Welcome to the forum

MTB advice

Looking in to hardtail MTBs and wondered what's the main thing to look out for with respect to spec, frame and wheel size (eg 29 the way to go?). Probably end up being raced (by a 15plus year old)
cheers

Comments

• I bought a Boardman Pro 29er second hand off Facebook. It’s brilliant fun! Only £450 too...
  • I've got one of those too and have been using it for MSG. It does the job just fine. It's a popular choice on the start line. If the 15 plus year old would like to try it out let me know

you can choose 27.5 or 29 wheels. 27.5 is supposed to be more reactive and 29 better for rolling over bumps. Not sure if I can detect much between the 2 options

You can go one by or 2x. One by is less faff in a race and more than enough for MSG. If you spend more money than that needed for the Boardman you start loosing a bit of weight but it's marginal gains. Sam has a Cube which was a bit more money and a super wide range 1x12 set of gears. All good but will probably be expensive to replace when he hits a tree!

All in all the boardman is a good choice.
  • We have 2 of the 27.5 board mans. Work well and for the money reasonable spec. Got a reasonable deal at halfords with one of their flash sales and the BC discount