Welcome to the forum

Ashwell-Wells Classic, Friday 8th Sept 2023

2»

Comments

• Martin, I have booked the day off so can you please put my name down please.
  • Martin,

Can you please add:
    Tania Wicklow.
    Graham McKenzie.

Thank you.
  • Martin L
    Paul S
    Dan Hall
    Toma
    Matt Scales
    Chris L
    Taff
    Simon Defo
    JT
    Julien
    Stephen Douglas (GF)
    Trevor Lunnon
    Claire Duguid
    Caroline Baker
    Lee Cooke
    Robert B
    Matt Palmer
    Robert Howard
    Graham A
    Martin H
    Tania W
    Graham McK
  • Can you put my name down please 👍🏼
  • Long range suggests a good blow there..
  • edited August 2023
    I was going to submit final numbers for the Apple Cafe lunch this week - so ideally let me know by Thursday if you're coming.

Of course, you can decide to come along at any point between now and setting-off - and I'm sure there'll be plenty on offer at the cafe to choose from there and then. Or grab some fish and chips at Wells.

Cheers!

Martin L
    Paul S
    Dan Hall
    Toma
    Matt Scales
    Chris L
    Taff
    Simon Defo
    JT
    Julien
    Stephen Douglas (GF)
    Trevor Lunnon
    Claire Duguid
    Caroline Baker
    Lee Cooke
    Robert B
    Matt Palmer
    Robert Howard
    Graham A
    Martin H
    Tania W
    Graham McK
    Tokes

• The Apple Cafe have our order. They will prepare gluten-free goodies too. Let Stephen have first dibs.

They have asked us to remember to put our bikes in the bike parking area in the car park - and not wheel the bikes to the cafe itself. Maybe a couple of lightweight bike locks are a good idea to bring along.
  • I would like to come but I have a show the night before and probably won’t be home until 1.30am..will prepare as if I am coming but if I don’t show it’ll be because I’m knackered! TA!
  • edited September 2023
    Carmelo... I'm sure we will see you on Friday! Have a good show.

All... It looks on course to be the hottest-ever Wells ride. Keep hydrated and slap on the cream. Looks like a 100-mile headwind too: so let's keep the group riding tidy and share the front, but only if you feel strong enough. Do not feel guilty about staying at the back of the pack. There are plenty of willing diesel engines in our peloton looking for 'training'.

The essentials...

Bring front and rear lights. Sunset is around 7.30pm.

8am - Rhubarb & Mustard for coffee.

8.30am - Grand depart. Two even-numbered-sized groups, two minutes apart.

11am approx - Mid-morning coffee at Ely Cathedral. Park to the side of the cathedral, near Cafe Nero. We set off as one group from here.

2pm approx - Lunch at Apple Cafe. Park in the car park. Do not wheel bikes to the cafe itself. We have a specially arranged room. Please pay £14 each. This will include a small tip.

4pm approx - Arrival at Wells-Next-The-Sea. Fish & chips for those still hungry (unlikely!). There's a nice coffee shop. Ice cream a nice idea too.

5.30pm approx - Arrival at King's Lynn rail station. Let those needing an early train go first. Maximum 8 bikes per train to Cambridge: but all is at the discretion of the stationmaster, so please be courteous and compliant. Trains: 17:10, 17:40, 18:10, 18:40, 19:10, 19:40, 20:10, 20:42, 21.42, 22:42! All trains require a change at Cambridge. If you can, I think if you buy train tickets in a group of 4, there is a discount.

For those less rushed to get home and keen to chat about the day's exploits, the Fenman Arms pub opposite the station will let us put our bikes in their beer garden and welcome us back again. The pub does take-out, and the journey home with a beer as the sun sets through the window is one of my favourite bits. No pub food is ordered here this year. Load up on crisps if carbs are required. Note: There is a Morrisons not far from the station.

If you fancy this ride at any point between now and Friday morning - you are very welcome. Just let us know on the forum at some point so we know to wait for you.

Cheers!
    Martin - 07977652247

Martin L
    Paul S
    Dan Hall
    Toma
    Matt Scales
    Chris L
    Taff
    Simon Defo
    JT
    Julien
    Stephen Douglas (GF)
    Trevor Lunnon
    Claire Duguid
    Caroline Baker
    Lee Cooke
    Robert B
    Matt Palmer
    Robert Howard
    Graham A
    Martin H
    Tania W
    Graham McK
    Tokes
    Carmelo

• @Martin L , sorry for late call, can you add one more, Steve Andrews. Thank you.
  • A tail wind to Kings Lynn! What a treat!
  • Will be meeting Tania and Graham Mck in Ely. I have said we should get there about 1030, does that sound about right?
  • edited September 2023
    Hi Martin - yep - Ely arrival around 10.30-11am.

Martin L
    Dan Hall
    Toma
    Matt Scales
    Chris L
    Taff
    Simon Defo
    JT
    Julien
    Stephen Douglas (GF)
    Trevor Lunnon
    Claire Duguid
    Caroline Baker
    Lee Cooke
    Robert B
    Matt Palmer
    Robert Howard
    Graham A
    Martin H
    Tania W
    Graham McK
    Tokes
    Carmelo
    Steve A
    Vince F

Carmelo and Steve have been added to the lunch order.

Here's the full route:
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28509468
  • Martin, can The Fenman pub layout a large paddling pool with buckets of beers on ice.
  • Almost forgot... There's a commemorative badge for all ride finishers.

• Nice, commemorative 'hotest ride' badges!

Speaking of heat... if you need additional drinks en route, there is Burrows newsagents and a Spar on High St Ely, just around corner from where we stop by Cathedral.

Also, Massingham Stores in Great Massingham... I seem to remember stopping here for fluid before on the other sunny ride!

See you tomorrow!
  • Good shout Matt. A pit-stop at Great Massingham might be essential.

Talking about drinks... Rhubarb & Mustard have just been in touch to say they can only take cash payments as their card machine has overheated. Please bring good old paper money and coins. They are open from 8am, especially for us.

Cheers!
  • Overheated from all the business I hope!
  • Martin. Just checking details for tomorrow, thought I had already signed up....OOOps sorry. See you in the morning Jason
  • Martin L
    Dan Hall
    Toma
    Matt Scales
    Chris L
    Taff
    Simon Defo
    JT
    Julien
    Stephen Douglas (GF)
    Trevor Lunnon
    Claire Duguid
    Caroline Baker
    Lee Cooke
    Robert B
    Matt Palmer
    Robert Howard
    Graham A
    Martin H
    Tania W
    Graham McK
    Tokes
    Carmelo
    Steve A
    Vince F
    Jason
  • Another great day Martin! Thanks for organising.
  • Yep thanks Martin a brilliant day out on the bike.
  • Great day if tough at times ..fun and banter too ..so glad I made it ..thanks all especially Martin!
  • Thank you Martin, had a great day 👍🏼
  • Looks like I missed a cracker! Next year for sure... I went mtb'ing up to see Geoff in Yorkshire. Great 3 days mtb'ing...

mc