Welcome to the forum

17th Evening TT - 16th August - A "just for fun" partial circuit 8 miler to avoid chippings

edited August 2023 in Time Trial
Hi All,

Although this is not - yet - an absolute cancellation, I need to warn you that we may not be able to run a TT because of roadworks. The roadworks are scheduled for Monday 14th August to Wednesday 16th scheduled to end at 3.30 pm. There will be a full road closure with diversions affecting the stretch of the Tadlow Road including the crossroad at Wrestlingworth. So, the road *should* be open for race time, but if they lay down chippings, cornering on the stuff will be unsafe, so we won’t be able to run the competition course.

Depending on the diversion signage on the approach to Tadlow, we *may* be able to run a shortened - non-competition - version of the circuit avoiding Wrestlingworth crossroads. If you’d still be interested in something like that - rather than a full cancellation - please post here.

Comments

• would be interested in a shortened course
  • Same here - up for getting something new/ different
  • And me, whatever we arrange suits me, thanks @Nunnster
  • Hi All,

OK, we can run a TT tomorrow, but not on the competition course.

The competition course has been surface chipped from the start at Wrestlingworth all the way to the Beds-Cambs border, which is about 200 yards short of the small industrial estate at the top of Tadlow Hill. The chippings are lying in drifts in the gutter and there's a long central line of them between the vehicles' wheels. Too dangerous to corner on and cars overtaking may well flick the central piles of chippings up at riders.

OK, so here is what we'll do. We'll run a version of the F14x10 circuit - previously known as the footdown circuit. Ordinarily this starts just outside Guilden Morden and heads back into GM, then left at New Road etc. However, for the purposes of our race, we'll start up at the 25 TT course start at the crest of the hill just before the Wrestlingworth crossroads - very close to this year's 10TT competition course finish. The course will follow the circuit - so left at the Toll Bar etc. - but finish at the top of Tadlow Hill at the entrance to the industrial estate. It's about 8 miles.

Return to HQ will be via the crossroads - watching what you're doing and taking care of the chippings; safe enough to ride over on the base bar/brake hoods when not riding eyeballs out!

We ran a similar course once a couple of years back and I think there may still be a Strava segment on Tadlow Hill that was put in for that event. So a "prize" = bragging rights - for the Queen and King of the Segment at tomorrow's race!

Let me know if you have any questions. Cheers!
  • Coireall would like to have a go this week (he's 13), is that OK and do I need to fill in a consent form? I'll probably also give it a try on my road bike.
  • Hi Simon, A consent form is needed please. We have one for you to sign if you don’t.