Welcome to the forum

Ashwell - Wells-Next-The-Sea CCA Classic, Fri 7 Sept 2018, 8.15am

Comments

• Sounds good to me . See you all at the Tuns 6:30am.
    rob
  • Morning! Can anybody share the route to upload to Garmin please? I've tried using last years but I can't get it to work. Thanks! Ryan
  • Hi Ryan and all

I've just edited the whole ride and ironed out a few blips from previous years. Hopefully this link will give you a file that works. If not: let me know...

Ashwell-Wells-King's Lynn
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28509468
  • Thanks Martin, that worked for me! See you Friday!
  • It's the blips that make it fun!
    Have you included the river we went through last year?
  • Blips, does riding it on a fixie fall into that category John ? Looking forward to it with 22 gears.
  • enjoy it guys. Won't be making it this year . Jeremy and I are cycling to Winlatter in Cumbria to watch the ToB. Say ***** to that dreaded corner of mine please.
  • Geoff, they've banked that corner now as the local council had been tipped off you would be riding with us again this year.
  • Haha Paul. Nice one.
  • Wells riders... An actual photo of the actual booty that awaits us on the way at Narborough. Just add soft drinks, and freshly-baked especially for us, several big Crumps Pork Pies to share. It's good we are supporting Ashwell businesses.

• Excellent, but what’s everyone else drinking?
  • First dibs on the Tart!
  • edited September 2018
    ...and relief i am not carrying....

a) 6 bottle of Leffe under my cross bar
    b) 2.5 litres of red wine in my backpack!

...Thanks Mrs Allen!
  • edited September 2018
    Edit sorry won't be around. Got to do something in baldock at 9am
  • Apologies but unfortunately I can’t make this now - I hope you all have a good ride,
  • edited September 2018
    That's a shame John. Maybe the 3 Cafes Classic in March then?

All, please note...

New meet up point in the morning...

>>> Rhubarb & Mustard <<<

They'll be opening for coffee especially for us from 7.45am. See you there. It's just 30 seconds away from the Three Tuns, opposite, going up the high street. Show your appreciation and support Ashwell business with a black americano pep before the ride. Thanks to Dan H for arranging this.

The forecast seems pretty definite now. Dry. Quite fresh in the morning. Warm enough later in the day, but not hot. Strong crosswind/tailwind to Wells. Block headwind most of the way from Wells to King's Lynn.

I'm trying to see about a few sandwiches and chips at The Fenman pub in King's Lynn for those loitering for a train back. Nothing big or fancy - but a step up from a million bags of crisps. I'll update the forum about that when I know.

I'll be bringing a spare tyre if need be (GP4000s). One year we needed it. Make sure your bike is properly roadworthy and I'd avoid any last minute changes to your bike with no chance to roadtest things. There's a large barren section of Norfolk we go through with very little around in terms of assistance, if required.

We set off 8.15am.
  • A bit late to add to the list but count me in. Jim
  • I'm in - this looks amazing, thank you to everyone who's been working hard to put this together.
  • edited September 2018
    Good to have Jim and Jenny on board. MC... Damn!

Some good news:

The Fenman pub in King's Lynn are going to provide us with a little spread of butties, sausage rolls and an assortment of maize-based snacks for anyone who wants to refuel before the train back. They welcome us back again.

Their pub garden is out-of-action, but their yard can be used to store bikes for a while. Consider bringing/sharing a bike lock. There is one of those good storage facilities in the rail station opposite too.

https://goo.gl/maps/zaYLFKpvPrA2

I think that's it. See you in Rhubarb & Mustard, around 7.45am. We set off 8.15am.
  • I'll put another spare tyre and a track pump and tools etc in the car - when it comes back from being re-sprayed in CCA colours of course.
  • Hi Nat, hopefully you can make it. How are your knees? I would have thought everyone would want their fair share of pulling the way to the seaside in the sunshine. Now that block headwind back to KL full of fish and chips may be a different story...
  • That's got to be worth jumping on your bike for......Yummm.
    See you all in the morning.
  • R&M for coffee sounds spot on. Pork Pies to die for, 90's buffet at the Fenman, even better...

See you in the morning!

MC... sack off work!
  • Home made cakes (by Helen) nearly done...
  • Hmmm, not sure if the teapot is going to be big enough...
  • Tim, it's a nice thought but if you can bring the nespresso machine and a generator, it would be appreciated!

I hope Martin has a special badge for Helen!
  • double whammy for me...caught a bug so no cycling in the hills for me....Looks like you are all going to have a fab ride....envious
    You've turned this into an occasion guys....proper CCA
  • Oh dear. I appear to be on a train at 1:30 pulling into Royston! Looking forward to it in 6 1/2 hours! I’ll attemp to be there in time...... Hopefully won’t have to catch up! Coz that may even more painful than turning up on time!

Big up to the 200 mile crew! We’ll wave at you on the way past when we have our feets’ up on the handle bars with a tailwind and you are on the return leg.
  • Tremendous day is all I can say! Top cycling with top people and amazing banter! Thanks to the Allen’s for an out of this world spread!! And thanks to Gary, Stef and Paul for assistance with my puncture, a real team effort! My name is down for 2019!