Welcome to the forum

If we can't go to Belgium...

Sadly CCA won’t be heading to Belgium this September to tackle the devastating headwinds and fabled cobbled climbs of the heartland of cycling. That joy will have to wait until 2021.

But, I’m sure many of us still have the time booked off work, legs that have benefited from a great summer’s riding, and eye on the weather forecast for the end of next week. So I’m putting this out there as an idea. It is just an idea, and I’d be really keen to hear any other thoughts too.

On our recent bike-packing trip Dave and I stayed at Wensum Valley golf club, just to the west of Norwich. We turned up on dusty bikes, not quite sure what to expect. We were very well looked after and the room was comfortable. There was a well-stocked bar with plenty of outside seating; we had a three course dinner in the on-site restaurant (decent sized portions) and a cooked breakfast before heading on our way the next morning. Rooms are £95 B&B, or £140 dinner, B&B (based on two sharing). They’re currently looking into options for bike storage - at the very least they’ve got a number of bike hoops in a discreet area which we could lock them too (it all felt nice and safe, I’m sure they’d be fine). https://www.wensumvalleyhotel.co.uk/

Wensum Valley has availability for Friday 18th September. So how about we string together a couple of 100 mile days on the Friday and Saturday, rolling through the autumnal Suffolk and Norfolk countryside?

What do you think? Post here if you think this idea could work and we can look at the details, or I’m sure we'd all be happy to hear any other ideas.

Comments

• Hi Jenny,

Looks nice, but I think I my preference is for some days rides.
  • edited September 2020
    there is a sportive in Norwich on the 20th :-) as well as one in Kent on Sunday and Suffolk on the 4th... last few for the year that are local'ish
  • Hi Jenny, It sounds good but Taff and I are off to the lumps of Devon now with family.
  • Ok, great. It sounds like people have some good stuff planned. And probably best, what with the increasing restrictions from next week, that we keep things low key and in small groups. Happy riding everyone!
  • I was thinking the same thing Jenny. Really like your idea but my plans have changed since the cancellation and not looking to stay away overnight. And smaller groups probably sensible too with upcoming changes.
    If people continue to post ride ideas here then everyone can pick and choose.
    Geoff is still happy to host CCA riders on his farm if anyone does fancy riding in Yorkshire. Contact him direct.

Meanwhile keep dreaming of Belgium 2021!
  • obviously we have to be sensible now with covid but I am off on Friday and more than up for a decent ride with the Belgians. worst case its a trip out towards the Chilterns = or we ride the Chiltern 100 or 3 cafes. End up for a beer somewhere safe eg Guilden Tuns outside (maybe Letchworth brewery is a bit too compact). But definitely we need to rock and roll.
    As with Wells we need to stick to groups of six.
    So for a decent ride on Friday and post ride drink:
    Name below:

rider 1Vincent
    Rider 2
  • edited September 2020
    Hey Vincenzo

I can’t do Friday but would be up for a large one Saturday!!

Anybody else? 3cafes? Geoff Denny route? Chilterns? 8am start??
  • 3Cafes would be a lot of work (more effort than Wells) but I'd be ok with either GD100 or 3Cafes :awesome:
  • Won’t be out Saturday or Sunday have cross and MTB races, but am off Friday so don’t a ride out.
  • Ok. Not many takers. I am racing on Saturday Phil. But hope you get a good ride.
    Perhaps my plan for a long ride before a race is not ideal anyway. Will see what rides are posted for Sunday. If anyone is riding tomorrow post on forum and maybe a shorter spin will be achievable.
  • Gentle spin to saffron walden?
  • Sounds good, what time?
  • Looks like it's just you + me Toma...for the GD100....

....rather than pedalling over to ashwell to then turn round and pedal back the same way, i'll meet you on the green in Broom at 8am outside the Cock PH.
  • It looks like you will have good weather on Sunday. Have great ride.
  • We’re riding SATURDAY not Sunday....
  • See you there Phil
  • toma and me out for a GD100 (slightly off piste starting in broom) but close enough to the "official" route...we also had company with my new companion for the ride "BB Clunk"....Grrr. Stopped off at Days in Buntingford pour le baguette avec le Coke...tres bon....and a beer in the 3 horseshoes in hinxworth on the way home.....cheers Toma...garmin recorded 111m avg 17.5 with 4506 ft of climbing... and home in time to watch the contenders in the TDF TT...OMG...Spot on Saturday