Welcome to the forum

Off Road Club Run - Sunday 11th August 9am

Off Road club run Sunday 11th August 9am from The Three Tuns pub. Out towards lovely Barton which is for a scenic 55 - 60km route with a couple of new sections than normal just to change things up. Expect this to take about 3hrs. Hopefully the weather will be kind.

Comments

• Stevie and I should be there.
  • See you all Sunday
  • Looking forward to this Ben!
  • edited August 2019
    Everyone ok with 70km? Should take around 3-4 hrs.

As Cross season is nearly upon us, i was thinking of adding a bit of intensity to this one but only on certain hills, well 9 of them. Go up these hills as hard as you can! They vary in steepness and length. We will meet at the top of each hill and re-group. The riding in between the hill efforts will be an easy pace so can recover for the next hill.

The route takes us out of Ashwell the usual way, down to the Greenway and follow to the Wilbury pub. Down the hill (not the usual one that goes over the train bridge though) and then into Ickleford. From there we pick up the Icknield Way to Pirton where we find our first hill effort, Pirton Hill. Once all at the top we go down through the woods, cross the road to our second hill, Deacon Hill. Meet at the top again for an easy decent but not as far as usual as we will take a left half way down to ascend our next hill, Bulk Hill. Loop back around, down the steep gravel hill and then on towards Barton. This part will be new to most. After a couple of fields we take a steep decent into Barton, cross a sports field then up the next big climb, Old Road Climb (this one is a leg burner!). Cross the road then on towards the Golf club where Golf Course Climb awaits. An easy decent takes us to Wards Hill which is short and punchy then through to Lilly. A bit road section takes to Lilly Hoo Lane for another hill climb which takes us back to Telegraph Hill for a fast decent to the road. Another new section will take us to Westmill Farm where we ride through Ickleford and take the climb up to letchworth Wilbury pub via the train bridge and we pick up the Greenway via Standalone Farm. The Greenway back to the A507 and up to Ashwell.

How does that sound? Im ok with just making it a complete easy ride though if people prefer as the last thing i want to do is put people off.
  • Both plans sound good. As you say if anybody wants the plan A route then for sure we will be happy to do that.
  • Spunds great. I have been trying to build Whernside this afternoon, so training is definately on my agenda. Regrouping is an important principle though!
  • I'll be there