Welcome to the forum

Unofficial Tour of the Cornfields

Thought I might give the above a go this weekend as I couldn't do the actual event.

Anyone fancy joining a road rider with a relatively new mountain bike who hasn't got a clue about off road riding!

P.S. I do bounce into thorn bushes exceptionally well though ;-)

Think its about 100K, but could be adapted to suit I guess.

Comments

• Would love to but had a bit of a bounce myself last week on the CX bike and fractured my wrist. Might have a spin tomorrow and see if it hurts still then decide. Really want to do this route though!
  • edited October 2018
    Steve, we are right in the middle of CX season so unfortunately this doesn't work for me. Once the season is over I expect there will be a few off-road club rides so hopefully see you on one of those unless you want to bring your new bike up to Mistley this weekend and get a 40min workout. That will be a lot more fun that the Cornfields.
  • Saturday or Sunday Steve?

I'd been thinking about doing something similar, so *may* be able to join you...
  • Sorry to hear that Will, hope it gets better soon. Be good to see you if it feels OK

Cheers Dan, off season for me so just looking to have some fun. Good luck at the weekend.

I’m easy Andy. Plan on riding Saturday and Sunday, 1x road 1x off road. Not fussed which day I do either as weather looks decent both days.
  • Saturday road for me as weather looks ok. Will defo join u in the future though.

*Top Tip from Tim re: tyres.... if u havent already changed them from the originals that wd have come with ur bike, might be wise to.... i suffered about 6 punctures with Phil with my then new MTB a while back - I'm sure he will recall !! Haha
  • I will be out tomorrow as supposed to have a cross race on Sunday but will be probably coughing. MTB sounds fun. See you at the Tuns.
  • edited October 2018
    Sat and Sun both good by me. 9.00 start? I'd be happy to start earlier if it suits others. It took me around 4 hr when I did it on a cx bike, so maybe 4.5 hr by MTB?

Steve: Do you have the route? Does it still start from Wimpole Hall? If so, I'd drive over and park there.
  • Let’s go with a 9am start at Wimpole on Saturday. I’ll drive over and meet you there. Think parking is £2 for non NT members.

I downloaded the route from this site.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/10259158
  • I’ve got no idea how long it’ll take me to ride 60 miles off road on a mountain bike with big fat knobbly tyres, 4/5 hours sounds a reasonable.

Martin if you want a lift I can put your bike on my rack. Let me know and I’ll message you my address.
  • edited October 2018
    Done deal - see you there.

I agree with Tim btw. They tend to sell you MTBs with tyres that *look* like the real deal (Schwalbe this, Conti that...) but are massively cheaper, less grippy, less rugged. "Wire bead" or suchlike is the giveaway.

I use the Conti Race Sport tyres, 'cos I trust "black chili" from the road. I've heard some people say they're rubbish, so what do I know?! :-)
  • Cool see you both there.
  • edited October 2018
    Fastest time this year was 4h 16m on a cross bike. Slowest was 6h 58m. For comparison of people you may know Vince 4h36m Daniel 4h42m both on cross bikes. I'll leave it to them to tell you how hard they went. Have fun it's a great route.
  • 3 out in the warm sunshine. No crashes, no punctures, happy days. Nice coffee in Potton.