the whole time and not sticking his nose in the wind. Another was sitting on and when he was on the front didnt keep a consistent pace. Fearing the half-wheeling buffoon I decided to push on and leave them.

Back into London i was really suffering...damn I should have stopped to refuel, and at the finish i got stuck into several cliff bars to muster the energy to mission across town back to the car. Heater and heated seats on for the drive home!

Cleaning my bike later that evening notice rear brake was sticking...would explain the struggle on the run back to London...plus the lack of food and being cold and wet.

Was it worth the 3am wake up, maybe not but its always nice to ride traffic free roads and experience bunch riding.