Welcome to the forum

Beds Road CC Reliability Rides: Sundays 13th and 27th Feb

2»

Comments

• Hi guys, if I can negotiate a pass, I'll join in as well

Cheers
    Lee
  • I plan on riding too, see you all there!
  • See you on the front Jez! (you not me!)
  • Planning to ride over to the start, set off about 08:15 - only 16.5m from Ashwell.
  • Riding over there... sounds like a plan. See you at mine then at 8.15. Anyone else fancy riding over?
  • Excellent - see you at 8:15, fueled and ready to go.
  • Martin- am out tomo. did sat run and the virus is winning. wiped out.

gutted aint the word. was so up for it

you boys ride well.
  • Take it easy Chris: maybe try the 70 mile one in a fortnight.

Got a space in the car then. Vince?
  • Got my pass through also so I will see you all there for 9.45am start.
    if anyone needs a lift i will be leaving steeple morden around 8.30am
    current phone number 01763853256.
    will be taking it steady and know from last years longer ride that it starts like a race.
    regards,

Vincent
  • I've had a change of plan - so another cycling pass tomorrow, see ye at Cardington in morn, hope to hang in with the Ashwell train for a while, anyone need a lift give a call 07881-826068, Declan
  • ooh,
    Martin sounds good. Will be at yours by 8am.
    Declan, cheers for the open invite but sorted for car pool. See you at the start line.

Regards,

Vincent
  • wishing I could be there...not well enough to take the pace yet...have a good one guys...looks like the blue train is at it again
  • congrats on a very good turn out, good to see a few familiar faces at the end. Turned out to be more of a wearing down process as the guy from luton was the only one with the legs on the climbs and he couldnt get away on his own :)
  • An eventful, but enjoyable morning for me in the Bedfordshire countryside!!

Having arrived in good time for a 9:45 start of the 59mile ride; the maps received at sign on clearly indicated a start time of 10:00am for the 59 mile so I opted for a short ride to keep warn and ease the legs from Saturdays hill climbing. On my return to sign-on at 9:50 the ride had departed already at the earlier 9:45 time. Not being a stranger to being dropped from the bunch, but usually have to suffer a bit first !! - I considered the options, so checked said map again and dismantled the bike and headed cross country in the car hoping to pick up the ride en route; stopped near Blunham, parked in a pub car park and could see the bunch heading towards the bridge – bike put together in quick time lept out on the road and jumped on to the back of the front bunch, gloves in month, helmet under arm !!. It was moving fast and then turned right out on the open road towards Roxton and the crosswinds were cutting the front of the bunch to bits, guys leaving wheels go all around, the bunch split and I was spat out – trying to hang on a while close to the back of bunch we turned left into more sheltered roads, I worked my way back up to the middle of the front bunch, - relieved I was back in a bike ride after my error at the start and great to be riding along side others in the blue, - then the bunch split again ,not by the pace or cross wind but by a horse rearing up in the road. That was it for me; no hope of recovery, it was all strung out along the road and when junctions came along it was a case of the blind leading the blind !! We had no idea whether it was right, left or straight ahead (I dare not check the map I got a sign-on, it was wrong before !!) - lost but not subdued I enjoyed the ride in the groupetto that was forming, I hung in behind a couple of local Bed’s ironmen who were more capable than me of pushing thu the wind, and seemed to have a good sense of direction but when they opted to take the 44mile left turn I pondered for about a fraction of a second and turned left too !! – on the shorter route back we met several groups riding in the opposite direction heading for the 59 mile ride, not 100% but thought I saw Robbie in one group – who was actually lost ?, we’ll never know !! (sorry Robbie, I followed the Bed’s lads, they seemed to know the route back to Cardington !!) – we made it back nice and easy – then to find the car !!
    Great Day, looking forward to the next outing, - Declan
  • I elbowed a guy onto the grass when the horse started kicking out, there was nowhere to go! With so many riders hiding in the pack was easy for the first half! I moved closer to the front after that when gaps were appearing, there were a couple of stiff climbs that thinned the numbers. I did consider putting the hammer down for the final 5 miles but was worried about blowing and getting dropped, better to finish in the breakaway....Its a shame there werent a few beds roads riders at the front, they get 70 turn out for club 10's, it seems they've had some riders split and form another club?
  • A good day out. I received a note of thanks from Beds Road CC. There were 110 riders out. And anyone who signed on yesterday can ride the next one on the 27th for free. Details at the top of this discussion. Yes: I understand Beds Road have had issues. Pity. We could have done with more knowing the way.

I had a testing time in the middle of a long line. I got caught out just the wrong side of Buckaroo - so had to work hard to get back on the front group with a couple of other riders. Having got there, I didn't have the power to hang on for long at the back and there was no room at the inn with the group as wide as the road. At that point averaging over 20mph after 25 miles, with plenty of 26-28mph stretches. Great interval training! Fell back with Vince and Theo for a bit and then went ahead with a rider with a Garmin. Praise the Lord for GPS. Together we worked together for 25 miles, staying on course all the way. We caught up with no one and just one rider went past us. Odd... I think maybe everyone was equalized by the wind. Like Mark - I didn't find time to eat and la bonque kicked in the last few miles. Unlike Mark - I drank nearly two bottles. 59 miles @ 18.1mph. 3h 13m.

