Welcome to the forum

HILLINGDON SPRINTFEST

edited January 2011 in General
Am looking for three more Likely Lads for Sunday Feb 20th- you dont have to be members...booking Wed 19th Jan...

Dates: Sunday Feb 20th; Sunday March 13th. Venue: Hillingdon cycle circuit. Time 1.00pm (signing on from 12.30 pm, finishing 3.00 - 4 pm depending on numbers and weather.

Club teams of four will make for the best session.. so rustle up three clubmates and come as a group. But don't worry if you can't persuade them or don't have any. There is room for all combinations and we should be able to allocate you other riders.

There will be a series of training races including:

Two lap races with each sprinter getting a lead out train of three riders.

One lap races with each sprinter getting a single lead out rider.

Head to head sprints between groups of four riders.. with promotion and demotion to keep everyone on their toes,

Skills exercises: Throwing your bike at the line; advance balance and co-ordination -- riding shoulder to shoulder with another rider.

Cost: £13 in advance for members of LVRC

Comments

• Hi Chris
    I am new to the club and returning to cycling after 18 months off the bike due to an accident. I have been back training for a couple of weeks and hoping to race this year so this sounds like quite a good day so would definately be interested. hoping to race at hillingdon and mk bowl this year so I think this would be really useful. Just need to book it off work but that shouldn't be an issue.
    Hopefully by feb 20th I should have some speed back in the legs!
    Let me know if your still interested in having me on board.
    Cheers!
    Where did you get the info from?
  • hi Dave

good stuff. you are defo in!

should be good

hopefully see you on sat or sun ride to chat about it

its on LVRC site
  • unfortunately I won't be out on a sat or sun ride till feb sometime as I work a lot of weekends, I am hoping to get out next wednesday and get down to say hi at the next pub night, so might see you then.
  • Scouse
    I am interested!
    Will be out on Sunday so will talk to you about it then.
    Greg
  • edited January 2011
    davec- see you wed

greg- good lad!

should be interesting eh
  • If by interesting, you mean painful and humiliating, then yes, yes it will :P
    Seriously, sounds like fun!
  • I agree Greg! Pain and realisation that more training is needed!
    I had a look at the LVRC website, how do we enter? there is an email but not details on how to enter in advance. Judging by the info it seems it will be booked up in advance.
    Chris I assume you are going to book yours on the 19th jan? Not sure if we have to do it together or just mention it is part of the ashwell. ill be out on Wednesday for the club run but if you are going to enter before just give us a shout.
  • Scouse, is this an LVRC road race training day? If it is then get as many as you can on board. You will learn more in a few hours than a whole summer of CCA club runs!!
    Sounds like a great idea for most of our riders. Is it only open to vets or to all?

TD
  • Agree Tim....good shout Chris.

As an aside Guys...remember we have 6 coaches in the club ..two at level 3 plus two more about to come on board...one of them a recent professional rider ,..add to this Rob Sharman who was also a rated pro. and we have plenty of real skill in the club.

If you want we can hire Hog-Hill or Hillingdon for a CCA club day and the coaches will be happy to be there and set out a programme of different skills sessions for all these things....Just let us know and we'll take it from there.....
  • Thanks for support Tim and Geoff

it is LVRC event but spoke to the organiser and all welcome

Greg, Davec and any others.... if you give me a defo by Sun 16th he can pretty much guarantee us an entry

Geoff we need to tap into our wealth of talented coaches- was not aware of that!
  • glad to help.....if you all enjoy the LVRC event then perhaps the club would like to sort something
  • Sounds good about the club event too. I assume that the sessions are aimed at reducing crashes in the last 1km.
    I'll book leave now, should know for defo tomorrow. I can't forsee a problem. Thanks
  • think that must be the aim Dave....a very good idea.
    was talking to the coaches last time in Manchester velodrome and the current British Cycling buzz is that there has to be a new introductory structure to racing. Too many fit riders are automatically entering cat 4 races and creating mayhem. They are dangerous as they haven't had any coaching as to track discipline and awareness of others plus they have little concept of holding their line and bunch riding etiquette. All the skills and disciplines we instill in our young riders through the go-ride programme. Have fun.
  • Hi Chris just to let you know I am all good for feb 20th. Just let me know what you need off me. Do you need a race licence as mine is yet to come through.
    Cheers
  • edited February 2011
    Hi Chris

Are we entered for the 20th? Just wanted to make sure our names were down! Just had a week off the bike cos of the flu so should be interesting! Lol
    Ta
  • hi dave

yes we are a defo. hope you feeling better

looking forward to it mate!
  • mark c info at top of this post!

would make us gang of 4

you, davec, greg(and his new steed!!), me

you and dave could share. and me and greg
  • nice on Mark!

you out for spin sat?
  • Greg, Mark and Dave C, all ok for Sunday? let me know asap so i can confirm Hillingdon
  • good luck all...re. my comment earlier...last Sat. at Hillingdon crash in cat3/4 race just after finish line...some newbie slammed brakes and cut across instead of running through for a wind down lap...he was o.k. but bloke he crashed broke arm and collar bone...nice one eh!!
  • Yep all good Scouse.
  • All good mate.
  • woop!

am planning to pick up Greg about 10 and get down there for a spin and sign on 12.30 for one o'clock start

Mark, can you liaise with davec for lifts por favor? dont think 4 athletes (ha!) and bikes will do one car

we are a 4 man team.

still virused out, but will be going for it!

should be good.

INNITTTT!
  • Is everyone wearing ashwell cc shirts cos I don't have one yet!

Mark do you want to drive or vice versa. I only have a golf so not 100% sure of two bikes. But I am willing to give it a go. I live in Biggleswade.
    Happy to share petrol.
  • Sorry Dave, ashwell jersey is the only decent one I own :(
  • Dave...I've one that should fit you..can someone pick it up from my house 37 silver street tonight...don't ruin it...or please replace if you do...ring 01462 742837

cheers
  • edited February 2011
    nice one Mark. ta Geoff.

Ashwell Blue it is then although its primarily a trainin sesh i think.

bringing my virus too. grrrr
  • many thanks geoff I will pop around tomorrow if thats ok, are you around in the afternoon? Ref our phone conversation yesterday today, I have booked leave and should be able to find out tomorrow (hopefully!) I will keep the jersey spick and span!

Thanks Mark I can meet you at letchworth no problems, my mobile is 07525415041
    Getting bad soonish is also good for me too.

Looking forward to a good day! I agree Scouse all in ashwell colours will look better

Cheers all.
  • should be in pm Dave.....best ring first to check
  • Brilliant!!

Tim was so right about the whole experience being so worthwhile

Plenty of laps, and a great track to hone your bike skills, and boost your confidence on a tight circuit to practise lead-outs, being lead out and just going full out!!

Greg was stoked, Mark was lookin sharp and Davec was smooooth!

If you get the chance go on SUNDAY 13TH MARCH!!

Its says LVRC members, but if you let me know, I can use my membership number

Open to all, there was a mix of adult and youth, old and young!

Putting our newly fine-tuned skills to the test The Ashwell 4 thought we got 1st and 2nd on the Race-off- but found that, having set off a far way back under the 'handicap' system, we found we had lost to a brilliant escape by a member of the fairer sex!