Welcome to the forum

CC Ashwell, Xmas social, Friday 20th December 2019

Friday, 20th December 2019... Celebrate the almost beginning of the days getting longer at the CCA Xmas Social. Join in for some or all of the day...

8.30am Three Tuns, Ashwell
The ride to the London Velodrome. 42 miles. Club run easy pace. Ride all the way, or come along for a few winter miles. If riding all the way to London, pack a t-shirt, shorts n' flip-flops and a bike lock if going on to any of the social stuff later.

12.30pm approx
See you inside the velodrome for coffee and muffin? And/or, for maybe half an hour or so lolling around on the road circuit. Note: road bikes and helmets are available for hire.

3.30pm approx
See you at the Olde Cheshire Cheese, Fleet Street. We'll be somewhere in one of the cellars - so likely no phone signal (Whatsapp?). Seek us out. Or grab a good table if you're early. It was good last year in that little alcovey bit before the very basement level. If we tire of here, I think we should walk to a Smithfield Market boozer nearby. Those riding over from the velopark: we will use the traffic-free canal route to get there.

Any time after 'work'...
The Garden City Brewery in Letchworth. Maybe you can't take the day off? Then get over to the GCB after work. Anyone riding to London won't be there til 7.45pm as you can't put a bike on a train til after 7pm.

Curry?
The Shapla is around the corner from the GCB, if anyone fancies.

Cheers!

Martin 07977652247

Comments

• Yep I'm up for it :)
  • Favourite ride of the year to London. Something about it at start of festive period...
  • Brilliant, I love this ride! I'll probably aim to ride to London, then ride home again and join the festivities later on.
  • Happy to join the riders on the round trip 👍
  • Hope to be out for a beer and curry.
  • Just noticed Evans at KX provides free of charge secure bike parking inside the shop
  • I've booked the day off.
  • 1 week to go!
  • Hopefully this route is still good... https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18159336
  • Here's the route, updated to get us on the canal earlier on the way to Lea Valley, and then I've included the canal bit all the way to Islington for King's Cross.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31599566

See all riders 8.30am, Ashwell Three Tuns - Merry Christmas!
  • Thanks Martin
  • ill try to meet you guys in fleet street for a sneaky one on the way home.
  • Yes folks… we'll be in the Olde Cheshire Cheese on Fleet Street, from around 3.30pm. Come along after work or after Christmas shopping.

And we'll be in Letchworth's Garden City Brewery on The Wynd, definitely from around 8pm, but hopefully some people will pitch up there earlier, again after work or their festive day off.

See you soon
  • Cheers Martin,
    Currently, the weather is looking ropey for Friday.
  • Stuff and nonsense, Taff. 9 degrees... Tenko!

And it's improving all the time. It'll be great.
  • Yep, looking better, hopefully will blow thru early.
  • A bit damp maybe, but nice and mild. You'll be fine Taff, just make sure you wear both gilets!

I'm looking forward to the tailwind rocket ride home. FYI though - I'll be going as far as Dane End, but it's nice and simple back to Ashwell (about 15 miles) from there if anyone else was thinking of doing the round trip.
  • Lol thanks Jenny. I think I'll just have the jacket on. Are you both riding over to ashwell, or are we meeting you en route?
  • Getting wetter!! Are we being badasses?
  • Dave and I will meet the group coming from Ashwell somewhere along the road between Walkern and Watton.

And yes Matt - total Badasses.
  • Bonkers weather, one minute wind is from the west, then the east. Heavy rain now 'should' be past by 8... We'll see. Train to Ashwell for me, see u at 8:30 with me wellies on...
  • edited December 2019
    I'm ducking out. Last sat in the rain was enough for me. Weather on sat much better, so Sat club ride for me. Have a goodun!
  • Anyone meeting earlier in letchworth?
    If so I will head there early.
    Otherwise let me know when you will all he thete