Welcome to the forum

Ashwell - Wells-Next-The-Sea CCA Classic, Fri 7 Sept 2018, 8.15am

13»

Comments

• Never disappoints this one.. best year ever for me... great coffee before, amazing lunchtime banquet in Narborough and a buffet which was perfect in Kings Lynn.

Specials thanks to Martin - Social Cycling Organiser Extraordinaire , Tim & Helen - Picnic banquet, Dan - Pre ride coffee, & everyone else for the social chat, wheels and beer.

Looks like Friday the 6th next year... Stef and I get a day to recover before the birthday celebrations!
  • Thanks to the boys for a good day out ,l wouldn,t of made the return trip on my own ,
    25 mile time trial today 68 minutes .
    rob
  • edited September 2018
    I'd like to add my own voice to the chorus of thanks to all on the ride who made this day such a special one: the coffee and conviviality as we met up in Ashwell; the regular blasts from Vince's bugle to urge us onwards; the sight of Ely Cathedral across the fenland; the speed of the group as we left Ely along 10-mile bank and battling those side winds; the taste of Crumps pork pies at Narborough and Helen's cakes with our tea and beer!; the smell of the sea as we descended through the limestone elegance of the Holkham Hall estate; and the exhilaration of the ride to Kings Lynn into the headwind with the pedal down. And to cap it all, the sight of Matt S in a tiara over beer and sandwiches in the Fenman pub whilst waiting for the train back! (Happy birthday Matt) Loved every minute. Thanks especially to Martin for all the organisation (coffee to start; sandwiches to finish) and for keeping us altogether and Tim and Helen for tea, pork pies and cakes at Narborough!
    Cheers!
  • Another brilliant day out, this annual ride just gets better and better.
    Thanks Martin for organising and Tim and Helen for the great lunch. Oh and Vince for the Bugle.... I think...

Whether you're riding the normal version - or the monster there-and-back version - this is a load of miles and a huge effort that I know everyone feels proud of achieving. It's great cycling to the sea.

But more than this, it's a really good social. I've ridden zero club-runs this year and there are other club scenes I miss out on, yet, this ride makes me feel really connected to the club at large: as you get all day to chat with others from all over the club. And their friends too. Many CCA members I don't normally meet up with.

There are many highlights on the roads. But, as many in the pub (the Fenman pub loves us: official), laughs on the train, and despite the crazy mileage - there was still enough watts left to give the bugle a blast by Will and co, in the Rose pub in Ashwell when we met up with them.

Great thanks noted above. Thanks all riders and helpers. I look forward to the ride in 2019.

Note: I'll post a date for the 2019 Spring CCA 3 Cafes Classic soon. Likely a Friday mid-March.

Cheers
  • All of this sounds great. Great write ups just like the previous years reports. Another reason not to be a teacher :-(