Great to see so many CCA riders out and share a few tales over free tea, cake, soup in the freshly painted club house. It should be noted - Phil Adams 'won it' - by virtue of taking the sprint at the Cardington village sign. Recommended.
  • Its made my legs ache just reading about this.... I thought a reliability ride was a gentle affair to test your base fitness after the winter!
  • edited February 2011
    bang on James..people seemed to enjoy it, but the concept of reliability rides has altered with an influx of new riders....it is now seen as another type of race...sad really as it used to be a reasonably tough test of very early season fitness.....up side is far more people involved in cycling ...downside is that they can spoil the event for a lot by ripping it apart...there is nothing stopping groups joining together to ride at a pace and this seems to have been what happened.....Audax is now the only graduated paced distance ride and seems to be losing out as it is so strictly administered that people get put off by having to wait at check points if they arrive too quickly....they don't consider that the overall time might be acceptable...so all in all this is the way things seem to be moving and judging by the comments of those who took part was a highly enjoyable event..if somewhat daunting to those less fit. Perhaps the organisers could be clearer about start times and the directions appear to have given trouble.
    as to split in beds. it seems there is a more pushy progressive group and a more conservative bunch...a pity they couldn't keep it all together and just arrange for different events to accomodate all....perhaps Martin Hall or someone else with more knowledge can tell us how this affected this event.
  • A reminder that this Sunday is Beds Road CC second Reliability Ride. Don't be put off if you think it's all fast and furious - there were plenty of people in groups at a steadier pace, riding for their own aims. Something for everyone. I might be able to make it. Not likely though.

A note from them here following the first ride;

Thanks to everyone who turned up to ride today, we had 110 riders in the end a fantastic turn out in blustery conditions, although the threatened rain failed to materialise.

Just a reminder that we'll have our second reliability ride on 27th February, with 70 and 51 mile route options. Please could you let your members know?

Ride 2, 27th Feb:
    Long route - 70 miles starting at 9.15am - Route map: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Reliability-Ride-70-mile (subject to very slight change due to opening of new A421 dual carriageway)
    Short route - 51 miles starting at 9.30am - Route map: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Reliability-Ride-51-miles (subject to very slight change due to opening of new A421 dual carriageway)

The ride sets off from our club house in Cardington.

We've decided to allow anyone who turned up and rode today's ride to have free entry to the second ride.

We look forward to seeing you in two weeks time.

Kind Regards,

Paul Holmes
    BRCC Communications Secretary

E-mail: comms@bedsroad.org
    Follow us on Twittter: @BedsRoadCC
    Tel: 07773 321138
  • Anyone going over to this tomorrow? i am going to give it a go, weather looks ok. see you there?

TD
  • A much tougher ride than the last one, this has always been a semi race in the 20 odd years i've been doing it. Nobody really attacks but the fit guys give it welly in the last hour, everyone knows what to expect and you dont have to work if you dont want to/cant. At least two ashwell lads were prominant at the front near the end, some Corley lads were dishing it out but couldnt shake me :)
  • Kind of fun. All fairly sensible riding for the most part. I kept out of trouble near the front and the bunch got smaller as the ride went on. At about 55 it got a bit hot for me and i went out the back leaving about 7 up front including Trahern and Andre. i did bit and bit with a Beds road chap through the grim weather for the last part ending up with 19.3 for the 71 miles. i think the remaining 7 split again and Andre was 1 of 3 first back.
    Shame about the weather but a good ride. Everyone seemed to behave themselves with little incident.
  • I rolled into Cardington 4th man, having been dropped by the front 3 on a drag into Willington. I was the first man to be sporting mudguards & Aluminium frame though. Very wet & a bit cold at the end. 71miles in 3hrs 31mins Avg 19.7 on my speedo.
    Just jumped into my car & went home to a nice hot bath --aaahhh lovely, roast chicken lunch, a nice glass of red wine & a crafty doze in front of the rugby, whilst listening to the rain on the window. Getting old with dignity.

I saw Mark & Stevie at the start, did you guys get around ok?
  • Yes thanks we were fine. The pace at the start was way to quick for Stevie so we formed an autobus of 6 riders that I towed round. I was glad we decided to take the 51 mile option when the rain came down and froze us. Eventually we got back to the hall not long before you in the company of Rocky from BRCC.

Mark.
  • wish I'd taken the car, when I got home after 93 miles I was so cold my mrs had to get my gloves and shoes off. Well done traineronabike for getting back on at gt barford, we did through and off up the mainroad to bedford and the guy in white was suffering :)