Welcome to the forum

G-Ride Spring Classic - B/H Monday 31st May

edited May 2021 in General
With a bit of luck and a following wind, this year's G-Ride will be on Sunday 23rd May.

The G-Ride is a bit like todays Strade Bianchi but without the Tuscan weather, scenery or towns and on brown roads rather than white. Otherwise just the same! A mixture of the lanes of North Herts with some off-road gravelly tracks and concrete farm lanes. All can be done on a road bike with 28mm training tyres - it's the proper way to do it. The route is about 90 miles but might have a bit extra this year and incorporate the new Wimpole Cycling loop.

It's likely to be in groups of 6, starting out from our Grass Track at Smallgains Lane at 8.30am. I will organise a mid ride picnic stop as cafes are unlikely to be open. I do need volunteer group leaders equipped with GPS who have done the ride before and therefore vaguely know the route.

Comments

• Sorry, I have had to change the date to the 16th May due to a date clash.
  • I need riders to start signing up for this so I can organise group leaders and the refreshment stop. Sign up below.

So far
    Ben R
    Daniel D
  • Ben R
    Daniel D
    Richard L
    Simon R (The famous French one)
    Vincent of St. Neots
  • I'm up for it, hopefully I'm in better shape than last year :D
  • Sorry all, I am going to have to postpone the G-Ride. I've lost both my ride leaders plus the clash with the MSG Race is not good.

I will try and sort out another date.
  • edited May 2021
    New date on Monday 31st May. sign up again please so I know how what lunch stop is needed, cafe or picnic.

Ben R
    Geoff E
    Thomas
    Vincent P
    Alistair
    Daniel D
    Theo D
    Richard L

First half
    Archie
    James D
    Mark W

Possible
    Ray
  • Yep i'm up for it
  • Excellent.
  • Hoping to join you for the first bit
  • Hi Mark, I may well be in the area that weekend, would it be ok to join this ride?
  • Yes, of course Andrew.
  • Change of plan as it looks like they'll be bringing 2nd vaccination forward so I will not be in the area after all. Hopefully can get down for another club ride later in the summer
  • G-Ride Sections 2021

Total route distance is 95 miles including the new Cycling/Walking trail at Wimpole. This will be very neutralised as it's likely to be busy.

1. ** Ashwell Street 0.6 km
    2. * Greenway (Norton Bury Lane) 1.5 km
    3. * Greenway (Baldock) 3 km
    4. ** Greenway (Willian) 2.5 km
    5. *** Tranchee de Ardeley 2 km
    6. * Beggarmans Lane 1 km
    7. *** Whitehill 1.1 km
    8. * Lowgate Lane 0.9 km
    9. * Youngsbury 2 km
    10. * Cold Christmas 1.2 km
    11. ** Bakers End 2 km
    12. * Latchford 0.8 km
    13. *** Dassells Berg 1.1 km
    14. ** Beauchamps 3 km
    15. ** Chrishall Common 1.6 km
    16. * Park Wood 1.1 km
    17. ** Wimpole Trail 6.5 km
    18. *** Church Lane 5.5 km
    19. * St Johns Church 2.5 km
    20. ** Cockayne Hatley 2.7 km
    21. ** Dunton Descent 3 km
    22. * Smallgains Lane 0.2 km
  • Ben R
    Geoff E
    Thomas
    Vincent P
    Alistair
    Daniel D
    Theo D
    Richard L

First half
    Archie
    James D
    Mark W

Possible
    Ray
    Mark and Fletcher Adams (guests)
  • Hi Mark, any space for a late entry please? Thanks, Dave.
  • Yes of course Dave.
  • Hi Mark, I would also like to join you if that's ok, Cheers, Toma
  • edited May 2021
    Yes, that's fine Toma.

We will start from our Grass Track field, so you can park there. We are going to have a picnic lunch at Puckeridge. It looks like both the Something Lovely team rooms (Puckeridge) and the Sunflower cafe at Hare Street have both closed. Bring your own lunch and Stevie will meet us at Puckeridge. There are a couple of benches there and we will bring a couple of rugs. If anyone has an extra rug or two please bring it.

Not many options for a tea stop later on but the Wimpole Stables cafe is a possible (slight detour).

We will probably start in two groups so anyone who wants to push on a bit quicker to the lunch stop can. It also means less hanging around for any punctures with smaller groups.
  • edited May 2021
    Geoff E
    Thomas
    Vincent P
    Alistair
    Daniel D
    Theo D
    Richard L
    Toma
    Dave W

First half
    Archie
    James D
    MC
    Mark W
    old Dave

Possible
    Ray
  • If anyone wants the GPX file for the route then let me know and I'll email it to you.
  • I'll be joining for the first half if that's ok.
  • Ok Dave.
  • Apologies for late notice.
    Thomas won’t be there for tomorrow’s ride.
    Struggling to get on top of his hay fever which has kicked in last few days. Added to being a grumpier than normal teenager
    Enjoy your ride everyone
  • Apologises I can't attend tomorrow, shame as I was looking forward to it.
  • G-Riders, don't forget some lunch tomorrow. We probably won't make it back to Ashwell afterwards so bring it in a plastic bag rather than something you will want back that day. We will bring plenty of water to fill bottles. There is also the shop in Puckeridge which might be open.
  • Morning Mark.
    Unfortunately the C-19 jab received on Saturday has left me ruined.
    The G Ride was the focus of the BH so am gutted.
    Back to bed. Vincent