Welcome to the forum

CCA Xmas social, Friday 21st December 2018

edited November 2018 in General
Hi all

I hope you can make it for a festive ride and/or catch up at some point in the itinerary below... Cheers!
Martin 07977652247

Friday, 21st Dec 2018.

08.30am
Ride to the Olympic Velodrome

From Ashwell, Three Tuns. Approx 45 miles. Note: this ride will only go on if weather is permitting.

The following times are approx...

12.30pm
Loops, coffee and cake inside at the Olympic Velodrome and a ride around the circuit

Families: fit in a bit of carbs and/or cycling with mad Christmas shopping at nearby Westfield... Watch the action in the velodrome with a coffee and cake. Then take on a few fun loops of the outdoor road circuit for an hour. £4 each to get use of the circuit. Or £12 if you want to hire bike and helmet. Note: Stratford International train station, near LVVP, is just 6 mins via St Pancras station.

3.30pm
Olde Cheshire Cheese pub,
Fleet Street, London EC4
If riding from the Velodrome, we'll go along the scenic no-car Regents Canal and store our bikes safely, then head to one of London's most traditional pubs by Boris Bike.

We may settle here, or head to the Lowlander pub in Covent Garden for a Belgian ale.

Then a train from King's Cross to Letchworth;
5.24pm, arriving 6.14pm
5.54pm, arriving 6.30pm
6.24pm, arriving 7.00pm
6.54pm, arriving 7.31pm
7.12pm, arriving 7.40pm. Note: those wanting to bring their bikes back: this is the first possible train.

6.30pm-ish til late
Garden City Brewery, The Wynd, Letchworth.

I expect there'll be those wanting food at some point in the evening? I suggest such plans are made ad hoc. Last year, some went to the Shapla White curry house, opposite Trisports and near the station.

Merry Christmas.

Comments

• Hi all - just bringing the Club's Xmas social up to the top.

I'll suggest that this social replaces the 'usual' monthly "first Tuesday" gathering. I suspect there's enough socials coming up in people's diaries already.
  • Just to say that the ride to Olympic Velodrome is just the perfect start to the Christmas break.. An idyllic, festive, destination ride through South Herts and North / East London, followed by a scoot along the canal paths to Central London.

Will be there Martin with bells on (literally).
  • Hi all

Just bringing this note to the top. Lots of people have said they'll be coming along at some point in the day's itinerary. I think it will be nice and festive at the Garden City Brewery in Letchworth. I hope to see you there if not at some point beforehand.

Cheers!
  • Martin/ Matt do you have a route map for the ride to the velodrome? Probably can't go the whole way as need to be around in the afternoon but could maybe join for some and then get to Letchworth later.
    Cheers
    Emma
  • Ashwell to London and the velodrome:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18159336

Yep - come along for some of the way - nice idea.
  • A little over a week to for this super social. Hopefully weather is favourable for a festive ride to town.
  • I can't make the ride but will see you in the Garden City brewery later on.
    I'll be back Monday for a festive rollers sesh.......Martin any Bangin Xmas tunes lined up!!!
  • I've got a work pass! I'll be up for the ride to stratford, but will probably ride home again from there, then regroup later in Letchworth...
  • There's a good handful of people looking to ride to the Velodrome next Friday. The long range weather forecast isn't bad. So hopefully it's all go, Three Tuns 8.30am Fri 21st.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18159336

Dave: have fun riding back. An alternative idea: ride with us to King's Cross along the scenic Regents Canal towpath, all the way from the velodrome. Then hop on the train.

I look forward to seeing Paul and others at the Letchworth Garden City Brewery in the evening. As I've got a bike, I have to avoid no-bikes rush hour and won't be there til 7.40pm. So save us a space!

If you're meeting us in the afternoon in London, around 3.30pm, in the Olde Cheshire Cheese. It's likely we'll be deep down in one of the cellars and there's no phone signal. Just have a good look around for us.

If you've never been to the Olde Cheshire Cheese before - it's highly recommended - and many pub aficionados' favourite pub. It's a cosy, winter pub. So come along and check it out.

https://londonist.com/pubs/pubs/pubs/ye-olde-cheshire-cheese

Finally. I'm hoping to race a winter crit the next day over at Hillingdon, if anyone fancies clearing their head from the day before. Let me know if you're up for it.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/189263/Hillingdon-Winter-Series-2018-2019--08
  • will be there for some of the fun. velodrome maybe. cheshire cheese probably.
    thanks for organising martin and matt
  • Think I can do some or all of this. Are you staying in cycling gear all day or going to bring some civvies?
  • Normally bring civvies and change at t'pub
  • edited December 2018
    This Friday.... 21st. Celebrate the beginning of the days getting longer at the CCA Xmas Social. Join in for some or all of the day...

8.30am Three Tuns, Ashwell
    The ride to the London Velodrome. 42 miles. Club run easy pace. Ride all the way, or Emma is riding some of it and turning back. If riding all the way to London, pack a t-shirt, shorts n' flip-flops and a bike lock.

12.30pm approx
    See you inside the velodrome for coffee? And/or, for maybe half an hour or so lolling around on the road circuit. Note: road bikes and helmets are available for hire. Dave's riding back to Hertfordshire later FYI.

3.30pm approx
    See you at the Olde Cheshire Cheese, Fleet Street. We'll be somewhere in one of the cellars - so likely no phone signal (Whatsapp?). Seek us out. Or grab a good table if you're early. There's a chance we might shuffle off to the Lowlander in Covent Garden later.

Any time after 'work'...
    The Garden City Brewery in Letchworth. Maybe you can't take the day off? Then get over to the GCB after work. Anyone riding to London won't be there til 7.45pm as you can't put a bike on a train til after 7pm.

Curry?
    The Shapla is around the corner from the GCB, if anyone fancies.

See at the top of this thread for further details.

Cheers!

Martin 07977652247

• Looking forward to this! Dave and I will aim to meet those riding from Ashwell probably somewhere around Walkern. The forecast seems to be improving too. Now off to make my bike look suitably festive...
  • Sounds good. I'll only be riding if the weather looks better than currently forecast. If I'm riding ill be at the tuns in time for 8:30 and will likely turn back around Watton if anyone else wants to join. Things to do in the afternoon so will then regroup with you all at the LGCB @ 7ish for a few festive pints :-)
  • Typically starting to feel better but can't risk the ride. I'll be cycling dans Boris from Kings Cross to Lea Valley to hook up and then back into town along the canals. Will aim to be at Velodrome at 12. Have a good ride people. Really am gutted to miss the festive journey through south herts and into London.
  • Don't wait for me at the Tuns, I'm full of cold, don't fancy the forecast much. I'll catch up with you at the cheese probably, maybe the velodrome.
  • I'm in & I've convinced David! See you shortly
  • I might see you guys in the brewery later.